Why is religious discrimination frowned upon in employment?

bgrouse

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2017
Muslims pray 5 times a day. So I don't see such discrimination as any different from discriminating against smokers: they usually need a smoke break during work (on top of smelling repulsively when they come back in).

Thoughts?

The laws in place already set up 30 minute breaks for every 6 hours of work
(and most places offer 15 minute paid breaks as well). These can already
be used for people who want to smoke or make phone calls etc.

The point is not to disrupt the regular work flow and schedule.
If exceptions are made for some workers, then others will ask, and this
makes it harder for management to keep track and control of the work flow.

Most places of employment I know about have been able to accommodate the prayer
times for Muslims, as well as the fasting that can affect workers ability to perform duties.

But when it comes to the head coverings, that has interfered with some workplace
safety or uniform requirements, and I've seen more conflicts over this issue than over prayer.

I don't think the issue is discriminating against the people, whether Muslims or smokers etc,
but whether or not their requests interfere with work schedule or performance.

It's one thing if an employee has to take breaks at certain times to take medication,
for example, which is necessary for one's health.
It's another thing to take extra breaks for smoking which is not necessary for one's health
or one's religious obligations. If anything, if one is compelled to smoke,
that seems to indicate an "addictive" disorder and not something
the employer is required to support. There's a difference between asking to take breaks
because of a call from FEMA or other legal authority that the person is required to comply with,
versus taking calls to argue back and forth with a spouse. You can't expect all situations to be
treated the same; it depends on the employer and the work requirements and schedule.
If you have certain needs like this that aren't required, that's why it's important to select an employer that
matches what you need, and needs your contributions enough to make accommodations for you.

• Banned
The laws in place already set up 30 minute breaks for every 6 hours of work
(and most places offer 15 minute paid breaks as well). These can already
be used for people who want to smoke or make phone calls etc.

The point is not to disrupt the regular work flow and schedule.
But that's exactly what a prayer requirement can do. Thus, I see no need to keep religious discrimination outlawed since it can genuinely make a worker worse.

Most places of employment I know about have been able to accommodate the prayer
times for Muslims, as well as the fasting that can affect workers ability to perform duties.

I'm sure most large organizations can afford to employ someone who never comes into work or does anything. Doesn't mean they should be required to do so by law.

Its a non issue. Over the years I have employed many Muslims,Hindus,Christians and so on. The only issue is capability to do the job. The prayer thing can be organised around the working day so as not to cause disruption and the truth is that Muslims can be as lax as Christians when it come to observances.

Many of these cults are not religions in the first place; there is some stupid idea that whatever some idiot invents and calls a 'religion' has to be accepted by everybody as one no matter what it is, which of course is utterly silly, and and example of ....

"NAMBLA" logic - an extreme absolutist position which demands that for logical consistencies sake that certain gross crimes be allowed, in order that no one might feel restrained."

Stirling S. Newberry

Islam, Wicca, etc., are not 'religions', no matter what idiots like to think. An open mind and tolerance is not the same thing as a gaping hole in your head and a requirement to ignore everything under the sun.

You can't discriminate against Muslims, but the law doesn't require you to set up a prayer room for them, or give them five breaks a day to let the pray. Also, you don't have to give Jews Saturday off, and you don't have to give Christians Sunday off.

Forum List

Back