Worst Job You Ever Had

Brake press and steel shear....

steel....

Sheet metal. I drove truck for a roofer. I assume you can do all the automated ones to. Yeah, hang in there and do allot of networking and you will be working for real money soon. If you ever try out this way let me slip your name to some folks.

Manual operation - few were machine operated but systems like "accupress" were and I can program them... They're pretty remarkable but difficult to calibrate with tolerances less than 1/8th.

From what I understand, they can be thumb eaters to. I knew a Mexican guy who ran one that operated in German. When they fixed it they messed up the guys process. Cool machines though. The sheers give me the creeps. I knew it couldn't get my fingers, but they seemed so close, and that "thump, THUMP was unnerving to me. The regular operator and metal bender could haul ass though. That's truly a skilled trade.

I worked at the Houston turning basin in the Port of Houston ware the Volkswagen came in. I was the guy who put the two gallons of gas in all the cars. Super suck fest.

We also did on-call inspections for Toyota and Isuzu back in the days of import quotas. Have you ever watched a car with less than 5 miles on it being crushed because it had so much damage on it that it couldn't be sold as new, and it had to be destroyed so they could import another one?

Na. When I saw them they still had that white film on them. Some days all I did was peel that crap off. The plus was that job got me contacts in the port, and later on some more fulfilling work.

We got them with the film and the cosmoline on them. Most of the cars that were written off were due to rail workers not tightening the ties downs properly, and the frames were torn out by the hooks when the cars moved back and forth on the train.

I worked in an education service district print shop once, though, and that was a VERY cool job. I learned how to make all sorts of things, and listened to Rush on the radio every morning. I also saw how the printing press worked and helped with it. That was also cool.

Working on a pig farm, digging and chipping dead piglets out of frozen mud when the temps dropped.

Picking peaches at an orchard. First you eat too much. Then the stickiness, bees and smell drives you crazy. But at least i paid for my own Converse Chuck Taylor's and didn't have to wear those tennis shoes my mom bought from that circular bin in the meat department at the A&P.

Wanna trade jobs?

I'd love yours I'd you'd hate mine...

(I build ziploc desplays, and put ziploc bags in them)

I have a degree in computer art and I'm putting bags in a fucking display on an assembly line in which my co-workers don't even speak English.

I have to tune out the yapping they do in Spanish, which I have to hear for 12 hours a day.........

I did Waterproofing for about 6-7 months after my first stint in the Army.....We did it all. Did all the balconey's at the 4 seasons hotel in Newport Beach. We also did residential.....One of the residentials we did was Moon unit Zappa's pad up in Benedict Canyon. We did her deck, and new Jaccuzi...Anyhow, it was a three day job, me and a dude I worked with. On the first day we get there and she greets us at the door in her Bikini....Not bad a bod, but she had a friggin' big ol' black haired bush, man. I'm talkin' ZZ Top action hangin' out the sides, and a big ol' love line runnin' up to her belly button. Looked like a big black hairy catterpiller...So, on the morning of our last day, we stopped off at AM/PM to get our coffee. I picked up a pack of BIC disposable razors. When we finished, we packed up the gear and while walking out we passed the pool. She had a lil' table next to her chaise lounge, and I put the pack o' razors on the table and we left....I wish we could have stayed and seen her reaction. She's probably still scratchin' her head all these years later, wonderin' WTF?

There are some mighty crappy jobs out there.

Speaking of crappy jobs have you ever dug shit out of the impacted colon of a quadraplegic?

I have.

And believe it or not that isn't the worst job I've ever had.

At least I KNEW that it served a good purpose.

Some of these jobs merit additional comment. Allow me to indulge in the 'dark' side of my brain for a moment.

Ive never "applied" for a job. The jobs have always come courting me. They make sure i am happy. Ive been very lucky.
:eek: :eek:

I worked on a kill floor of a meat packing plant one summer.
I also worked as a stock broker.
I'm not sure which one was worse.

The real smell of fresh blood...I'd go with meat packing plant!

I spent one day picking strawberries. At the end of the day, I had a heat headache, the back of my neck was hideously burned, my back hurt...and I had exactly enough money to buy a Big Gulp.
<snip>
Hence the term 'redneck'!

