Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

Having to Decide between Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee.... great planning

Red state paradise. :laugh:

I'm just shocked they haven't tried to sing the praises of Arkansas or Mississippi; yet. True story. I have pretty much decided that if we make a forage into a new place, we try to stay at Hyatt Hotels. I trust them (barely) to be pretty consistent in terms of cleanliness and service. Anyway....one of the things that I'm looking into was the Air BNB market as an alternative to hotels. Haven't done it yet but am interested. The Air BNB rentals for 3 days in some parts of Tennessee and northern Mississippi were cheaper than the Hyatt in Memphis. I could imagine what the houses looked like.

When I was young most everyone had a roommate in apartments.
Having to Decide between Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee.... great planning

LOL

The great liberal laughing about people having a home even if it's a mobile home.............I'm sure many in California would be glad to upgrade to that from a tent..............LOL

I showed a site......where a Brand new small house could be built for 77k........brick house.....tell me where you can do that in liberal paradise.............LOL

I'm not the one bitching about housing costs.
Now tell me trailers aren't more affordable housing.
I'm not bitching either...........I gave suggestions to the OP...........Mobile homes and trailers are cheap places to live............

Nothing wrong with poor finding a way to have a roof over there head..........Nothing wrong with a guy picking up your garbage on the street for a living either..............

To each his own...............You made a sarcastic remark........I replied in kind...........

This is not the first time paying rent has been a struggle for some people. This was very frequent many years ago. What people did was get family, friends, and sometimes even strangers to share an apartment or house with. That's how they used to solve the problem. Granted, I would never want anybody living with me, but it's better than being homeless.

I love all these threads by Trumpster "conservatives" that go on to spout the usual statist crap.

I'm a conservative, but .... RIIIIIGHT.

Michigan House Introduces Bill to Repeal Rent Control Act. Representatives in the Michigan House have introduced a bill (HB4456) to repeal the Michigan Rent Control Act. ... When prices are capped, people have less incentive to fix up and rent out their basement flat, or to build rental property.
Michigan House Introduces Bill to Repeal Rent Control Act - RPOA …
--------------------------------------------------------
We have a Republican maj.

What rent control does is discourage people from investing in property and becoming a landlord. Then renters would have no place to go. If anything, encourage people to become landlord because that will create more supply. The more supply, the less competition.

I love all these threads by Trumpster "conservatives" that go on to spout the usual statist crap.

Hardly any here in support of price fixing.............LOL

The OP does. There's another thread by a so-called 'conservative' supporting single-payer. Anyone wanna bet Trump will support single-payer before his term is up?

Hardly any here in support of price fixing.............LOL

The OP does. There's another thread by a so-called 'conservative' supporting single-payer. Anyone wanna bet Trump will support single-payer before his term is up?
You put up a straw man quote and I responded.........one person thinking that it's right doesn't equate all the posters........

Very true.

Most of us are different shades of purple. The conservatives here, for whatever reason, seem to have a blood pact with one another to see who can be more belligerent, hate-filled, and just downright mean. Anytime you have absolutists positions, you run the risk of hypocrisy. That the OP is in favor of rent control is hilarious when it is one of the most liberal positions one can hold.

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

All I can say is rent is the wrong way to go. If the rent is too high then move, it's not yours to begin with.

LOL

The great liberal laughing about people having a home even if it's a mobile home.............I'm sure many in California would be glad to upgrade to that from a tent..............LOL

I showed a site......where a Brand new small house could be built for 77k........brick house.....tell me where you can do that in liberal paradise.............LOL

I'm not bitching either...........I gave suggestions to the OP...........Mobile homes and trailers are cheap places to live............

Nothing wrong with poor finding a way to have a roof over there head..........Nothing wrong with a guy picking up your garbage on the street for a living either..............

To each his own...............You made a sarcastic remark........I replied in kind...........

This is not the first time paying rent has been a struggle for some people. This was very frequent many years ago. What people did was get family, friends, and sometimes even strangers to share an apartment or house with. That's how they used to solve the problem. Granted, I would never want anybody living with me, but it's better than being homeless.

