Why would conservatives vote for DeSantis?

The middle ground is the best vantage point, but as in all things education, is impossible to find.

The middle ground would be: if students ask, teacher will respond to appropriate questions about personal life. But personal life is not a focus of the classroom.

We turned an unfortunate corner in this when we made classrooms into "communities" of personalities instead of communities of learners. That is, the students and the learning should be paramount, not the teacher. The subject I teach is infinitely more fascinating than I am at any rate, so I don't tell hardly any stories about me. Who needs that?
Absolutely agree Sue, but the only thing I take issue with is where you say, “personal life isn’t a focus of the class”, and I am in no way suggesting that every teacher makes it so, but we are hearing increasing reports where some teachers ARE making that a focus.

And might I add it’s a detriment to the class learning. Recent test scores in several districts show a trend where students can not read, or do math at grade level. As a grandfather, I would ask what is being done to address that, short of just passing them on?

All through my public school life (granted, we used stone tablets) the subject of the sex life of my teachers just never came up. Pun intended.

The only possible reason sex comes up today is an effort of those with some sort of perverse sexual proclivity to be accepted as normal. I understand that desire, but homosexuality, bestiality, transvestism, is not normal, it just isn't.

Here is the reason they want to capture our kids. Make no mistake.

When an opponent declares, "I will not come over to your side," I calmly say, "Your child belongs to us already...What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community."

Adolf Hitler

Essentially, you are saying you support using the state to go after peoples rights when you disagree with the message. How does that square with conservative principles? It doesn’t.
No, I am saying that I support the State bitch-slapping advocacy and action groups start shoving their agenda down OUR throats and impinging upon OUR rights.

Taking away cushy tax breaks is not an invasion of free speech rights.

In truth, most DEI training is anti-civil liberties. Remember when you folks were for civil liberties?
What rights?

The right to tell your elementary students that you are sexually attracted to the same sex, or whatever?

You're right. We want to infringe on that.

Deal with it

The right of black students to be able to learn about their own history, the right of teachers to teach history honestly without worrying that someone will be offended and report them. The right of those on same sex marriages to refer to their husband or wife, or talk about different family types. It is called free speech. Something you guys used to support but now only support it for those with the correct ideology.

Even the term “parent’s rights” is a joke.

Taking away cushy tax breaks is not an invasion of free speech rights.

In truth, most DEI training is anti-civil liberties. Remember when you folks were for civil liberties?
Look Sue. Think about it for a moment. It isn’t about “cushy tax breaks”. DeSantis was crystal clear about punishing Disney for it’s statement against his new law. That was the reason he started looking for a legal way he could that.

But the reason was nothing to do with tax arrangements, that was just a vehicle he could use to punish Disney and squelch their free speech.

Hell, I am not even a fan of Disney (for a variety of reasons) so I have no horse in this, but even I can see how using the power of the state to punish an entity for exercising it’s free speech rights is chilling.

You honestly don’t see this? What if it was a lib Dem governor going after Chick-fil-a or Hobby Lobby or Tucker Carlson?

The middle ground is the best vantage point, but as in all things education, is impossible to find.

The middle ground would be: if students ask, teacher will respond to appropriate questions about personal life. But personal life is not a focus of the classroom.

We turned an unfortunate corner in this when we made classrooms into "communities" of personalities instead of communities of learners. That is, the students and the learning should be paramount, not the teacher. The subject I teach is infinitely more fascinating than I am at any rate, so I don't tell hardly any stories about me. Who needs that?
And the middle ground fine.

No, I am saying that I support the State bitch-slapping advocacy and action groups start shoving their agenda down OUR throats and impinging upon OUR rights.
Even though you are using state power to shove your agenda down our throats and impinging on our rights? This isn’t political action groups or advocacy groups made up of citizens. This using (or abusing) the power of the government against the free speech rights of individuals. That isn’t the way conservatism used to be.

Serious question. DeSantis has done more than any other candidate or recent president to increase the power of the state over individual rights and no one seems to care. Is conservative ideology changed in terms of using the state to enforce it’s desired social outcome?
When DeSantis begins burning books instead of banning them, he will sway the bulk of trump Nazis to support him in 2024.

Nazism is the road the GOP began following when trump took control of the Party. Since losing by a landslide in 2020, trump's "campaigning" for 2024 is most whining about being victimized. The powerful 2015/2016 trump no longer exists.

The fascists trump's presidency liberated during his years in the White House are searching for a leader who has proven himself to be an oppressor of citizens' freedom. DeSantis is the up-and-comer in that category. In the coming months, he will receive conservative backing nationwide.

Look Sue. Think about it for a moment. It isn’t about “cushy tax breaks”. DeSantis was crystal clear about punishing Disney for it’s statement against his new law. That was the reason he started looking for a legal way he could that.

