CDZ Women should embrace both owning and carrying guns as acts of personal empowerment.

And the evidence that someone who is suicidal would not use another device or method is?

You might want to also check on the use of SSRI antidepressants and violent behavior as well.

For the 20,000 who chose a gun, they almost all had other options (standing on a train track, carbon monoxide in the car, pill overdose etc...) but they chose a gun they had access to; most likely one in the house.

So what?
If they didn't have a gun they would have chose another means

And none of that matters because people have the right to take their own lives if they so choose

Been over this before numerous times.

They had access to drowning themselves in the tub, walking in front of traffic, head in the oven, overdosing on OTC meds, jumping off a building, etc... before the gun purchase.

So what? You don't know when exactly the decision was made to commit suicide

In about 22,000 cases, we do. No gun in the house (as it was before the gun was purchased) and you have fewer deaths.
Tragically they will often find a way but maybe after some contemplation...perhaps they change their minds? Maybe using a method that is less effective or permanent...they survive. Either way; its tragic.

I agree that all suicide is tragic. But you need to post the evidence that, minus a gun, the suicide would not proceed.

Perhaps they change there mind, of course that is always a possibility, but perhaps they get into a car, and head it into on-coming traffic, killing no just themselves, but others as well, or simply use someone else's car, as a pedestrian, like this:

Pedestrian suicide: They step into traffic — and haunt unlucky drivers – Twin Cities

or they jump off a bridge killing the driver below:

https://nypost.com/2017/10/29/driver-killed-after-12-year-old-attempting-suicide-jumps-on-her-car/

Won, I bet the 22 year old had wished the kid had shot himself, cuz she'd be alive today.

And the evidence that someone who is suicidal would not use another device or method is?

You might want to also check on the use of SSRI antidepressants and violent behavior as well.

For the 20,000 who chose a gun, they almost all had other options (standing on a train track, carbon monoxide in the car, pill overdose etc...) but they chose a gun they had access to; most likely one in the house.

So what?

And none of that matters because people have the right to take their own lives if they so choose

They had access to drowning themselves in the tub, walking in front of traffic, head in the oven, overdosing on OTC meds, jumping off a building, etc... before the gun purchase.

And you've yet to provide any research to back your claim. What gives?

Nothing. Assertion cited and proven.

LOL, more Bull from the head of the BS club.

Thank you for your opinion, but then, it is only an opinion. Please explain then, those who had access to a gun, but chose another method.

No, that is pretty much factual. The only caveat is that the gun they had access to may have been owned by another family member.

Then you have research to back up your claim? Lets see it

View attachment 189722

cdc.gov.

Certainly, those who used firearms had access to walking in front of traffic, trains, drowning in their bathtub, head in the oven...etc.

What part of the fact that in Japan, they have extreme gun control and a higher suicide rate than we do, do you not understand?

China, Korea, also have extreme gun control and higher suicide rates than we do...

The gun isn't the issue....

Fact Check, Gun Control and Suicide

There is no relation between suicide rate and gun ownership rates around the world.

According to the 2016 World Health Statistics report, (2) suicide rates in the four countries cited as having restrictive gun control laws have suicide rates that are comparable to that in the U. S.: Australia, 11.6, Canada, 11.4, France, 15.8, UK, 7.0, and USA 13.7 suicides/100,000. By comparison, Japan has among the highest suicide rates in the world, 23.1/100,000, but gun ownership is extremely rare, 0.6 guns/100 people.

Suicide is a mental health issue. If guns are not available other means are used. Poisoning, in fact, is the most common method of suicide for U. S. females according to the Washington Post (34 % of suicides), and suffocation the second most common method for males (27%).

Secondly, gun ownership rates in France and Canada are not low, as is implied in the Post article. The rate of gun ownership in the U. S. is indeed high at 88.8 guns/100 residents, but gun ownership rates are also among the world’s highest in the other countries cited. Gun ownership rates in these countries are are as follows: Australia, 15, Canada, 30.8, France, 31.2, and UK 6.2 per 100 residents. (3,4) Gun ownership rates in Saudia Arabia are comparable to that in Canada and France, with 37.8 guns per 100 Saudi residents, yet the lowest suicide rate in the world is in Saudia Arabia (0.3 suicides per 100,000).

