Woman gets 20 years for firing warning shots

Corey on Alexander Case: Get your facts straight|Action News - Jacksonville News, Weather & Sports - ActionNewsJax.com

"
The State says the evidence was clear. Alexander fired at her husband and his two young children. They showed the jury pictures of bullet holes in the walls of their home that prove their point.

Prosecutor David Thompson said, "There was no warning shot into the ceiling."

If she did not hit him they cannot prove that she shot at him.

Corey on Alexander Case: Get your facts straight|Action News - Jacksonville News, Weather & Sports - ActionNewsJax.com

"
The State says the evidence was clear. Alexander fired at her husband and his two young children. They showed the jury pictures of bullet holes in the walls of their home that prove their point.

Please don't confuse 'em with facts. You'll kill their buzz and they won't be able to run around holding their heads and yelling, "OMG! OMG!" :D

Don't like "minimum" sentences. As this case demonstrates, the woman may have acted irresponsibly, but she hurt no one, nor did she take anything that didn't belong to her. Yet she'll spend 20 years in jail? Not right in my book.

As to whether it was a 'warning shot' or not, I don't think anyone can say. One need not shoot 'up' or into the ceiling when firing a warning shot. Anywhere that's not into a human will do.

I doubt we'll ever know what really happened, but I don't buy that she beat the guy up. Please.

I also don't buy that the prosecutors were showing her compassion by offering a 3 year sentence with no trial. She deserved her day in court but she does NOT deserve 20 years, IMO.

"

If she did not hit him they cannot prove that she shot at him.

Oh, yes they can. If they know where she was, where he was, and where the bullets hit, it's a fairly simple deduction. Obviously, the jury sure thought they could.

I don't agree with min. sentences either. Whether she deserves 20 years in prison I can't say.

They can and did prove she beat him up, he was the one calling 911 on multiple occassions, he was the one with bruises, she had nada. The fact is a jury convinced her of attempted murder.

Don't like "minimum" sentences. As this case demonstrates, the woman may have acted irresponsibly, but she hurt no one, nor did she take anything that didn't belong to her. Yet she'll spend 20 years in jail? Not right in my book.

Really? 20 years is too tough for attempted murder? (That IS what she was convicted of, you know.)

As to whether it was a 'warning shot' or not, I don't think anyone can say.

No. The jury can, and did, make that determination. That's how a jury trial works.

I doubt we'll ever know what really happened, but I don't buy that she beat the guy up. Please.

Why? Do you think that never happens?

I also don't buy that the prosecutors were showing her compassion by offering a 3 year sentence with no trial. She deserved her day in court but she does NOT deserve 20 years, IMO.

Like anybody else, when a plea deal is declined and the accused opts for a trial, it might very well turn out worse.

Really? 20 years is too tough for attempted murder? (That IS what she was convicted of, you know.) She was not convicted of attempted murder nor do I believe, from what I've read, that was her intent.

As to whether it was a 'warning shot' or not, I don't think anyone can say.

No. The jury can, and did, make that determination. That's how a jury trial works.

Obviously, but of course, juries can, and have, got it wrong. My point was to ridicule the prosecutors who said she didn't fire a warning shot because she didn't fire up into the ceiling. That makes no sense.

Why? Do you think that never happens?

Such that it warrants a jail sentence, no. Outside of some extraordinary circumstance where a big ass woman actually beats up a meeker man, any guy can prevent being 'beat up' by a woman. I suspect he made this claim to help convict her. No real man would admit to such a thing, much less use it to prosecute a female. It's pathetic.

Like anybody else, when a plea deal is declined and the accused opts for a trial, it might very well turn out worse.

I understand this, which is why I condemned minimum sentencing.

Bottom line, no one, IMO, should get 20 years if they hurt no one or didn't take something that didn't belong to them. I find the very idea immoral.

My mistake, she was convicted of 3 counts of arr. assault with a deadly weapon, not attempted murder.

The article said attempted murder. Are you sure the 3 counts of aggravated assault isn't what she was offered as a plea deal?

Woman goes to jail for 20 years for firing warning shots against an abusive husband, against which she had an ORDER OF PROTECTION.

Ok this is when you know there's a Gun Grabbing Agenda:

Fla. mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots - CBS News

Apparently she would have EASILY acquitted if she shot and killed hi and was able to prove he was a threat...

We live in a sick world.

Okay, now that I know the real facts, I stills say we live in a sick world.

Last edited:
Woman goes to jail for 20 years for firing warning shots against an abusive husband, against which she had an ORDER OF PROTECTION.

Ok this is when you know there's a Gun Grabbing Agenda:

Fla. mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots - CBS News

Apparently she would have EASILY acquitted if she shot and killed hi and was able to prove he was a threat...

We live in a sick world.

It's a sick world where a woman can beat up her husband, then shoot at him and their children and then...horror of horror's....has to answer for it?

Yeah...really sick...ain't it?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh, yes they can. If they know where she was, where he was, and where the bullets hit, it's a fairly simple deduction. Obviously, the jury sure thought they could.

A black woman convicted by a white jury (just one black man on jury).

Marissa Alexander was convicted by a jury of three women and three men, one of them an African-American woman like Marissa.

"It took them 13 minutes," Lincoln said of the jury. "They didn't ask to look at anything. They pretty much made their decision in ten minutes that she was guilty."

At the very least she should get a retrial for a fucked jury.

http://www.rodneyhurst.com/?p=903

Forum List

Back