Would You Call this Good Luck or Bad Luck?

ClaireH

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2020
Midwest US
Either way you call it, it's an incredible story of a life almost lost due to basically nature. When I first read it, I thought now this guy has a lot of luck to have survived such an almost unimaginable experience...but then I thought to ask the USMB experts about their take;)

Any fishermen have any stories that could have been worse than what played out? I once caught an electric eel down in Texas at night, but I guess that doesn't count for much compared to this guy! lol

Either way you call it, it's an incredible story of a life almost lost due to basically nature. When I first read it, I thought now this guy has a lot of luck to have survived such an almost unimaginable experience...but then I thought to ask the USMB experts about their take;)

Any fishermen have any stories that could have been worse than what played out? I once caught an electric eel down in Texas at night, but I guess that doesn't count for much compared to this guy! lol

Most experts don't know jack.

I can envision the whale hanging out with the pod claiming: "I caught a human this big!"

WOW!!
Those are incredibly rare in Texas!
Did you pick it up?

The scariest thing that ever happened to me while fishing....
We were wade fishing in the surf on Matagorda Island when a large shark decided he wanted my fish.
Salt water stringers are very thick to withstand the toothier fish found in saltwater,around 3/16 of an inch,so when the shark grabbed the fish I was dragged out to sea around 30 or 40 feet before he chewed through the stringer.
Scared the living shit out of me!!!
From then on I tied the stringer to a piece of 60 lb monofilament so it would break if it ever happened again.

Exceptionally good-------the whale went through extra steps to save the mans life not intending to kill him. Whales are kinder than humans.

WOW!!
Did you pick it up?
NO! I was in middle school at the time and went fishing with my granddad and a brother. My immediate reaction, once I saw the "long, white snake" was to throw in my pole, but Granddad grabbed my pole. I didn't watch, but know he cut off his mouth to save his lure or part of the mouth. It was a story I retold often I'm sure lol I really never liked fishing much before, and after that not at all lol

Seriously, another earlier fishing trip, when I was about 9, was with my dad and same brother...different trip and state. We were tied to a man-made dam at it was around dusk. A snake slithered into the boat somehow but my dad was able to hook onto its middle and throw it out. At that point, I figured that as long as a boat wasn't tied to the shore or a dam that a snake couldn't swim on board. Of course, that's wrong! lol

We were wade fishing in the surf on Matagorda Island when a large shark decided he wanted my fish.
Salt water stringers are very thick to withstand the toothier fish found in saltwater,around 3/16 of an inch,so when the shark grabbed the fish I was dragged out to sea around 30 or 40 feet before he chewed through the stringer.
From then on I tied the stringer to a piece of 60 lb monofilament so it would break if it ever happened again.
Scary on steroids I'd say! Yikes, I cannot imagine going through that experience, now let me make sure I'm following the visual....the shark jumped in the boat for the fish? The shark snagged the fish as you were holding the fish? As in jumping up to get it or when the bait was already in the water? However it was, you couldn't pay me enough money to emulate! lol

My biggest fear is sharks actually, more than heights, depths, small spaces, or other common phobias. Snakes just creep me out, but I'm not really afraid in general. I can't say I fear whales of any size, as I never plan to dive down to study them. Sharks do what they do and I respect the heck out of them...just don't plan to swim next to any like I used to do every year as a kid. Jeezz....so carefree then, swimming around in the ocean without a care in the world...way out past sandbars at times in Hilton Head, NC...I can't even believe my mom allowed it as she's always been err....sensitive to dangers.....that one escaped her! Not much reporting about shark deaths I guess at the time.

WOW!!
Did you pick it up?
NO! I was in middle school at the time and went fishing with my granddad and a brother. My immediate reaction, once I saw the "long, white snake" was to throw in my pole, but Granddad grabbed my pole. I didn't watch, but know he cut off his mouth to save his lure or part of the mouth. It was a story I retold often I'm sure lol I really never liked fishing much before, and after that not at all lol

Seriously, another earlier fishing trip, when I was about 9, was with my dad and same brother...different trip and state. We were tied to a man-made dam at it was around dusk. A snake slithered into the boat somehow but my dad was able to hook onto its middle and throw it out. At that point, I figured that as long as a boat wasn't tied to the shore or a dam that a snake couldn't swim on board. Of course, that's wrong! lol

I've had snakes try and climb into my boat on several occasions.
And they were persistant about it!!! They'd get close and I'd push em back into the water with the boat hook and they'd come right back and try again.
You just had to fire up the trolling motor and outrun em.

Another unnerving thing is having a twelve foot gator follow you around while you're in a kayak knowing you cant out run it.
Started carrying a pistol after that.

Last edited:
Scary on steroids I'd say! Yikes, I cannot imagine going through that experience, now let me make sure I'm following the visual....you were using fish for bait and the shark grabbed the fish while you were holding onto it? As in jumping up to get it or when the bait was already in the water? However it was, you couldn't pay me enough money to emulate! lol

My biggest fear is sharks actually, more than heights, depths, small spaces, or otehr comon phobias. Snakes just creep me out, but I'm not really afraid in general. I can't say I fear whales of any size, as I never plan to dive down to study them. Sharks do what they do and I respect the heck out of them...just don't plan to swim next to any like I used to do every year as a kid. Jeezz....so carefree then, swimming around in the ocean without a care in the world...way out past sandbars at times in Hilton Head, NC...I can't even believe my mom allowed it as she's always been err....sensitive to dangers.....that one escaped her! Not much reporting about shark deaths I guess at the time.

