Worst Job You Ever Had

What is the worst job you ever had?

Mine was a glass cutter for a window factory. 115 degrees in the shop and constantly bleeding from small cuts on my hands. They where not big on personal protective equipment.
Can we assume you are pro-union today?

NO not pro-union. I did work under the CWA for a while. Hated it.

Knowing then what I know now I would have demanded PPE and gotten it. I was young and dumb.

Mine was a glass cutter for a window factory. 115 degrees in the shop and constantly bleeding from small cuts on my hands. They where not big on personal protective equipment.

Currently doing the same thing....

Except I'm making a pathetic wage.....

I suppose a few bucks is better than none...

I have a degree tho...

I used to make great money as a machine operator .... I was content with that and then the collapse happened and that was that...

Second worst job I had was inspecting GM and Ford vehicles coming off railroad cars for damages.

Imagine being in the middle of a 2 square mile parking lot in 100 degree heat, or -10 degree cold with a wind chill of -25.

Second worst job I had was inspecting GM and Ford vehicles coming off railroad cars for damages.

Imagine being in the middle of a 2 square mile parking lot in 100 degree heat, or -10 degree cold with a wind chill of -25.

I worked at the Houston turning basin in the Port of Houston ware the Volkswagen came in. I was the guy who put the two gallons of gas in all the cars. Super suck fest.

I worked at the Houston turning basin in the Port of Houston ware the Volkswagen came in. I was the guy who put the two gallons of gas in all the cars. Super suck fest.

We also did on-call inspections for Toyota and Isuzu back in the days of import quotas. Have you ever watched a car with less than 5 miles on it being crushed because it had so much damage on it that it couldn't be sold as new, and it had to be destroyed so they could import another one?

I used to make great money as a machine operator .... I was content with that and then the collapse happened and that was that...

Depending on what type, they are dieing for them here.

Brake press and steel shear....

steel....

Sheet metal. I drove truck for a roofer. I assume you can do all the automated ones to. Yeah, hang in there and do allot of networking and you will be working for real money soon. If you ever try out this way let me slip your name to some folks.

I'm also an accountant ....

That sucks too unless your a cfo or something..

Working on a pig farm, digging and chipping dead piglets out of frozen mud when the temps dropped.

Picking peaches at an orchard. First you eat too much. Then the stickiness, bees and smell drives you crazy. But at least i paid for my own Converse Chuck Taylor's and didn't have to wear those tennis shoes my mom bought from that circular bin in the meat department at the A&P.

Can we assume you are pro-union today?

NO not pro-union.
Having worked under such miserable conditions and knowing such conditions would be commonplace in many different fields today were it not for the union movement, I'm curious to know why you are not pro-union.

I did work under the CWA for a while. Hated it.
I'm sure you're not old enough to be talking about FDR's Civil Works Administration so I'll assume CWA means Communication Workers of America, which I understand is a strong and effective union. If my guess is right, what is it you hated about that experience?

We also did on-call inspections for Toyota and Isuzu back in the days of import quotas. Have you ever watched a car with less than 5 miles on it being crushed because it had so much damage on it that it couldn't be sold as new, and it had to be destroyed so they could import another one?

Na. When I saw them they still had that white film on them. Some days all I did was peel that crap off. The plus was that job got me contacts in the port, and later on some more fulfilling work.

Depending on what type, they are dieing for them here.

Brake press and steel shear....

steel....

Sheet metal. I drove truck for a roofer. I assume you can do all the automated ones to. Yeah, hang in there and do allot of networking and you will be working for real money soon. If you ever try out this way let me slip your name to some folks.

Manual operation - few were machine operated but systems like "accupress" were and I can program them... They're pretty remarkable but difficult to calibrate with tolerances less than 1/8th.

Working in a vegetable cannery, and being called "patrone" because I was the only white.

Forum List

Back