Winter storm emergency, Solar & Wind fail

WINTER STORM Snow cold did not affect wind turbines in the Big Country - Reporter News

Thanks to the proximity of wind farms, many West Texans avoided most of the rolling blackouts other parts of the state experienced Wednesday as power companies relieved the strain on generating plants.

Greg Wortham of Sweetwater, executive director for Texas Wind Energy Clearinghouse, said the snow and cold did not affect the turbines. By contrast, plants using water or fossil fuel encountered frozen water lines or other problems with the cold.

"The wind farms provided approximately 7 percent of the energy during the blackouts," he said. Since the transmission lines connect directly to many West Texas communities, they received the extra power.

Hmmmmmmmm.....................
Texas is not in New England, moron.
hahahahaahahahahahahahahhaha

Ice does funny things to wind turbine blades.

Funniest I ever saw was one sticking out of the roof of a pickup truck. It iced, became unbalanced and flew off all by itself. The guy who was driving the truck up the hill to shut it down before it could be damaged got there a little late but fortunately nobody was with him when the tip tore into the passenger seat.

Ice does funny things to wind turbine blades.

Funniest I ever saw was one sticking out of the roof of a pickup truck. It iced, became unbalanced and flew off all by itself. The guy who was driving the truck up the hill to shut it down before it could be damaged got there a little late but fortunately nobody was with him when the tip tore into the passenger seat.
Hey, got to thank you for my new source of information, I was looking for something based on what you said and found this link, maybe a new thread is in order.

Windbyte - Wind farms in North East England the Scottish Borders and Lothians - Wind Turbine Safety

• Mining accident - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
  • April 5, 2010: Upper Big Branch Mine disaster, West Virginia, United States. An explosion occurred in Massey Energy's Upper Big Branch coal. Twenty-nine out of thirty-one miners at the site were killed.[9]
  • November 19, 2010: Pike River Mine disaster in New Zealand. At 3:45pm, the coal mine exploded. Twenty-nine men underground died immediately, or shortly afterwards, from the blast or from the toxic atmosphere. Two men in the stone drift, some distance from the mine workings, managed to escape. (Extract from Royal Commission of Enquiry Report on Pike River.)
  • May 13, 2014: Soma mine disaster took place in Soma, Turkey. The accident, called the worst mining accident ever in Turkey, and it is the worst mining accident in 21st century so far. 301 people died.
Just a few of the coal mining disasters in the 21st century. Just one, here in the US, killed more people than all the wind turbine failures in that period.

• April 5, 2010: Upper Big Branch Mine disaster, West Virginia, United States. An explosion occurred in Massey Energy's Upper Big Branch coal. Twenty-nine out of thirty-one miners at the site were killed.[9]
  • November 19, 2010: Pike River Mine disaster in New Zealand. At 3:45pm, the coal mine exploded. Twenty-nine men underground died immediately, or shortly afterwards, from the blast or from the toxic atmosphere. Two men in the stone drift, some distance from the mine workings, managed to escape. (Extract from Royal Commission of Enquiry Report on Pike River.)
  • May 13, 2014: Soma mine disaster took place in Soma, Turkey. The accident, called the worst mining accident ever in Turkey, and it is the worst mining accident in 21st century so far. 301 people died.
Just a few of the coal mining disasters in the 21st century. Just one, here in the US, killed more people than all the wind turbine failures in that period.
So why build something so large that it actually increases the use of Coal? Tons of steel requires tons of coal to produce, each wind tower requires how many tons of steel old crock? 100 tons at least? And we have built how many of these? 1 million? 2 million? More?

You can not increase the production of coal recklessly to supply the Solar and Wind manufacture and than ignore culpability for industrial accidents.

Solar and Wind are increasing industrial accidents, at the same time they are creating new types of accidents. Falling from 400' towers, burning alive in a 400' tall wind turbine.

Only a fool would start pontificating about coal accidents when this storm is not over. I actually pray to god that the 400' tall triple towers are working. Somebody could literally die fixing a problem with one of these things.

Storms not over, we just got freezing rain down here in Charlotte North Carolina. I wonder if the news crews up north got dug out yet.

So why build something so large that it actually increases the use of Coal? Tons of steel requires tons of coal to produce, each wind tower requires how many tons of steel old crock? 100 tons at least? And we have built how many of these? 1 million? 2 million? More?

You can not increase the production of coal recklessly to supply the Solar and Wind manufacture and than ignore culpability for industrial accidents.

Solar and Wind are increasing industrial accidents, at the same time they are creating new types of accidents. Falling from 400' towers, burning alive in a 400' tall wind turbine.

Only a fool would start pontificating about coal accidents when this storm is not over. I actually pray to god that the 400' tall triple towers are working. Somebody could literally die fixing a problem with one of these things.