No,I had a stringer of trout and a few redfish tied to my wading belt and the shark decided he wanted my fish.
They look like this...very thick line!!
You run the loop under your wade belt and pass the brass spike through the hole to keep it attatched to you.
You push the spike through the fish's lower jaw or through the gills and out the mouth and back through the loop.
1623532983866.png

1623532471938.png

This is wade fishing and a stringer of fish....
Trout and redfish.
1623533105003.png

Last edited:
Scary on steroids I'd say! Yikes, I cannot imagine going through that experience, now let me make sure I'm following the visual....the shark jumped in the boat for the fish? The shark snagged the fish as you were holding the fish? As in jumping up to get it or when the bait was already in the water? However it was, you couldn't pay me enough money to emulate! lol

My biggest fear is sharks actually, more than heights, depths, small spaces, or other common phobias. Snakes just creep me out, but I'm not really afraid in general. I can't say I fear whales of any size, as I never plan to dive down to study them. Sharks do what they do and I respect the heck out of them...just don't plan to swim next to any like I used to do every year as a kid. Jeezz....so carefree then, swimming around in the ocean without a care in the world...way out past sandbars at times in Hilton Head, NC...I can't even believe my mom allowed it as she's always been err....sensitive to dangers.....that one escaped her! Not much reporting about shark deaths I guess at the time.

I cant believe I've never been hit by a stingray in all my years of wade fishing.
You're supposed to shuffle your feet when walking in the water to avoid stepping on one.
The stings are very nasty!!!
1623533432552.png

Jonah got out too right?
As a soft-agnostic (making the claim I don't know whether God exists or not, compared to a hard agnostic who claims nobody can know if God exists or not) I am always open to new information to support religious claims.

This recent occurrence supports that it is possible to survive in the mouth of a whale, yet the legend of Bartley living in a whale's stomach until his shipmates cut open the stomach and saved him (in 1891 I think or so) has been deemed false.

This man did survive, however, after his shipmates cut open the whale's stomach and found him alive. Incredible stuff.

I cant believe I've never been hit by a stingray in all my years of wade fishing.
You're supposed to shuffle your feet when walking in the water to avoid stepping on one.
View attachment 500580
lol so funny you brought that up about rays! Recent trip to Bahamas...water so clear you could see everything, including the bottom of course, and what did I do at first by habit? Wearing "swim shoes" began dragging my feet, making the water all sandy looking, since I do that by habit in FL/NC/SC lol It was amazing not to worry about being stung by jellyfish either, but you still could see a few clear ones that were really hard to spot so swim shoes were a good idea anyway;)

That fish line looked heavy! Was that dinner for 12? EDITED: went back to check out the fish....make that dinner for 112? lol

View attachment 500580
lol so funny you brought that up about rays! Recent trip to Bahamas...water so clear you could see everything, including the bottom of course, and what did I do at first by habit? Wearing "swim shoes" began dragging my feet, making the water all sandy looking, since I do that by habit in FL/NC/SC lol It was amazing not to worry about being stung by jellyfish either, but you still could see a few clear ones that were really hard to spot so swim shoes were a good idea anyway;)

That fish line looked heavy! Was that dinner for 12? EDITED: went back to check out the fish....make that dinner for 112? lol

The Wife and I go to the Bahamas frequently,Elizabeth Harbor to be exact.
They cant seem to understand why I head for the beach or boat when the stingrays show up.
I know they're tame and are just looking for a hand out but they still give me the willies.
We used to go gigging for flounder a lot at San Luis pass and you had to keep an eye out for stingrays.
A flounder will make a distinct pattern in the sand while waiting for it's prey to swim by.
A stingray does as well,they're a bit more round and it looks like they have a stick behind them.
Here's a flounder buried in the sand waiting for lunch to come by...
1623535487138.png

Stingray buried in sand....notice the "stick"....
1623535582328.png

Had a huge stingray follow me around for hours while gigging one night,I assume he was attracted by the light in the water. Spooky as hell!!
I seriously thought about hitting him with my gig.

View attachment 500580

They cant seem to understand why I head for the beach or boat when the stingrays show up.
I know they're tame and are just looking for a hand out but they still give me the willies.
We used to go gigging for flounder a lot at San Luis pass and you had to keep an eye out for stingrays.
A flounder will make a distinct pattern in the sand while waiting for it's prey to swim by.
A stingray does as well,they're a bit more round and it looks like they have a stick behind them.
View attachment 500594
View attachment 500595
Had a huge stingray follow me around for hours while gigging one night,I assume he was attracted by the light in the water. Spooky as hell!!
Very nice! My husband and I stayed west of Cable Beach in a townhome complex that was gated. It was an amazing adventure that I'd recommend for anyone who enjoys the beach life. Even the jitneys were fun to ride! Worth the cost for sure to see it at least once.

Well, it is a sign from God letting us to know that we are in the tribulation period.

Matthew 12:39
He answered, “A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.

Matthew 16:3

and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.

View attachment 500580

View attachment 500594
View attachment 500595
Very nice! My husband and I stayed west of Cable Beach in a townhome complex that was gated. It was an amazing adventure that I'd recommend for anyone who enjoys the beach life. Even the jitneys were fun to ride! Worth the cost for sure to see it at least once.

We go to Elizabeth Harbor so we can rent a boat while we're there
5549AA56-06DE-449F-9BDC-036305A40EFB.jpeg

5549AA56-06DE-449F-9BDC-036305A40EFB.jpeg
BFB27E65-AFBB-4514-A23E-4CE1797FAB19.jpeg

B89D065E-CE06-4EFD-9026-EA8029E78B20.jpeg

4911A7B4-4E00-4016-B812-CA8446A0FAC9.jpeg

F5A02003-5A77-4EB3-B3C4-8694F7F638B0.jpeg

Forum List

Back