World Wide Civil Unrest - World War III?

World War 3? Well, if it does happen, I guess all I can say is, I'll be among the military members. I can't really say my feelings on it, I mean, if someone bombs the US and we find out it really was them, then let's do it, but honestly, I doubt that is how a major war will start. I understand people opposing it, but I personally do not claim to know whether we are better off without a conflict or not. I just hope the economy can get better for the common man. I have NO idea about economics, I took Honors Economics last semester and that consisted of 'self-finance' basically teaching kids how to not screw themselves with credit cards, which anyone with common sense (at least too me) should know how NOT to do.

I hope that the world changes, I would not want to start a family in this economy, but I also know I am going to do my best to be the best for the country I was born & raised in. My opinion is this: What happens, happens, and all I can say is I am doing my best to educate myself, and learn from others, and better myself daily. I know it sounds corny, but that is the best I have.

Your best is almost certainly more than most people even attempt to give, and thank you for your service.

My hope is that people like you won't be thrown away or sacrificed or put at risk for anything that you would not choose to fight for whether or not you are in the military. And I would feel completely blessed and at peace if I could see a world that intercepted and stopped the bad guys before they could create chaos and our young men and women would never need to be put at risk in war again.

Well, to be honest, my contract says I will follow orders, and that is all I know to do at this point. I mean, if they tell me to go in and attack a nation, I will, and I only have hope it is for the right reasons. I may sound like a robot or something, but frankly, that's how I see it.

Thanks for thanking me, but I am just ready to ship out and get through Basic/Tech School and finally get to wear the Air Force ABU, that is going to be a moment in my life I'll never forget.

Yanno if you don't find the topic interesting enough to discuss, all you have to do is not post and/or unsubscribe. It is obvious that several do find the topic sufficiently interesting to discuss. I imagine those who aren't interested in or do not have a good grasp of history won't be as interested as those who do.

While a lot of the unrest does involve Muslims these days, not all. I think the conflict in Albania, for instance, is far more economically driven than anything religious, ethnic, or motivated by world denomination. The problem with economic unrest, however, is that if the government is sufficiently weakened or toppled, there will be those more than willing to step into the void. Perhaps those who are engineering the economic unrest so that they can do that.

Which, if we are all honest, has been suggested even here in the USA.

Well I'm off to bed for tonight, but I shall return.

You are over reaching FF. There has been and always will be civil unrest as long as power is withheld from the populace and miss used by those that believe they have some divine mandate to run the world or any part of it where populations are not treated with respect and the rights they believe are being withheld.

Do you really think Albanians are going to join up wit Egyptians and so on?

There will be at least one kind of universal uprising and that will be long and slow as the common man finally understands that the tyrants and the self appointed and the Religious Fundamentalists need to be thrown out on their asses from the seats of power.

As far as the Europeans, African, Mid East and central Asian countries go...they are caught up in such a clusterfuck of old grievances that there will be no settling any of it in our lifetime.
.....Just like the Soviet Union, right?

:rolleyes:

<What other Absolutes ya' got????>​

You are over reaching FF. There has been and always will be civil unrest as long as power is withheld from the populace and miss used by those that believe they have some divine mandate to run the world or any part of it where populations are not treated with respect and the rights they believe are being withheld.

There will be at least one kind of universal uprising and that will be long and slow as the common man finally understands that the tyrants and the self appointed and the Religious Fundamentalists need to be thrown out on their asses from the seats of power.

As far as the Europeans, African, Mid East and central Asian countries go...they are caught up in such a clusterfuck of old grievances that there will be no settling any of it in our lifetime. Let em fight it out..I don't care if they all butcher themselves. There are too many humans on the planet anyway...let the stupid ones kill themselves off.

And then tell me how a North Korea, an Iran, a Venzuela, and a Communist China, all with friendly relationships with each other, would not raise eyebrows of concern should they form a military alliance?
Ah, yes, because......after all, they're not (what?)....White-enough, to have (strictly) on-going commercial-interests??​

Well, if one believes in the Bible, then we are headed towards a very distinct future that has been spoken of already.