But the reason was nothing to do with tax arrangements, that was just a vehicle he could use to punish Disney and squelch their free speech.

Hell, I am not even a fan of Disney (for a variety of reasons) so I have no horse in this, but even I can see how using the power of the state to punish an entity for exercising it’s free speech rights is chilling.

You honestly don’t see this? What if it was a lib Dem governor going after Chick-fil-a or Hobby Lobby or Tucker Carlson?

From the beginning, day one, of Disney, they established a Special Taxing District. That means they pay no taxes, whatsoever, to Orange County. Disney pays for all their own roads, Interstate accesses, maintenance, water, sewer, everything. The county pays for nothing and Disney pays the county nothing.

It has nothing to do with their free speech. It concerns the fact that the policies and Mission are no longer family-friendly. Certainly, you admit that the films and the Park itself are no longer family-friendly. Poor ol' Walt is rolling over in his grave seeing what his creation has become.

The Disney empire is free to say anything and everything they wish. The state of Florida is simply no longer going to subsidize its company. Disney is going to pay taxes to the counties in which they have property just as every other business in the state.

Why? Rove's charts are interesting.

My IQ is over 5 and I understand basic science.

To still consider Karl Rove to be anything other than a top 10 traitor in American history requires an IQ under 5 and no abilities in science...

Even though you are using state power to shove your agenda down our throats and impinging on our rights? This isn’t political action groups or advocacy groups made up of citizens. This using (or abusing) the power of the government against the free speech rights of individuals. That isn’t the way conservatism used to be.
More like restoring sanity to public life after a Dark Age of permissiveness that extends a welcome mat to sexually deviant perversion, race-baiting, and corporate activism.

And given that the power of the State has been (and is currently being) used to permit and enforce such deviancy and baiting etc., it's only fair to fight fire with fire, effectively.

When DeSantis begins burning books instead of banning them, he will sway the bulk of trump Nazis to support him in 2024.

Nazism is the road the GOP began following when trump took control of the Party. Since losing by a landslide in 2020, trump's "campaigning" for 2024 is most whining about being victimized. The powerful 2015/2016 trump no longer exists.

The fascists trump's presidency liberated during his years in the White House are searching for a leader who has proven himself to be an oppressor of citizens' freedom. DeSantis is the up-and-comer in that category. In the coming months, he will receive conservative backing nationwide.

The Claremont Institute, trump’s favorite extreme think tank is jumping ship for DeSantis.
The ongoing feud between the two repugnant Floridians jostling to lead the GOP into the abyss and beyond in 2024 reached new heights as the radical-right Claremont Institute, which played a crucial role in normalizing Trump's total bullshit Big Lie scheme to overturn his 2020 election loss, abandoned Don for Ron in next year's presidential race.

The DeSantis style of fascism is gaining momentum. As more and more influential radical-right wing organizations throw their support to DeSantis, the (formerly) devoted trump Nazis will quickly follow.

My IQ is over 5 and I understand basic science.
To still consider Karl Rove to be anything other than a top 10 traitor in American history requires an IQ under 5 and no abilities in science...
That means you can't justify your rationale'.

Rove was a talking head with no power, just charts.

That means you can't justify your rationale'.

Rove was a talking head with no power, just charts.

When the late great Robert Novak, a true conservative and patriotic American, visited the White House to try to convince W that outspending LBJ was not "conservative" and that things like school vouchers instead of porking out a $1 trillion to Teddy Kennedy's allies should be considered, Novak....

met with Rove...

Not W. Nobody talked to W. W was a face and a name. Rove was in charge, just as homO is now....

When the late great Robert Novak, a true conservative and patriotic American, visited the White House to try to convince W that outspending LBJ was not "conservative" and that things like school vouchers instead of porking out a $1 trillion to Teddy Kennedy's allies should be considered, Novak....met with Rove...Not W. Nobody talked to W. W was a face and a name. Rove was in charge, just as homO is now....
Those "good old days" when conservatives ruled the roost are long gone.
To win a majority these days you need to win indys.
The squishy middle of suburbanites and soccer moms are not the hard asses of long ago.

Dubya got re-elected, by 270 votes, but he got re-elected. IMHO "populism" is the best policy for the GOP going forward.

Dubya got re-elected, by 270 votes, but he got re-elected. IMHO "populism" is the best policy for the GOP going forward.

Populism works for any politician IMHO to get elected or re-elected, but it isn't the best policy for everybody else. As the saying goes, sooner or later you run out of other people's money to spend. While I believe the democrats are worse than the republicans in this regard, both parties are going to ruin this country. The democrats are just going to do it sooner.

Forum List

Back