Worst Job You Ever Had

That reminds me- I helped a buddy on a crew pouring sidewalks for a new restaurant. We were there at least 12 hours. Hot back breaking work.
Sub contractor didn't know what he was doing. He was gone looking for a float machine when the cement showed up. General contractor and big boss ended up shoveling it around with me trying to help LOL.

Anyhow- 3 weeks later they ended up tearing it all out and redoing it.

Ive never "applied" for a job. The jobs have always come courting me. They make sure i am happy. Ive been very lucky.

Selling cemetery property and funeral packages.

It wasn't a bad job per se - but it was a piss-poor fit for this average Joe. Some of the people doing it made a good living at it and the lady that ran the crew seemed destined for nothing else. It takes a certain personality...

That reminds me- I helped a buddy on a crew pouring sidewalks for a new restaurant. We were there at least 12 hours. Hot back breaking work.
Sub contractor didn't know what he was doing. He was gone looking for a float machine when the cement showed up. General contractor and big boss ended up shoveling it around with me trying to help LOL.

Anyhow- 3 weeks later they ended up tearing it all out and redoing it.

Did you learn any new ways to cuss that day?!?

:lol:

Wheel barrowing cement on narrow board planks in order to build columns for a pier in a bay during a summer in Ocean City, N.J. when I was in my late teens. It was hot, humid, with greenhead flies landing and biting me while I was working. Had to keep my arms on the wheelbarrow handles so it didn't fall with cement into the water below. It was semi-torturous mind over matter to do the job.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger though, eh Kiddo? :D

Rehabbing apartment buildings on Chicago's West Side. Besides the sheer quantity of rodents and insects, you wouldn't believe the filth in the units. Most of them we would have to strip to the bare studs.

I can still remember the stench, over 30 years later.

I spent one day picking strawberries. At the end of the day, I had a heat headache, the back of my neck was hideously burned, my back hurt...and I had exactly enough money to buy a Big Gulp.

I didn't go back, so I don't know if it qualifies as a job. There were whole families working in the field, I was and am full of admiration for people who would stick with that.

I've washed dishes and delivered pizzas..and that's work and doesn't pay for shit.

But the WORST job I ever had was working in the accounting dept of a John Deere dealership. I billed people, I did the inventory, I determined depreciation and resale rates...I sat about 2 feet from my supervisor and I absolutely LOATHED that job. I would have picked strawberries for the rest of my life instead.

What is the worst job you ever had?

Mine was a glass cutter for a window factory. 115 degrees in the shop and constantly bleeding from small cuts on my hands. They where not big on personal protective equipment.

Scrapping boat hulls, plumbing yachts, and fiber glass work.

What is the worst job you ever had?

Mine was a glass cutter for a window factory. 115 degrees in the shop and constantly bleeding from small cuts on my hands. They where not big on personal protective equipment.

scraping hulls, bottom jobs, fiberglass work, marine plumbing, and asbestos remediation. Filthy, hot, stinky nasty, itchy, toxic, disgusting work.

Worked in a dry cleaning shop running a steam presser. Everywhere else in the shop it was a balmy 105. Where I worked it was 140. I could handle it for maybe 20 minutes at a time.
The owner's wife was a drunk and kept grabbing cash from the till and going next door for pints of vodka. When her husband figured out he was being robbed. she blamed me and I got fired. So did the next 2 guys.

Somebody, I swear I don't know who, put a brick through the window one night when I was very drunk.

Delivering firewood while in high school.....Beat the piss out of my Ford Courier.

The worst was delivering to celebrities in Beverly hills and whatnot......Had to hump entire cords of wood all over their damn huge properties, and they were all cheap as hell. Only one out of probably 75, Glenn Ford, slipped me a fifty......Other than that, they were all uppity cheap bastards.

One good thing about it, when Football hell week came around, I was bustin' it out, kickin' everybody's ass.

When I worked for the cable company I spent a great deal of time crawling under peoples houses. The best are 70 model single wide trailers with dead animals and spiders. You get 2 maybe 3 cinderblocks high.

Once I was putting internet in a customers daughters room. I crawl under the desk and when I come out from under it there was a 15 yo naked girl standing there. I took off running and left my tools and everything there. Called the boss and he contacted the customer to explain and hopefully keep me out of jail. Father states that daughter has a problem and she does that sometimes. Why did he allow her to follow me around while I was working?

Forum List

Back