And with each year that passes, more and more of those thousands year old speakings become reality. Left wing atheists still deny this. Yet, predicted events keep becoming real history.

wow... an endtimer.. who'd a thunk it? :cuckoo:

you don't have to be an atheist not to think revelations is anything more than someone's fantasy.
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." - Albert Einstein

:udaman:

<....But, you folks who need The Ten Commandments, to keep-you-in-line.....carry-on.>​

Last edited:

As far as the Europeans, African, Mid East and central Asian countries go...they are caught up in such a clusterfuck of old grievances that there will be no settling any of it in our lifetime. Let em fight it out..I don't care if they all butcher themselves. There are too many humans on the planet anyway...let the stupid ones kill themselves off.

Over reaching? Really? How am I over reaching anything as I have not provided my opinion as to the significance of the current events. All I have done is compare them with the historical context.

If you think they don't fit the historical context, please provide your insight and perspective as to why they don't fit the historical context.

Who in their wildest dreams a year or two before it happened would have seen two small countries, Germany and Japan, join in a military compact with each other? Who is their wildest dreams a year or two before it happened would have seen the USA as an ally with the U.S.S.R.?

And then tell me how a North Korea, an Iran, a Venzuela, and a Communist China, all with friendly relationships with each other, would not raise eyebrows of concern should they form a military alliance?

Perhaps I missed your main focus. I have to admit I didn't even read your whole OP in detail. I skimmed it. My bad. I'm still not really sure how the OP title fits your text.

Guessing all the possible alliances and trouble spots is much akin to herding cats. There are still as there always have been countries in flux and transition. Ya Venezuela surprised me too..and I'm familiar with that part of the world. BUT ..this is the age of super communication and what Chavez see's as a benefit for his country may be valid from his standpoint. We may not like it but it really isn't our call. There are about as many different reasons as there are conflicts and future conflicts. That's what the CIA gets paid to keep track of and either they are dropping the ball or keeping it to themselves.

In any case our citizens are never the first to find out.

1197086068917675051egore_Thumb_Up_.svg.med.png

:clap2:

I think a review of History will show that in your second paragraph you discribe some events leading up to WWII.

Ford stock sure took a dump today but I doubt it was over the unrest in Egypt.

I don't doubt there will be wars in the coming century but I don't buy in the the whole propohetic/Amageddon thing.

Think I'd go with Plasma on this. Moving on......

Sometimes when the market is bumping up against a psychological threshhold--in this case 12,000--it doesn't take much to trigger a sell off.

But the general wisdom of the day is this:

Stocks slumped as the protests in Egypt raised concerns the government was losing control, which would lead to instability in the region. The news was roiling markets worldwide.

The uncertainty surrounding the events also gave investors a reason to sell after five months of solid gains, and as the Dow and S&P bumped up against key thresholds, analysts said.

That and weak earnings news out of Amazon.com, Ford and Microsoft, provided another catalyst for investors to sell, said Ryan Detrick, senior technical analyst at Schaeffer's Investment Research.

The selling&#8212;which came from big institutions&#8212;was taking place amid significant volume, indicating more conviction in the moves, Detrick said.

"Egypt is definitely at the forefront today," agreed Paul Brigandi, senior vice president of portfolio management at Direxion Funds/Direxion Shares. "Overall, political unrest is never good for the market, especially when it has to do with the Middle East."

But the events in Egypt hit at a time when the market was bumping up against psychologically important benchmarks, and was beginning to "look fatigued" after rallying for some eight or nine weeks, said Brigandi, noting that the S&P 500 had been up 3 percent so far this year on top of a nearly 13 percent gain in 2010.
News Headlines

So yeah, Egypt isn't the whole story, but is obviously a component. Still, there are other threads dealing with the mess in Egypt.

I am neither a fatalist nor an alarmist I think. But as a student of history, I am watching the big picture with a great deal of interest these days. I think attention should be paid.

As a student of history, I wonder why you chose to suggest a third world war?

I see a different scenario, a nexus to the unrest which lead to the French Revolution and the waves of revolution in 1848.

In our time The Iranian People were crushed but not defeated; remember, even though the revolutions in 1848 were largely unsuccessful, and tens of thousands of people lost their lives, change was seeded in the minds of the people and eventually took root.

Authoritarian governments and their leaders are at great risk, and they usually fail to learn from history. Watching as they try to retain their power and authority will be interesting. Such leaders may well be served by reviewing the events in Romania in 1989, and the fate of Nicolae Ceau&#351;escut.