Third, recent statistics in the state of Florida show that nearly one third of the guns used in suicides are obtained illegally, putting these firearm deaths beyond control through gun laws.(5)

Fourth, the primary factors affecting suicide rates are personal stresses, cultural, economic, religious factors and demographics. According to the WHO statistics, the highest rates of suicide in the world are in the Republic of Korea, with 36.8 suicides per 100,000, but India, Japan, Russia, and Hungary all have rates above 20 per 100,000; roughly twice as high as the U.S. and the four countries that are the basis for the Post’s calculation that gun control would reduce U.S. suicide rates by 20 to 38 percent. Lebanon, Oman, and Iraq all have suicide rates below 1.1 per 100,000 people--less than 1/10 the suicide rate in the U. S., and Afghanistan, Algeria, Jamaica, Haiti, and Egypt have low suicide rates that are below 4 per 100,000 in contrast to 13.7 suicides/100,000 in the U. S.

So what?

In about 22,000 cases, we do. No gun in the house (as it was before the gun was purchased) and you have fewer deaths.
Tragically they will often find a way but maybe after some contemplation...perhaps they change their minds? Maybe using a method that is less effective or permanent...they survive. Either way; its tragic.

wrong..... you don't know what you are talking about..... the factor that determines violence and murder in a home are Criminals in the home, drug addicts in the home, alcoholics and mental illness....and another factor....Single mothers dating men who are not the fathers of their children....

Those are the factors.... normal homes without those factors that have guns are not shooting each other over the t.v. remote.....

one cannot ignore the 20,000 gun deaths by suicide since they almost always had other means available
People choosing a tool of convenience to end their own lives shouldn't adversely impact the rights of those who do not unlawfully use their firearms.

It's not that I don't have compassion for others or those that they leave behind, it's more like the difference between a person losing their life in an automobile accident and losing it to the deliberate act of another person utilizing their vehicle as a weapon. The police nor the insurance companies categorize a deliberate act as an "accident".

True. The Police nor the insurance companies categorize a deliberate act as an accident. Neither do I.

Did the person who decided to bring a gun into their house have a means to kill themselves before they made the decision? True.
Did the person who decided to kill themselves use a gun instead of the other means in the 20,000 statistic? True.
Did the person above still have other means but chose the gun because it was quick, effective, and supposedly painless? Probably.

So the stat is relevant.

The point is that if the gun wasn't there, they wouldn't have committed suicide. You can draw that conclusion because they had the means previously and chose not to. It is true that person's situations do change over time so there is that.

Now, you mentioned rights. Let me state again, that I do not want to prevent people from buying guns, owning guns, shooting guns, etc... In some rural areas of the nation where there is 100 miles (or more) to the nearest police station and it may be staffed by one officer; it would be irresponsible not to have some form of protection. My position is that the gun doesn't make you safer statistically. If the nearest cop is 100 miles away; I'll take my chances. If I'm in most areas where folks live, I wouldn't. That being said...there is something to the psychological aspect of having "protection" even though statistics show that you're actually less safe.

The point is that if the gun wasn't there, they wouldn't have committed suicide.

You can't even say that with any degree of intelligence......countries with extreme gun control, Japan, Korea, China, where only criminals and cops can have guns have higher suicide rates than we do.....and then this...

There is no relation between suicide rate and gun ownership rates around the world. According to the 2016 World Health Statistics report, (2) suicide rates in the four countries cited as having restrictive gun control laws have suicide rates that are comparable to that in the U. S.: Australia, 11.6, Canada, 11.4, France, 15.8, UK, 7.0, and USA 13.7 suicides/100,000. By comparison, Japan has among the highest suicide rates in the world, 23.1/100,000, but gun ownership is extremely rare, 0.6 guns/100 people.