Storms not over, we just got freezing rain down here in Charlotte North Carolina. I wonder if the news crews up north got dug out yet.

The output of coal in the U.S. has decreased, not increased. And much of the current production is being sold overseas. As for industrial accidence associated with wind power:

Fatal accidents in wind energy 2012-03-21 ISHN

The capture and concentration of energy — in any form — is inherently dangerous. Wind energy presents hazards similar to other industries. Hazards unique to wind energy include: high winds, heights, rotating machinery and the large spinning mass of the wind turbine rotor. Wind energy hides no latent killers; no black lung, for example. When wind kills, it does so directly, and with gruesome effect.

Since its rebirth in the 1970s, wind energy has directly or indirectly killed 20 people worldwide (which is actually a very low accident rate in such an industry). One victim fell during high winds. Several deaths have been due to electrocutions.

Not all fatalities occur while working at heights. One man was killed while constructing the foundation for a wind turbine. Installations of the huge tower pose significant risks. One worker rode an experimental wind turbine to his death when it fell over during installation near Palm Springs, California.

Another worker was driving a tractor as a tow vehicle when it flipped over and crushed him on a farm in Iowa. One fatality occurred when a man was crushed to death while unloading a container of tubular towers.

Death by "multiple amputations" describes a 1989 incident witnessed by coworker, who watched helplessly as a worker was drawn into the slowly spinning machinery. The man’s lanyard, a device designed to prevent falls, became entangled on the revolving main shaft and dragged him to his death.

Falling from the tower is the single most apparent occupational hazard of working with wind energy. Industry practice and what some would argue to be common sense suggest that several victims all made the same fatal mistake: they did not use any form of fall protection.

Moreover, wind energy is no more dangerous than other energy production schemes. OSHA has found violations at wind farms, and likely will find violations in the future. But the same can be true of the conventional electricity industry (I.e., coal-fired plants), and even nuclear plants. In 2011, OSHA implemented additional rules to induce the wind energy sector comply more fully with safety regulations.

The output of coal in the U.S. has decreased, not increased. And much of the current production is being sold overseas. As for industrial accidence associated with wind power:
Yes Coal is being sold overseas, WHERE THEY MAKE THE WIND TURBINES AND SOLAR PANELS. It takes more Coal to make a 40 story tall Wind Turbine or miles and miles of Solar panels.

As far as the rest you state, you are never able to support any of your posts, I pointed out the ridiculous you stated here, the rest is easy, maybe if I am bored later, I will waste the time on the rest of your post.

Last edited:
Yes Coal is being sold overseas, WHERE THEY MAKE THE WIND TURBINES AND SOLAR PANELS. It takes more Coal to make a 40 story tall Wind Turbine or miles and miles of Solar panels.

As opposed to what?

elektra mayham said:
As far as the rest you state, you are never able to support any of your posts, I pointed out the ridiculous you stated here, the rest is easy, maybe if I am bored later, I will waste the time on the rest of your post.

Bored? Seems as if you are just lazy or else can't refute them. I supported my claims in the above post. I even provided links. So you are welcome to refute them, if you aren't too lazy, that is.

Bored? Seems as if you are just lazy or else can't refute them. I supported my claims in the above post. I even provided links. So you are welcome to refute them, if you aren't too lazy, that is.
You gave 1 link, that it seems you were to lazy to read, it states the opposite of what you claim, further you placed it under your Coal statement, as if it was a link supporting your statement.
Moreover, wind energy is no more dangerous than other energy production schemes. OSHA has found violations at wind farms, and likely will find violations in the future. But the same can be true of the conventional electricity industry (I.e., coal-fired plants), and even nuclear plants. In 2011, OSHA implemented additional rules to induce the wind energy sector comply more fully with safety regulations.

If you read the article you linked to I find this statement:
Wind energy hides no latent killers; no black lung, for example. When wind kills, it does so directly, and with gruesome effect.

Since its rebirth in the 1970s, wind energy has directly or indirectly killed 20 people worldwide. One victim fell during high winds. Several deaths have been due to electrocutions.

http://www.ishn.com/articles/92790-fatal-accidents-in-wind-energy

Everything orogenicman linked to confirms my OP. Thank you. Now if you are not too lazy, where are the other links to your statement on Coal?

You gave 1 link, that it seems you were to lazy to read, it states the opposite of what you claim, further you placed it under your Coal statement, as if it was a link supporting your statement.

If you read the article you linked to I find this statement:
Wind energy hides no latent killers; no black lung, for example. When wind kills, it does so directly, and with gruesome effect.

Since its rebirth in the 1970s, wind energy has directly or indirectly killed 20 people worldwide. One victim fell during high winds. Several deaths have been due to electrocutions.