What we are seeing is the realization by a lot of people in nations that have a ruling class that retains the wealth for a very small percentage of it's citizens. Nations where one is not free to speak your mind. The net is a facililator of of the unrest, because people can share knowledge.

Yes, there is going to an increased amount of unrest as more people realize the amount of bullshit the religious and political leaders have fed them over the years. World War Three? No, more like the waves of unrest that swept the nations after the Guttenberg Bible was published. Followed by all kinds of books. Such as the writings of John Locke and Thomas Paine. The dissemination of knowledge to an everwidening number of citizens of all nations created a very precarious situation for the rulers of that period. Now the dissemination of knowledge through the internet is many orders of magnitudes greater than that earlier period.

Folks, this is just the beginning. Nations not connected to the net, such as North Korea, will find themselves ever more isolated and poor, while those connected to the net will find themselves less and less capable of lying successfully to their citizens.
Bingo!!!!

"The immediate effect of the printing press was to multiply the output and cut the costs of books. It thus made information available to a much larger segment of the population who were, of course, eager for information of any variety. Libraries could now store greater quantities of information at much lower cost. Printing also facilitated the dissemination and preservation of knowledge in standardized form -- this was most important in the advance of science, technology and scholarship.

The printing press certainly initiated an "information revolution" on par with the Internet today. Printing could and did spread new ideas quickly and with greater impact."

HERE

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJrC5DQt6gA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]​

Last edited:
I think a review of History will show that in your second paragraph you discribe some events leading up to WWII.

Ford stock sure took a dump today but I doubt it was over the unrest in Egypt.

I don't doubt there will be wars in the coming century but I don't buy in the the whole propohetic/Amageddon thing.

Think I'd go with Plasma on this. Moving on......

Sometimes when the market is bumping up against a psychological threshhold--in this case 12,000--it doesn't take much to trigger a sell off.

But the general wisdom of the day is this:

Stocks slumped as the protests in Egypt raised concerns the government was losing control, which would lead to instability in the region. The news was roiling markets worldwide.

The uncertainty surrounding the events also gave investors a reason to sell after five months of solid gains, and as the Dow and S&P bumped up against key thresholds, analysts said.

That and weak earnings news out of Amazon.com, Ford and Microsoft, provided another catalyst for investors to sell, said Ryan Detrick, senior technical analyst at Schaeffer's Investment Research.

The selling&#8212;which came from big institutions&#8212;was taking place amid significant volume, indicating more conviction in the moves, Detrick said.

"Egypt is definitely at the forefront today," agreed Paul Brigandi, senior vice president of portfolio management at Direxion Funds/Direxion Shares. "Overall, political unrest is never good for the market, especially when it has to do with the Middle East."

But the events in Egypt hit at a time when the market was bumping up against psychologically important benchmarks, and was beginning to "look fatigued" after rallying for some eight or nine weeks, said Brigandi, noting that the S&P 500 had been up 3 percent so far this year on top of a nearly 13 percent gain in 2010.
News Headlines

So yeah, Egypt isn't the whole story, but is obviously a component. Still, there are other threads dealing with the mess in Egypt.

I am neither a fatalist nor an alarmist I think. But as a student of history, I am watching the big picture with a great deal of interest these days. I think attention should be paid.

As a student of history, I wonder why you chose to suggest a third world war?

I see a different scenario, a nexus to the unrest which lead to the French Revolution and the waves of revolution in 1848.

In our time The Iranian People were crushed but not defeated; remember, even though the revolutions in 1848 were largely unsuccessful, and tens of thousands of people lost their lives, change was seeded in the minds of the people and eventually took root.

Authoritarian governments and their leaders are at great risk, and they usually fail to learn from history. Watching as they try to retain their power and authority will be interesting. Such leaders may well be served by reviewing the events in Romania in 1989, and the fate of Nicolae Ceau&#351;escut.
Ah, yes.....the genesis/breeding-ground of WTF???!!!!! :eek:

When people get to tossing-around the various theories about WHY THE WALL came down, I can't help-but-think it was "DALLAS" THAT BROUGHT-DOWN
THE WALL!!!!!

