Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

I disagree. I believe that it should just be much easier to buy a home in the first place.
Yes, because unqualified people buying houses worked SO WELL last time!
He has a set income level.......and that set income level can be scheduled to be withdrawn directly from those checks.

Meaning they get paid before he does..............Guaranteeing the mortgage is paid. And we are certainly not talking about him buying a mansion.............It is always better to buy than rent unless you want your fate decided by others.............

In this area.......if you can find cheap decent land in a low crime area you can get a brand new house built here very cheap.

Perhaps not as much as where he lives now but it's possible. The cost of buying would be less than that of rent.

North Florida Models - Pensacola, FL - SS Steele Homes

Doesn't cost so much in the South to build a home...........if you know how to look...........or unless you want to get fucked by a developer and overcharged for a home. Younger people should look into this and save every penny they can to get a place of their own..................

It all depends if you live in a high cost area for housing...........Plenty of places to get affordable places to live in this country. Supply and demand works both ways as California is finding out.........People are hauling ass because it costs too much only to be replaced by illegal aliens at the work place...............People leave the companies there are screwed LOL

It's a 2 edged sword.

Many people who choose rent do not do so because it's their only choice. They simply don't want all the problems of home ownership. This is particularly true of women. Once the kids are out of the house, if the woman is alone, she has no need for a house and all the care and money it takes to keep it up-kept.

The toilet is leaking, water is coming into the basement, a window doesn't open, the lawn needs to be cut, the ceiling fan quit working are all things people don't want to deal with. When renters have a problem, they simply make a phone call and the problem is solved. It's up to the landlord to find a qualified HVAC person for a reasonable rate. It's up to the landlord to have the grass cut or the snow removed from the driveway. It's up to the landlord to find a garage door repairman to fix the garage door opener.

That's the way a lot of people want to live. It's the sign of the times.

Valid points. And in the long run, you pay more for those conveniences.

The OP wants the conveniences AND low prices. He wants the gov't to force someone to accept less money for the use of their property because he did not plan for his own retirement.

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

I disagree. I believe that it should just be much easier to buy a home in the first place.
He has a set income level.......and that set income level can be scheduled to be withdrawn directly from those checks.

Meaning they get paid before he does..............Guaranteeing the mortgage is paid. And we are certainly not talking about him buying a mansion.............It is always better to buy than rent unless you want your fate decided by others.............

In this area.......if you can find cheap decent land in a low crime area you can get a brand new house built here very cheap.

Perhaps not as much as where he lives now but it's possible. The cost of buying would be less than that of rent.

Doesn't cost so much in the South to build a home...........if you know how to look...........or unless you want to get fucked by a developer and overcharged for a home. Younger people should look into this and save every penny they can to get a place of their own..................

It all depends if you live in a high cost area for housing...........Plenty of places to get affordable places to live in this country. Supply and demand works both ways as California is finding out.........People are hauling ass because it costs too much only to be replaced by illegal aliens at the work place...............People leave the companies there are screwed LOL

It's a 2 edged sword.

Many people who choose rent do not do so because it's their only choice. They simply don't want all the problems of home ownership. This is particularly true of women. Once the kids are out of the house, if the woman is alone, she has no need for a house and all the care and money it takes to keep it up-kept.

The toilet is leaking, water is coming into the basement, a window doesn't open, the lawn needs to be cut, the ceiling fan quit working are all things people don't want to deal with. When renters have a problem, they simply make a phone call and the problem is solved. It's up to the landlord to find a qualified HVAC person for a reasonable rate. It's up to the landlord to have the grass cut or the snow removed from the driveway. It's up to the landlord to find a garage door repairman to fix the garage door opener.

Free country and that is their choice..............the savings from what I talked about would pay for a lot of that if they set a little aside...............

A lot of that can be dealt with by watching DIY videos.............or finding a cheap handy man repair guy in the thrifty nickel........

Again...........a choice...........and I have chosen to own versus rent........