Everything orogenicman linked to confirms my OP. Thank you. Now if you are not too lazy, where are the other links to your statement on Coal?

In case you haven't noticed, while any death in any industry is a terrible thing, the fact that only 20 people have died in the wind industry since the 1970s is actually an outstanding record. It far exceeds the record of many similar industries, such as the coal powered electrical industry, the cement industry, the grain storage industry, and is orders of magnitude better than the safety record of the airlines industry.

Moreover, what is your point with line of enquiry? Are you suggesting that the industry should be shut down because it has had less than a half a death per year for the past 45 years? Get real. What is your point?

In case you haven't noticed, while any death in any industry is a terrible thing, the fact that only 20 people have died in the wind industry since the 1970s is actually an outstanding record. It far exceeds the record of many similar industries, such as the coal powered electrical industry, the cement industry, the grain storage industry, and is orders of magnitude better than the safety record of the airlines industry.

Not in comparison to the amount power the Wind Industry supplies.

Further, the wind industry has increased the use of coal and oil dramatically, takes a lot of coal and oil to build the largest things on earth that deliver the least amount of power in relation to their size. It is about time that the Wind industry took responsibility for the deaths and accidents in Heavy Industry. Wind Turbines use a greater percentage of Heavy Industry per kwh produced than Fossil Fuels or Nuclear power. Heavy Industry accidents are ignored by the Wind and Solar lobbyist.

So you state, but never, never provide a link supporting your statements. Just as in your post concerning wind in South Africa, you lie continually. The reason for the lack of electricity in South Africa was because the multi-billion dollar power plant supposed to produce 4800 mw not only has not yet started, the date it was supposed to be up and running was 14Dec14, but it is costing more than 300% of what was budgeted. In the mean time, the only wind farm in South Africa, built in 2014, is up and running. And a lot more wind and solar planned after the ridiculous failure of the purveyors of coal power to deliver on their promises.

So you state, but never, never provide a link supporting your statements. Just as in your post concerning wind in South Africa, you lie continually. The reason for the lack of electricity in South Africa was because the multi-billion dollar power plant supposed to produce 4800 mw not only has not yet started, the date it was supposed to be up and running was 14Dec14, but it is costing more than 300% of what was budgeted. In the mean time, the only wind farm in South Africa, built in 2014, is up and running. And a lot more wind and solar planned after the ridiculous failure of the purveyors of coal power to deliver on their promises.
Go to the south africa thread and post, why here, coward.

To paraphrase an OP and the posts in another thread, here, is nothing less than a cowardly lie.

Not in comparison to the amount power the Wind Industry supplies.

The amount of power it generates is irrelevant to its safety record. The fact is that it has a very good safety record.

elektracazy said:
Further, the wind industry has increased the use of coal and oil dramatically, takes a lot of coal and oil to build the largest things on earth that deliver the least amount of power in relation to their size. It is about time that the Wind industry took responsibility for the deaths and accidents in Heavy Industry. Wind Turbines use a greater percentage of Heavy Industry per kwh produced than Fossil Fuels or Nuclear power. Heavy Industry accidents are ignored by the Wind and Solar lobbyist.

Repeating lies don't make them true. But then, you knew that.

Increasing the production of steel, aluminum, copper, silica, fiberglass, cement, etc., to build the the World's Largest Wind Turbines and Solar Plants does not increase the use of Coal or Oil?

The amount of power it generates when we are comparing Solar and Wind to Fossil Fuel power generation is irrelevant?

And you claim you studied Science for 9 years? Did you pass and graduate?

Increasing the production of steel, aluminum, copper, silica, fiberglass, cement, etc., to build the the World's Largest Wind Turbines and Solar Plants does not increase the use of Coal or Oil?

The amount of power it generates when we are comparing Solar and Wind to Fossil Fuel power generation is irrelevant?

Not so much coal since a lot of metal is recycled, and using oil to make components is a much better use of the resource than burning it. The amount of power it generates is irrelevant to the industry's safety record (which is the issue you brought up), which by OSHA standards, is very good.

Not so much coal since a lot of metal is recycled, and using oil to make components is a much better use of the resource than burning it. The amount of power it generates is irrelevant to the industry's safety record (which is the issue you brought up), which by OSHA standards, is very good.
Now that is a crock, recycled metal? You had zero idea that coke was used to make steel. I could go into the copper smelting, the aluminum, the high quality steel alloy used for the many tons required for the bearings and bushing.

You simply make things up without any knowledge of what you speak.

Coke is used to make the steel for wind turbines, of course with all the towers collapsing and the greed of rushing these to production to get rich off the subsidies, I guess the wind turbines used substandard recycled steel.

Forum List

Back