HERE

Last edited:
Actually, some people believe we are currently fighting World War IV!
Norman Podhoretz has written a book with that title, with the focal point of the struggle being "The Long Struggle Against Islamofascism".
The current conflict in Eqypt resembles I think Iran when the Shah was in charge of the country and the Islamofascists expelled him from power.
It's possible that another Islamofascist country allied with the "Axis of Evil" could emerge from Eqypt's current turmoil, do you think?

Actually, some people believe we are currently fighting World War IV!
Norman Podhoretz has written a book with that title, with the focal point of the struggle being "The Long Struggle Against Islamofascism".
The current conflict in Eqypt resembles I think Iran when the Shah was in charge of the country and the Islamofascists expelled him from power.
Yeah.....let's give the folks, who put The Shah back-into power, a "pass".​
"Although official U.S. reports and published accounts described Mosaddeq's overthrow and the shah's restoration to power as inspired and carried out by Iranians, this was far from the FULL story. Memoirs of key CIA and British intelligence operatives and historical reconstructions of events have long established that a joint U.S.-British covert operation took place in mid-August, which had a crucial impact.

The joint U.S.-British operation ended Iran's drive to assert sovereign control over its own resources and helped put an end to a vibrant chapter in the history of the country's nationalist and democratic movements. These consequences resonated with dramatic effect in later years. When the Shah finally fell in 1979, memories of the U.S. intervention in 1953, which made possible the monarch's subsequent, and increasingly unpopular, 25-reign intensified the anti-American character of the revolution in the minds of many Iranians."

HERE

You people, who throw-around the term "Islamofascists", have no fuckin' idea what's (actually) gone-on/going-on, in Iran.....and, you could hardly give-a-shit, long-enough, to find-OUT!!

Your LAZINESS has created enough problems, as it is!!!!

GET OUTTA THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

"So 30 years after seizing power, the mullahs of Qom find themselves in a difficult spot. To turn back the domestic tide of reform they must employ the very tools employed by the despised shah&#8212;mass arrests and trials, torture, execution and censorship. Older Iranians recognize this approach as the very thing they rebelled against in 1979. Younger Iranians have the same energy and spirit as their elders, only this time around, the revolutionary rhetoric of change is no longer anti-American and Islamist.

Iranians want real democracy.
"

HERE

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vTuWI4xb-U&playnext=1&list=PL95BBDD2E341EF2EB[/ame]​

Last edited by a moderator:
A review of history in the early 20th century shows general civil unrest.

Widespread unemployment, unstable money supplies and other resources, and general disatisfaction with unresponsive authoritarian government led to increasing pockets of unrest in Europe, most especially Germany, in the Communist countries, and led to overthrow of governments resulting in even more oppressive regime seizing power. Economies were destablized; currencies were put at risk; and opportunistic nations looked for ways to capitalize on the unrest.

Result: World War I and World War II.

Now we see riots in Barcelona, in France, growing unrest in the UK, in Albania, and now in the Middle East with widespread government protests in Egypt and Jordan who, not insignificantly, are the only allies Israel has in that area.

Today oil is rising drastically and the markets are plunging as investors scramble to protect their assets in the fact of a possible civil war in Egypt alone.

And we have North Korea, China, Iran, Venezuela, and a few other places, all friendly to each other, and none the true friend of the Western World possibly looking for ways to capitalize on the unrest. Certainly Hamas and Hezbollah are watching and will likely make a move if they feel that world attention is diverted from Israel.

Are we moving to the brink of World War III?

Yesterday I wrote this:

"As a student of history, I wonder why you chose to suggest a third world war?

Authoritarian governments and their leaders are at great risk, and they usually fail to learn from history. Watching as they try to retain their power and authority will be interesting. Such leaders may well be served by reviewing the events in Romania in 1989, and the fate of Nicolae Ceau&#351;escut."

Today, I read this:

Iraqis watch Egypt unrest with sense of irony - Yahoo! News

A review of history in the early 20th century shows general civil unrest.

Widespread unemployment, unstable money supplies and other resources, and general disatisfaction with unresponsive authoritarian government led to increasing pockets of unrest in Europe, most especially Germany, in the Communist countries, and led to overthrow of governments resulting in even more oppressive regime seizing power. Economies were destablized; currencies were put at risk; and opportunistic nations looked for ways to capitalize on the unrest.

