Why is water not used as fuel?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
Water is quite simply decomposed into hydrogen and oxygen using electrolysis.

It is strange that so far this has not been introduced on an industrial scale as a source of fuel, it is almost free.

I think it's a reptiloid conspiracy.
Electrolysis can be created by burning the same hydrogen. It looks like a perpetual motion machine.

Because it takes energy to split the water molecule into hydrogen and Oxygen. And energy is released when hydrogen and oxygen are combined (burned) into water. It's kind of like asking why we don't burn ashes in the fireplace to heat the home.

That's a damn fine question. It definitely could be done on a large scale for clean, affordable energy but they want the bird killer wind farms & the inefficient solar panels that require massive storage, raw materials & space.
Hydrogen can be converted to fuel & burned in most combustion engines with some simple adjustments

Because it takes energy to split the water molecule into hydrogen and Oxygen. And energy is released when hydrogen and oxygen are combined (burned) into water. It's kind of like asking why we don't burn ashes in the fireplace to heat the home.
Yes it takes some energy but it also produces more energy than it uses.
The ashes analogy is way off base. There is no fuel in ashes but there is very clean energy in hydrogen

• Banned
Nonsense. I have already said that energy can be extracted from the same water on the go.

• Banned
On May 2, 1800, Anthony Carlisle and William Nicholson decomposed water into hydrogen and oxygen using electric current.

220 years have passed since then and no one has even tried to do it on a large scale!!!!!

• Banned
It only becomes worth it, if the heavy hydrogen is used to generate fusion power.
In this topic they also something hide from the people. There are no real worked projects to be seen.

But I think that simple incineration would be cost-effective. Water is one-third hydrogen, and hydrogen burns beautifully.

Water is quite simply decomposed into hydrogen and oxygen using electrolysis.

It is strange that so far this has not been introduced on an industrial scale as a source of fuel, it is almost free.

I think it's a reptiloid conspiracy.
Electrolysis can be created by burning the same hydrogen. It looks like a perpetual motion machine.
Because the oil companies would kill whoever tried.

I think there is politics involved.

By the way, peat is also not used.

That's a damn fine question.

Not really. It would be require far too much energy to get the fuel than you'd get back from the fuel. No doubt that is true of all fuels but at least in the case of petroleum nature put in all the energy to create the fuel for you.

It definitely could be done on a large scale for clean, affordable energy

Again, not economically efficiently. No matter how much you scale it.

but they want the bird killer wind farms & the inefficient solar panels

Ironic.

that require massive storage, raw materials & space.
Hydrogen can be converted to fuel & burned in most combustion engines with some simple adjustments

Or used in fuel cells. Which is where my second postdoc comes in. Back in tha day we were working on hydrogen storage for transportation fuel cells. Our approach didn't really amount to much. We already have metal hydrides and our approach wasn't much more of an improvement. The other option is a big ol' compressed H2 tank on your car which isn't going to be popular.

The one approach that might have worked would be to take methanol and catalytically strip off the hydrogens and then use that H2 in the fuel cell. No one wants a methanol refueling station (dangerous) and it is still relying on fossil fuels in some part of the process.

So, no water isn't going to be the saving grace for fuel.

Nonsense. I have already said that energy can be extracted from the same water on the go.

It's not nonsense. It's reality.

Splitting H2O into H2 and O2 will be energy intensive.

The reason that fossil fuels work is because it is a form of reduced carbon which has been fixed through a long process of life processes and then geologic processes, none of which WE had to invest any energy into.

But if we want to make a fuel from a fully oxidized form we will have to initially reduce it and then re-oxidize it. There is NO FREE LUNCH. That's the second law of thermo. We simply couldn't make it economical because we would always be putting more energy in than we got back out.

This is why none of our cars run on perpetual motion machines.

understand the laws of thermodynamics
There are no "laws" of thermodynamics. Thermodynamics does not take into account the energy that is transmitted through the waves. A thermos for tea with a mirror flask goes beyond the possibilities of thermodynamics, this is the "science" of charlatans written for cretins.

Forum List

Back