Aye...me forgot about the summer job working for Kodak. Graveyards again, in the basement, where film was stored...total darkness, save for 'special glasses' which allows one to 'see' about three feet in circumference. Boring and scary, especially when
co-workers love to play tricks and scare the crap out of n00bs!

Working as a mascot to promote a healthy lifestyle. (Will NEVER tell what the mascot costume was!)

I worked as a jail cook once, I headed up a kitchen crew of 5 trustees in the humongous industrial kitchen.

Yeah it pretty much sucked, but not because of the inmates, who just did what inmates do (be gross and stupid). It was the guards. They treated the cooks like inmates as well (they resented the fact that we weren't county employees but answered instead to the contractor only). I walked off that job eventually.

I did Waterproofing for about 6-7 months after my first stint in the Army.....We did it all. Did all the balconey's at the 4 seasons hotel in Newport Beach. We also did residential.....One of the residentials we did was Moon unit Zappa's pad up in Benedict Canyon. We did her deck, and new Jaccuzi...Anyhow, it was a three day job, me and a dude I worked with. On the first day we get there and she greets us at the door in her Bikini....Not bad a bod, but she had a friggin' big ol' black haired bush, man. I'm talkin' ZZ Top action hangin' out the sides, and a big ol' love line runnin' up to her belly button. Looked like a big black hairy catterpiller...So, on the morning of our last day, we stopped off at AM/PM to get our coffee. I picked up a pack of BIC disposable razors. When we finished, we packed up the gear and while walking out we passed the pool. She had a lil' table next to her chaise lounge, and I put the pack o' razors on the table and we left....I wish we could have stayed and seen her reaction. She's probably still scratchin' her head all these years later, wonderin' WTF?

Great story!
Gives new meaning to the phrase "It's DA BOOSH......". :coffee:

Can we assume you are pro-union today?

NO not pro-union.
Having worked under such miserable conditions and knowing such conditions would be commonplace in many different fields today were it not for the union movement, I'm curious to know why you are not pro-union.

I did work under the CWA for a while. Hated it.
I'm sure you're not old enough to be talking about FDR's Civil Works Administration so I'll assume CWA means Communication Workers of America, which I understand is a strong and effective union. If my guess is right, what is it you hated about that experience?

Working under the CWA (communication workers of america) you realize how the biggest job a union has is to protect the jobs of workers who would have been fired in other circumstances for imcompatence or laziness.

Unions have served their purpose.

Just my opinion.

What is the worst job you ever had?

Mine was a glass cutter for a window factory. 115 degrees in the shop and constantly bleeding from small cuts on my hands. They where not big on personal protective equipment.

Currently doing the same thing....

Except I'm making a pathetic wage.....

I suppose a few bucks is better than none...

I have a degree tho...

Hey if you are ever looking for a change the mining industry in southern WV is booming right now for miners and mine related industries. Machine shops, hydraulic shops, diesel mechanics.

Uncle Ferd says wringin' farts outta shirt-tails atta local dry cleanery...

... now dey got some Hispexican doin' it at half wages...

... an' now he outta o' job...

... an' his fat g/f threatenin' to leave him...

... `cause he ain't workin'...

... things is tough all over.
:eusa_eh:

Last edited:
NO not pro-union.
Having worked under such miserable conditions and knowing such conditions would be commonplace in many different fields today were it not for the union movement, I'm curious to know why you are not pro-union.

I did work under the CWA for a while. Hated it.
I'm sure you're not old enough to be talking about FDR's Civil Works Administration so I'll assume CWA means Communication Workers of America, which I understand is a strong and effective union. If my guess is right, what is it you hated about that experience?

Working under the CWA (communication workers of america) you realize how the biggest job a union has is to protect the jobs of workers who would have been fired in other circumstances for imcompatence or laziness.

Unions have served their purpose.

Just my opinion.

Also to improve working conditions and safety...to make it so people didn't have to risk their lives in order to keep their jobs.

Which was needed...but again, no longer, as we have laws in place now to serve that purpose.

Forum List

Back