Result: World War I and World War II.

Now we see riots in Barcelona, in France, growing unrest in the UK, in Albania, and now in the Middle East with widespread government protests in Egypt and Jordan who, not insignificantly, are the only allies Israel has in that area.

Today oil is rising drastically and the markets are plunging as investors scramble to protect their assets in the fact of a possible civil war in Egypt alone.

And we have North Korea, China, Iran, Venezuela, and a few other places, all friendly to each other, and none the true friend of the Western World possibly looking for ways to capitalize on the unrest. Certainly Hamas and Hezbollah are watching and will likely make a move if they feel that world attention is diverted from Israel.

Are we moving to the brink of World War III?

Yesterday I wrote this:

"As a student of history, I wonder why you chose to suggest a third world war?

Authoritarian governments and their leaders are at great risk, and they usually fail to learn from history. Watching as they try to retain their power and authority will be interesting. Such leaders may well be served by reviewing the events in Romania in 1989, and the fate of Nicolae Ceau&#351;escut."

Today, I read this:

Iraqis watch Egypt unrest with sense of irony - Yahoo! News

I also am a student of history and I didn't suggest a world war. I raised the question of whether that was a possibility.

I raised the same question on another board when Hezbollah was lobbing rockets into Israel egged on by Hamas, armed by Syria who was being supplied by Iran who in turn was being cheered and applauded by many others. I haven't been back on that board in more than a year, but when I left it had more than 10,000 replies and almost 120,000 looks.

There are a lot of us with a strong sense of history who pay attention when small rogue nations start forming unusual alliances at the same time they are building up their forces and demonstrating aggressive behavior toward others. Pretty much every major war has started out just that way and it usually happens when there is widespread general unrest. Most such phenomenon does not produce a major war, but when it does, it is devastating. I think it would be foolish not to keep an eye on such things. Certainly sticking one's head in the sand or shrugging it off as unimportant is not a wise thing to do.

So I pay attention. And I find it interesting. And apparently others do too.

The headlines on Drudge are fascinating if the stories match the thesis of each--I haven't checked them all out yet so don't know. . . .

USA 'SECRETLY BACKS UPRISING'...

BIDEN: Mubarak not a dictator, shouldn't resign...

Axelrod: Obama 'Directly Confronted' Mubarak for Past 2 Years 'To Get Ahead of This'...

Egyptian Strife Sends Oil Close To $100 On Suez Canal Closure Fears...

Muslim Brotherhood: Arabs will topple leaders allied with the United States...

Iran Sees Rise of Islamic Hard-Liners in Arab Lands...

Shutdown of Internet first in history...

Thousands protest in Jordan, demand PM step down...

Huge anti-government protest in Albania...

New protests erupt in Yemen...

And the unfolding news today:

Police disappear from streets...
Gangs with machetes, knives run wild...
UPDATE: 100+ dead; 2,000 injured...
ElBaradei: US 'losing credibility by the day'...
Clinton calls for 'orderly transition'...
Fighter jets swoop over Cairo in show of force...
Mubarak meets with military commanders...
Flights out halted, tourists trapped...
But 19 private jets get out...
Egypt shuts down Al Jazeera bureau...

So what is it? We're supporting the Egyptian government? We're supporting the uprising?

I can't help but think back to 1979 when then President Jimmy Carter interjected some U.S. influence into removing the dictator Shah of Iran, friendly to the U.S., so that the people would replace him with a democratic government. But what happened was a huge hole left in leadership eagerly filled by the Ayatollah Khomeni, radical Muslim fundamentalist, who was far more backward thinking and oppressive than the Shah ever was. The U.S. Embassy was overrun and the entire staff taken hostage for 444 days. They were released when Reagan was inaugerated President to symbolically thumb their nose at an interfering Carter.

So are we making the same mistake now by undercutting the existing leadership of Egypt in hopes a democratic government will be installed? Or are the headlines suggesting we back the current leadership correct? If the current leadership is ousted, history suggests that we may wind up with a worse devil unfriendly to the U.S. and hostile to Israel.

No wonder the world is watching with horror and intense interest.

Forum List

Back