This is interesting. WHO ARE THE LANDLORDS? Why is it some places have rents so high they are vacant for years. Folks, real estate is not free market. Certain groups bought stuff up decades ago. Very troubling that this concept is not addressed. Buying property is not free market since you have to pay ridiculous taxes on the property, plus the ridiculous amounts to the "realtors."

IMO, the local governments should take over a property if it is not leased or purchased within 12 months. Rather than creepy, ethnic syndicates own the property.

If it's your property, it's your business what you do with it.

As long as the property taxes are paid and the property is kept up to code, it's the owners decision on what to do with that property--not the governments.

I didn't say they should be mortgaging themselves out of a life. I said it should be easier to buy a home, as in, CHEAPER HOMES.

Yep. Trailers.

It is easier to buy than to rent in Califormia. The home that I own right now, was a foreclosure that originally sold for 750,000, and got it for 210,000 back in 2011 and got a very good mortgage rate Comparable properties are selling for about 600,000 now.

Just down the street from my home there are some loft apartments that just grand opened and they are asking 3500 a month for an 1100 sq. ft. 2 bd 2ba.

Unbelievable.

It's a 2 edged sword.

Free country and that is their choice..............the savings from what I talked about would pay for a lot of that if they set a little aside...............

A lot of that can be dealt with by watching DIY videos.............or finding a cheap handy man repair guy in the thrifty nickel........

I think it's more than just cost, it's the time involved as well.

On the weekend when I'm working outside in the summer, my tenants go to their cars with picnic baskets packed out for the day with the family. Me? I'm stuck working.

When they get home for the evening after work, the only thing they have to worry about is what to make for dinner. Me? I'm doing paperwork or attending to a repair on a unit.

Some of my tenants take vacations--sometimes to Florida, California, Vegas or wherever. Me? I haven't taken a vacation in over 30 years. I spend my vacations at home catching up on things.

So if I actually make a profit or even a good profit, that's too much to ask for?

Having to Decide between Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee.... great planning

Red state paradise. :laugh:
LOL

The great liberal laughing about people having a home even if it's a mobile home.............I'm sure many in California would be glad to upgrade to that from a tent..............LOL

I showed a site......where a Brand new small house could be built for 77k........brick house.....tell me where you can do that in liberal paradise.............LOL

It is easier to buy than to rent in Califormia. The home that I own right now, was a foreclosure that originally sold for 750,000, and got it for 210,000 back in 2011 and got a very good mortgage rate Comparable properties are selling for about 600,000 now.

Just down the street from my home there are some loft apartments that just grand opened and they are asking 3500 a month for an 1100 sq. ft. 2 bd 2ba.

Unbelievable.

My cousin lives in California and we met at a family gathering this past summer. She told me she rents out the back of her house to somebody for like $900.00 a month. There is not much there in the back of the house. Just a bedroom and bathroom. She said her renter was too happy to find it.

It's a 2 edged sword.

I think it's more than just cost, it's the time involved as well.

On the weekend when I'm working outside in the summer, my tenants go to their cars with picnic baskets packed out for the day with the family. Me? I'm stuck working.

When they get home for the evening after work, the only thing they have to worry about is what to make for dinner. Me? I'm doing paperwork or attending to a repair on a unit.

Some of my tenants take vacations--sometimes to Florida, California, Vegas or wherever. Me? I haven't taken a vacation in over 30 years. I spend my vacations at home catching up on things.

So if I actually make a profit or even a good profit, that's too much to ask for?
Where the hell did you get the idea I'm for telling you what to do with your property.

The only thing I did was show cheaper places to live..........and suggestions for the OP.

You do whatever is best for you...........and I'll do the same......

That is everyone's choice..............I never once said I favor rent control on this thread. I gave options on how to find something else..........

You sound like Gracie and what she was talking about in California

Go to south Carolina or Wyoming.
"Going" costs money, and it's not easy to do when you have a cat. I have been thinking about going to Johnson City, TN, but getting there is the problem.

Everywhere they are raising rents like that. The rich get richer and the poor get homeless.

Yup it is the Rethugicon utopia!

Perfect world, I own rentals. I worked my ass off and invested wisely. Living the American Dream

It's a 2 edged sword.

Valid points. And in the long run, you pay more for those conveniences.

