World's coral reefs succumbing to global warming

Look, when someone is ignorant enough to state that solar panels will cool the Earth, there is no explaining real science to them.
I'm sorry you don't understand how converting solar radiation into electricity that would have heated the surface of the planet results in a cooling effect that would not have occurred otherwise.

But I don't see what that has to do with the fact that atmospheric CO2 was much worse for most of the earth's history and I don't see anyone arguing coral reefs were harmed by that.

Cool summer. LOL

"It's Official: NOAA Declares July 2021 Earth's Hottest Month on Record. Around the globe: the combined land and ocean-surface temperature was 1.67 degrees F (0.93 of a degree C) above the 20th-century average of 60.4 degrees F (15.8 degrees C), making it the hottest July since records began 142 years ago.Aug 20, 2021"

Just checked ... "it's 1.67ºF warmer in my living room than in my parlor" ... these eight foot tall double pocket doors aren't particularly air-tight ... but you know for a fact I don't have a thermometer that measures that accurate ... why do you think NOAA has these in abundance? ...

Nice cherry picking ... July was much much hotter at the beginning of the Holocene ... obviously, the coral survived that ... so did polar bears and walruses ... your error correction leaves much to be desired ...

Nice cherry picking ... July was much much hotter at the beginning of the Holocene ... obviously, the coral survived that ... so did polar bears and walruses ... your error correction leaves much to be desired ...
Exactly. It's like these people don't even stop to think about past climates on earth.

Exactly. It's like these people don't even stop to think about past climates on earth.
You have come to a faulty conclusion. Mainstream science certainly considers past climates on Earth. Who do you think has provided the data you love to spout here? You, however, have rejected anthropogenic warming out of hand and thus fail to see the problem using the past in which there were no anthropogenic GHG emissions to draw conclusions about the present in which such emissions are a dominant factor. As Mamooth has pointed out, based on the Earth's past, used precisely as you attempt to use it in this debate, we can conclude that humans are physically incapable of causing forest fires. Is that a valid conclusion?

You have come to a faulty conclusion. Mainstream science certainly considers past climates on Earth. Who do you think has provided the data you love to spout here? You, however, have rejected anthropogenic warming out of hand and thus fail to see the problem using the past in which there were no anthropogenic GHG emissions to draw conclusions about the present in which such emissions are a dominant factor. As Mamooth has pointed out, based on the Earth's past, used precisely as you attempt to use it in this debate, we can conclude that humans are physically incapable of causing forest fires. Is that a valid conclusion?
Scientists come to opposite conclusions about the causes of recent climate change depending on which datasets they consider.

Increased climate fluctuation and environmental uncertainty are artifacts of a bipolar glaciated world where the threshold for extensive northern hemisphere continental glaciation is lower than the threshold for extensive southern hemisphere continental glaciation and our the present temperature is close to the northern hemisphere threshold.

"Mainstream" science has wrongly correlated the recent warming trend with CO2. They have mistaken the increased climate fluctuation and environmental uncertainty of a bipolar glaciated world for man made warming.

The planet is uniquely configured for bipolar glaciation. A configuration which has never existed before in the history of the planet. We are precariously poised for extensive northern hemisphere glaciation. A condition which has led to increased climate fluctuation and environmental uncertainty over the last 2.7 million years. It is that volatility that will be the undoing of "mainstream" science's faulty analysis and conclusion. Within 30 years everything you believe will be proven wrong.

So you will have to excuse me if I disagree with you that "mainstream" science has considered past climates on Earth. In fact, their understanding of the radiative forcing components do not make the transition from a greenhouse world to an icehouse world or the subsequent 33 cycles of 5 to 8C temperatures swings of the past 2.7 million years even possible.

If you people can't understand how this...

radiative forcing components.png

Makes this impossible...

F2.large.jpg

...let me know and I'll explain it for you.

For those who have been claiming there have been no untoward effects. Let's talk about what effects a large loss of the world's coral will have on marine life and those who depend on it for food and coastal shelter.

I know the problem isn't just the greater warmth of the oceans, but also the acidity is rising but can't we try to start coral reefs in areas further north that are somewhat protected from the acidity, or in the case of the southern hemisphere further south. aren't those waters more pristine ? or have we already contaminated them too.

For those who have been claiming there have been no untoward effects. Let's talk about what effects a large loss of the world's coral will have on marine life and those who depend on it for food and coastal shelter.

Pile of shite.

Look up Peter Ridd on YouTube if you want to know about the Great Barrier Reef.

This thread is disinformation, spreading lies.

Certain Asian fishermen squirt bleach into reefs to get the fish to rush out into nets....
Or drop sticks of dynamite over the side. Or drag huge nets that scrape the bottom clean of all benthic organisms and collect every free swimming species in the entire column, only to be dumped dead over the side when the catch gets sorted.

Or drop sticks of dynamite over the side. Or drag huge nets that scrape the bottom clean of all benthic organisms and collect every free swimming species in the entire column, only to be dumped dead over the side when the catch gets sorted.

Something is bleaching certain coral reefs, but not all, and it is not planetary, and there is no warming in the oceans, which is why canes aren't breaking out....

Where in heaven's name did you get the idea there had been no ocean warming?

1634766336729.png

And it is precisely that warming that is causing coral bleaching. The zooxanthellae involved symbiotically with the coral polyps are sensitive to climatic conditions. Rising temperatures kill them and without their photosynthetic input, the coral die. There is no great mystery here. The oceans are getting warmer due to the greenhouse effect acting on increased GHG levels in the atmosphere and that, of course, is a result of human GHG emissions. That all is some great mystery is one of the more common, commonplace and lazy of denier argumentative techniques. No thanks.

Sounds like what your CCP buddies did in the South China Sea

Forum List

Back