Wolf Scare

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013
I need your help.

My stepmother had something called a Wolf Scare. It was a black object. It was kind of flat and oval like. It might have been eight inches long and flat. It was tied to a string and had notches in it to disturb the air. We would swing it around in an oval and make noise with the air. I am trying to find the proper name for it because I want one.

I vaguely remember something like that. As I recall, we'd dig a beer bottle out of the trash and tie the neck with a string. When it swung around, the wind blowing across the opening would make a sound.

Was it supposed to scare wolves or sound like wolves howling?

It made a "whoosh" sound in a low tone. Maybe from a distance it might have been mistaken as a wolf howling.

I'm starting to think that my stepmother might have bought it in Alaska or out west.

I need your help.

My stepmother had something called a Wolf Scare. It was a black object. It was kind of flat and oval like. It might have been eight inches long and flat. It was tied to a string and had notches in it to disturb the air. We would swing it around in an oval and make noise with the air. I am trying to find the proper name for it because I want one.

It was probably homemade.

Another good device is something called a "bear banger". But they are illegal to purchase in the US, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it was a bullroarer: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Australian-Bullroarer-Aboriginal-Australia-Roarer/dp/B0054POI72]Amazon.com - Australian Bullroarer Aboriginal Australia Bull Roarer[/ame]

Wolves generally do not get scared of anything not real loud. They can be distracted, but they will later follow their original route and destination, no matter what.

Forum List

Back