In the 60's it was very common for people to live together. Even though I was a child back then, I don't recall many single people having their own apartment. Unmarried couples was a no-no back then, so many guys and gals had roommates of their same gender.

Very true.

Most of us are different shades of purple. The conservatives here, for whatever reason, seem to have a blood pact with one another to see who can be more belligerent, hate-filled, and just downright mean. Anytime you have absolutists positions, you run the risk of hypocrisy. That the OP is in favor of rent control is hilarious when it is one of the most liberal positions one can hold.
His was an emotional response, rather than a factual, studied response to his problem. Just as Dems are known to do.

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

The fairest way to control rental prices is to allow the new construction of rental properties. That way, the rent is determined by the true marginal cost of building the next unit. The free market will work out the problems.

Sadly, many government entities restrict new building. One can only guess how this process works...

Yep, they did. It was uncommon to see it otherwise, even in the 70’s.
LOL

In the 60's it was very common for people to live together. Even though I was a child back then, I don't recall many single people having their own apartment. Unmarried couples was a no-no back then, so many guys and gals had roommates of their same gender.

I was poor in college, and to afford an apartment I got room mates to share the rent, and other expenses. I was poor when I had my first job, and going to grad school at night. I lived in a very cheap, crappy apartment in a bad neighborhood where I would hear gun shots at night. When my lease was up, I got together with a few guys at work, and we rented an affordable house, and again split the rent and expenses. Eventually, I made enough money to afford buying a home.

Many Asian, Indian, and Hispanic new immigrants share apartments, and expenses to save money to then buy their own home. It's not rocket science. It can be done.

The fairest way to control rental prices is to allow the new construction of rental properties. That way, the rent is determined by the true marginal cost of building the next unit. The free market will work out the problems.

Sadly, many government entities restrict new building. One can only guess how this process works...

That is very true because some cities believe that by restricting rental property, they can stop the flow of lower income people into their upper-class community. When a neighborhood starts to go downhill, it's usually rental properties that usher the lowlifes in.

There is one town outside of the Cleveland area that's a bit in the sticks. They created an ordinance that no home could be built less than 2,500 sq ft. Their belief is lowlifes sneak into nice areas by buying very small homes that are worth less money and somewhat affordable for lower income people.

I was poor in college, and to afford an apartment I got room mates to share the rent, and other expenses. I was poor when I had my first job, and going to grad school at night. I lived in a very cheap, crappy apartment in a bad neighborhood where I would hear gun shots at night. When my lease was up, I got together with a few guys at work, and we rented an affordable house, and again split the rent and expenses. Eventually, I made enough money to afford buying a home.

Many Asian, Indian, and Hispanic new immigrants share apartments, and expenses to save money to then buy their own home. It's not rocket science. It can be done.

Oh yes, it can be done, but you give up a lot of privacy and independence in order to do that. Many people are not willing to make such a sacrifice. We all love our own space with nobody to bother us.

Quit renting and throwing away money. Buy a house. My house note is 485 a month and that includes full insurance coverage on a 3 bedroom, 2 bath brick home on over an acre of land with a dozen huge oak trees and it's on a recently repaved road. Oh yea, and that rate is locked in. I have a little piece of paper that guarantees that rate for the life of the loan. And paying more than the required amount will pay off the house sooner.
Bull shit.

It is bullshit.

When I first got the house the mortgage was 425 a month, but thanks to homeowners insurance DOUBLING under the Obama administration, it's up to almost 500 a month now.

Everywhere they are raising rents like that. The rich get richer and the poor get homeless.
No. Most housing complexes raise rent only in small degrees. Let's not go crazy here, just to engage in rich bashing.

I guess this kind of thing is all about whether it's YOUR ox being gored or not, eh?
Well since there's 265 apartments in this complex, and dozens of them are being vacated in a short period of time, obviously that is a stupid thing to say. And your post is "all about" YOUR choice to take a shot at me, rather than discuss the topic.
EH ????

Forum List

Back