Suicide is a mental health issue. If guns are not available other means are used. Poisoning, in fact, is the most common method of suicide for U. S. females according to the Washington Post (34 % of suicides), and suffocation the second most common method for males (27%).

Secondly, gun ownership rates in France and Canada are not low, as is implied in the Post article. The rate of gun ownership in the U. S. is indeed high at 88.8 guns/100 residents, but gun ownership rates are also among the world’s highest in the other countries cited. Gun ownership rates in these countries are are as follows: Australia, 15, Canada, 30.8, France, 31.2, and UK 6.2 per 100 residents. (3,4) Gun ownership rates in Saudia Arabia are comparable to that in Canada and France, with 37.8 guns per 100 Saudi residents, yet the lowest suicide rate in the world is in Saudia Arabia (0.3 suicides per 100,000).

Third, recent statistics in the state of Florida show that nearly one third of the guns used in suicides are obtained illegally, putting these firearm deaths beyond control through gun laws.(5)

Fourth, the primary factors affecting suicide rates are personal stresses, cultural, economic, religious factors and demographics. According to the WHO statistics, the highest rates of suicide in the world are in the Republic of Korea, with 36.8 suicides per 100,000, but India, Japan, Russia, and Hungary all have rates above 20 per 100,000; roughly twice as high as the U.S. and the four countries that are the basis for the Post’s calculation that gun control would reduce U.S. suicide rates by 20 to 38 percent. Lebanon, Oman, and Iraq all have suicide rates below 1.1 per 100,000 people--less than 1/10 the suicide rate in the U. S., and Afghanistan, Algeria, Jamaica, Haiti, and Egypt have low suicide rates that are below 4 per 100,000 in contrast to 13.7 suicides/100,000 in the U. S.

And you can't say this either...

That being said...there is something to the psychological aspect of having "protection" even though statistics show that you're actually less safe

No...statistics do not show this......if you are a criminal, an alcoholic, a drug user than having a gun is a problem...but normal, law abiding people with guns in their home are not less safe.....
Back to reality:
restricted to case subjects with no history of depression or mental illness revealed that guns were even more strongly associated with suicide in this group than in the study population overall. An analysis stratified according to the method of suicide revealed that the link between gun ownership and suicide was entirely due to much higher odds of suicide with a firearm.
I know. You don't care. Obviously. You'll keep saying "you can't say this" until the cows come home 'cause that's just the kind of worm you are...

Wrong....

There is no relation between suicide rate and gun ownership rates around the world. According to the 2016 World Health Statistics report, (2) suicide rates in the four countries cited as having restrictive gun control laws have suicide rates that are comparable to that in the U. S.: Australia, 11.6, Canada, 11.4, France, 15.8, UK, 7.0, and USA 13.7 suicides/100,000. By comparison, Japan has among the highest suicide rates in the world, 23.1/100,000, but gun ownership is extremely rare, 0.6 guns/100 people.

I showed that 22,000 kill themselves via gun.

Logic would tell anyone with 2 brain cells that the 22,000 would almost certainly have access to killing themselves in any manner of other ways before owning a gun or having access to one. If you disagree with the bolded part of the statement, your logic is faulty. The same can be said for the post gun ownership part of their lives as well.

I imagine...again...my reasoning that they chose the gun because of it's effectiveness, the expediency, and the ease. I also imagine--again my reasoning based on my repeated exposure to training in the field of medicine and healthcare that many of those who choose to take their own lives do so, in part, to injure those they leave behind and fewer methods would leave more of a mess or stigma than the gunshot.

Logic would tell anyone with 2 brain cells that the 22,000 would almost certainly have access to killing themselves in any manner of other ways before owning a gun or having access to one. If you disagree with the bolded part of the statement, your logic is faulty. The same can be said for the post gun ownership part of their lives as well.

