Why should we have to tip people for just doing their job?

People like you have been making up for people like Soul!

I have breakfast quite often at a little place close to where I work. I tip $6.00 on checks that average about $10.00. I do so BECAUSE of people like Soul who don't tip their servers what they should.

One morning the waitress is refilling my coffee cup and a guy at the table next to me starts giving her a hard time about why his cup doesn't get filled as often as mine. She looks at him and says: "When you start tipping like he does...I'll start filling your cup like his!" and then walks away. He just sat there with his mouth open.

Tipping works. It works DESPITE the Souls!
Tipping is NOT a right it's NOT a law It's a courtesy American's are brainwashed

how is a waiter going to make money?
- None of my business nor my concern!

The owner you say? Well, how's he going to make money?
- The owner is making money off the customers he/she wouldn't have a business

If we do away with this, they will just raise the prices 20%. Will you be happier then?
- It would be better than waiters begging for money thinking they're entitled a tip maybe just maybe the owner will pay them a decent wage so they don't have to act like dogs

So the standard is to tip 20%
- No the standard for tipping is 15-20% it's not a law it's a courtesy don't get that confused
It's an unspoken contract between you and your server, Soul! They agree to wait on you and put up with your shit...and you agree to give them money for doing so. This really isn't a complex concept. Do away with tips and going to a restaurant will be like going to the Registry of Motor Vehicles...you'll wait forever and be treated like crap.

So you do away with tips and the "full price" on your meal increases by 20%? Now you're going to pay that no matter how good or bad your service has been. How did you "win" in that scenario, Soul?

Stop being such a cheap prick.
Tipping is NOT a right it's NOT a law It's a courtesy American's are brainwashed
you'll blame everyone instead of the cheap employer who can't afford to be in business they have employees beg people for money but won't dare to hand two dollars to someone who is out on the streets and need money for food

Giving your sweetheart flowers or something else nice on Valentine's Day isn't a law either, Soul! It's not a courtesy. It's something that's expected. You go right on being a cheap prick. You'll wait for service and I won't.

It's an unspoken contract between you and your server, Soul! They agree to wait on you and put up with your shit...and you agree to give them money for doing so. This really isn't a complex concept. Do away with tips and going to a restaurant will be like going to the Registry of Motor Vehicles...you'll wait forever and be treated like crap.
This is a common stereotype & it's completely FALSE! They agree to wait on customers because that is the job they signed up for not because they have to!

This is a common stereotype & it's completely FALSE! They agree to wait on customers because that is the job they signed up for not because they have to!

They agree to wait on customers because they know they're going to get PAID for doing so! They don't do so because they love putting up with your "special orders" and "dietary restrictions", Soul!

You're either going to pay them via a tip...or you're going to pay them with a large increase in your bill. Your pipe dream of great service at a low price is just that...a pipe dream!

Giving your sweetheart flowers or something else nice on Valentine's Day isn't a law either, Soul! It's not a courtesy. It's something that's expected. You go right on being a cheap prick. You'll wait for service and I won't.
This is a common stereotype and it's completely FALSE! there are 12 countries around the world that don't beg customers for tips they have several successful businesses that have been opened for decades your brainwashed and it's honestly sad!

And why would anyone tip 10%? If the service was bad leave nothing. Leaving 10% means you spent money and the server STILL thinks you're an asshole. If that doesn't matter to you then have the stones to leave nothing!
Here again we see that tipping leads to poor service and ill will.

They agree to wait on customers because they know they're going to get PAID for doing so! They don't do so because they love putting up with your "special orders" and "dietary restrictions", Soul!

You're either going to pay them via a tip...or you're going to pay them with a large increase in your bill. Your pipe dream of great service at a low price is just that...a pipe dream!
They agree to wait on customers because they know this is the job they signed up for waiters get paid $4 an hour they have agreed to that's their fault, not the customers find a better job or go get a career it's that simple being a waiter is a pipe dream

Here again we see that tipping leads to poor service and ill will.
No...good service leads to a large tip as a reward for good service. Poor service leads to no tip at all and lecture about WHY there was no tip! Tipping 10% gains you nothing! You gave someone money for giving you bad service. That won't improve in the future. People that work in bars and restaurants I frequent KNOW that if they take good care of me I'm going to make their night. They also know that if they give me lousy service that they're not getting anything. That doesn't lead to ill will or poor service. That leads to good servers and bartenders who LOVE to see me walk in the door!

They agree to wait on customers because they know this is the job they signed up for waiters get paid $4 an hour they have agreed to that's their fault, not the customers find a better job or go get a career it's that simple being a waiter is a pipe dream
When I worked as a bartender back in the day I think I got paid something like $2.15 an hour as a wage which was almost always used up to pay my FICA taxes. I didn't care. I made my money in tips and it was a lot of cash in my pocket every single night. I knew who my good customers were and I took care of them first. If it was five deep at the bar and you didn't tip...then you were going to wait until AFTER I served the customers who did tip! If you don't understand that's how things work in the real world then all I can do is shake my head and wish you well as you're standing there at the bar with an empty glass!

No...good service leads to a large tip as a reward for good service. Poor service leads to no tip at all and lecture about WHY there was no tip!.....
Very few people leave nothing no matter how poor the service, and leaving 40% won't 'buy' you any better service unless you return to the same place over and over again, AND during shifts where the same servers are working. It's a stupid little game.

Why should a customer have to pay extra money to tip when in all honesty it is the responsibility of the employer to pay his/her employees? If a customer doesn't tip waiters think it's rude or your considered cheap Basically, it's a win-win situation for employers we pay to keep the business running, we tip employees for just doing their job! It has become the norm for decades tips should be banned in America

Wrong.
Being to control the income by tipping or not gives the customer control.
Without tipping, you would have no way to influence good or bad service.

Very few people leave nothing no matter how poor the service, and leaving 40% won't 'buy' you any better service unless you return to the same place over and over again, AND during shifts where the same servers are working. It's a stupid little game.
You don't frequent the same places? Gee, is it because nobody wants to wait on you, Unk? Do the servers all hide when they see you coming? "Oh, no...it's that guy that doesn't tip. I had him last time! I'm not getting stuck with him this time!!!" Is that the conversation that takes place while you're standing at the hostess stand? :)

I'm going to go have lunch now. I'm going to a place I frequent a lot. They like me there. I take care of them. It makes them feel good and it makes me feel good.

The rest of you go right on giving your 10% tips. Class isn't something you're born with...it's something you learn...or in your case...you don't!

I'm going to go have lunch now. I'm going to a place I frequent a lot. They like me there. I take care of them. It makes them feel good and it makes me feel good.

The rest of you go right on giving your 10% tips. Class isn't something you're born with...it's something you learn...or in your case...you don't!
If you think "class" comes out of your wallet, you don't have any.

Human nature is not always rational.

Here's a tip for the OP that's one hundred percent rational,.. they're an asshole and a cheap bastard and if I was their waitress I would spit on their food once I brought it back. I know, I know it's not the Christian thing to say, but people like the OP make me sick to my stomach and the truth hurts sometimes but they have to learn to live with it and hopefully it'll hit them hard enough that they'll learn to change their ways before they have to learn the hard way.

Eating in a restaurant in a country with no tipping is very refreshing.
When your choice of entre is to eat dog, no wonder that there is no tipping.

1629741011537.png

Forum List

Back