The OP wants the conveniences AND low prices. He wants the gov't to force someone to accept less money for the use of their property because he did not plan for his own retirement.

At times people ask me if I have a job? They just count the rental units and start adding up rents in their heads.

The truth is I get an income tax refund every year between my full-time job and being a landlord. With all the money it costs to run this place, I write it off and get a refund, so there is no profit most years. Last year was the first time I showed a profit in ten years only because I had no empty units the previous year.

What people don't do is ask what I have to pay to keep the place going. That's when the real story is learned. What I pay for water and sewer every month, what I pay for mortgage, what I pay in property taxes, what I pay for insurance. After all that is paid, then I have the money to do all the repairs and maintenance here.

For whatever reason, people think that just because you have rental property, you must be wealthy. The truth is small time landlords like myself don't see any profit, and at times have to take a loan out for big repairs like a furnace replacement, new roof, or new windows.

Having to Decide between Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee.... great planning

LOL

The great liberal laughing about people having a home even if it's a mobile home.............I'm sure many in California would be glad to upgrade to that from a tent..............LOL

I showed a site......where a Brand new small house could be built for 77k........brick house.....tell me where you can do that in liberal paradise.............LOL

I'm not the one bitching about housing costs.
Now tell me trailers aren't more affordable housing.

You've taken the first steps towards common sense and liberalism.

Congratulations.

Right.

View attachment 230576
You can roll your eyes all you want, doesn't change the truth of what I said.

LOL

I'm not bitching either...........I gave suggestions to the OP...........Mobile homes and trailers are cheap places to live............

Nothing wrong with poor finding a way to have a roof over there head..........Nothing wrong with a guy picking up your garbage on the street for a living either..............

To each his own...............You made a sarcastic remark........I replied in kind...........

You've taken the first steps towards common sense and liberalism.

Congratulations.

Right.

View attachment 230576
You can roll your eyes all you want, doesn't change the truth of what I said.

Commons sense liberalism? Let's look at that:

We have 40 million people in the US without healthcare insurance; mostly because they can't afford it. To solve this problem, I'm going to make a law that everybody must have health insurance they can't afford, and when they can't get it, I'm going to keep their badly needed income tax check.

The way to stop criminals with guns is to disarm law abiding citizens.

If we raise taxes on job producers, that will encourage them to create more jobs.

If we limit the size of soda cups, they won't buy two of the smaller coups, they will just drink less soda.

To make American Thin again, I'm going to force all restaurants to put a calorie count on every item they sell, because people don't understand a big mac combo is fattening.

Yep, liberalism is common sense alright.

LOL

I'm not bitching either...........I gave suggestions to the OP...........Mobile homes and trailers are cheap places to live............

Nothing wrong with poor finding a way to have a roof over there head..........Nothing wrong with a guy picking up your garbage on the street for a living either..............

To each his own...............You made a sarcastic remark........I replied in kind...........

This is not the first time paying rent has been a struggle for some people. This was very frequent many years ago. What people did was get family, friends, and sometimes even strangers to share an apartment or house with. That's how they used to solve the problem. Granted, I would never want anybody living with me, but it's better than being homeless.

If government forcibly limits the amount of rent a landlord can charge, there are going to be a LOT of empty buildings around, failing into disrepair. The number of units available to rent will be greatly reduced, so people would have a difficult time finding a place to live if they are looking to rent. This happens when government puts artificial price controls on things. Look what happened to the availability of gasoline when the government controlled pricing. The Supply DISAPPEARED.

So, again the unintended consequences of Liberal/Progressive policies comes back to bite you in the @ss.

LOL

This is not the first time paying rent has been a struggle for some people. This was very frequent many years ago. What people did was get family, friends, and sometimes even strangers to share an apartment or house with. That's how they used to solve the problem. Granted, I would never want anybody living with me, but it's better than being homeless.
Or they can haul ass, change jobs, and find a cheaper place to live............where property taxes aren't through the roof and the cost of living isn't high...........

I've looked at the prices out west and major cities ..........they want 250,000 for a dang dump......To each his own.

Forum List

Back