I imagine...again...my reasoning that they chose the gun because of it's effectiveness, the expediency, and the ease. I also imagine--again my reasoning based on my repeated exposure to training in the field of medicine and healthcare that many of those who choose to take their own lives do so, in part, to injure those they leave behind and fewer methods would leave more of a mess or stigma than the gunshot.

Thanks again for stating your opinion, but not supplying the research to back up your claims makes it simple opinion.

Thanks again for stating your opinion, but not supplying the research to back up your claims makes it simple opinion.

Either you're incredibly lazy or are in denial. Feel free to review the thread.

Why, I've read your "opinions" enough. Come up with the research and we can have a discussion. Your refusal to do so is telling however.

Why, I've read your "opinions" enough. Come up with the research and we can have a discussion. Your refusal to do so is telling however.

Not as telling as your refusal to review the data I presented just inside of an hour ago. I understand you're flinging allegations and accusations and false equivalences; it's what gun nuts do. Have you called for banning sidewalks yet because of what happened yesterday in Toronto???? LOL. But really, denying the 22,000 deaths number and inescapable logic of the availability before and after the purchase of the firearm just crystalizes your intellectual dishonesty.

Not as telling as your refusal to review the data I presented just inside of an hour ago. I understand you're flinging allegations and accusations and false equivalences; it's what gun nuts do. Have you called for banning sidewalks yet because of what happened yesterday in Toronto???? LOL. But really, denying the 22,000 deaths number and inescapable logic of the availability before and after the purchase of the firearm just crystalizes your intellectual dishonesty.

No sidewalk ban being called for here, the risk is just too dang low, just like the risk of being killed by a gun is when the gun is not in the home of a drug dealer (which I am not), or a criminal (which I am not) or a suicidal nut job hopped up on anti depressants, which I am not.

In that case, I have a 1.55 out of 300,000,000 chance of dying from gunshot. I have better things to do than to worry about something with such a monumentally low chance of happening. You?, you let that live in your mind absolutely rent free.

So, where is the data that shows that a someone suicidal will not choose another method if a gun is not available?

proceed

So what?

Irrelevant

Suicide is a choice anyone has the right to make.

So when you want to talk about real crimes let me know

No sidewalk ban being called for here, the risk is just too dang low, just like the risk of being killed by a gun is when the gun is not in the home of a drug dealer (which I am not), or a criminal (which I am not) or a suicidal nut job hopped up on anti depressants, which I am not.

In that case, I have a 1.55 out of 300,000,000 chance of dying from gunshot. I have better things to do than to worry about something with such a monumentally low chance of happening. You?, you let that live in your mind absolutely rent free.

So, where is the data that shows that a someone suicidal will not choose another method if a gun is not available?

proceed

They will not choose a gun if a gun is not available. An uncharacteristically honest statement from you. Did you not receive your NRA talking points this morning?

proceed

They will not choose a gun if a gun is not available. An uncharacteristically honest statement from you. Did you not receive your NRA talking points this morning?

Sure, when a gun is not available, I guess they can't. But that leaves them cars, ropes, pills, toasters in the filled up bathtubs, the gas stove and soooooooooo much more.

And you've yet to provide a single study showing that if someones suicidal, that, lacking a gun stops them from comitting suicide.

You make us all proud we are not stupid, like you.

proceed

Sure, when a gun is not available, I guess they can't. But that leaves them cars, ropes, pills, toasters in the filled up bathtubs, the gas stove and soooooooooo much more.

And you've yet to provide a single study showing that if someones suicidal, that, lacking a gun stops them from comitting suicide.

Nor is it important to the discussion about guns. Perhaps you have your threads mixed up?

proceed

Nor is it important to the discussion about guns. Perhaps you have your threads mixed up?

OMG, this corn dude is a laugh a minute.

proceed

I accept your surrender

proceed

I accept your surrender

You couldn't make a deaf man surrender in a game of Name that tune.

I accept your surrender

You couldn't make a deaf man surrender in a game of Name that tune.

You were much easier to crack.

Forum List

Back