Why GWB will be one of the greatest Presidents in MY LIFETIME...

Very good information. Appreciate it as it helps explain some reticence to add to government bureaucracy that Bush detested.
One point many people are unaware of is the other 2 components of the Medicare Modernization Act of 2003 that most people think is the Part D component.
But MMA reduced Medicare contractors from over 500 distinct Medicare claim paying entities to less then 50. This saved a lot of waste in Medicare.

As I've said frequently GWB was very busy trying to rebuild the economy in the midst of a recession that had its start in 2000.
As I and others have pointed out turning an economy that is trending down is like turning an oil tanker or aircraft. You don't just make a right turn.. it takes miles and hours.
And so one of the first efforts was STIMULATING the economy by reducing the amount of money tax payers took OUT of the economy! In addition GWB saw how wasteful
500+ distinct claim processing contractors could be reduced and that effort was started.

But Bush Bashers being totally ignorant of these efforts to
A) Reduce government expenditures
B) Increase government revenues by reducing tax payments...

These are the facts folks and considering the 4 external extreme, earth shaking events that cost over $8 trillion, nearly 3 million jobs... destroyed businesses that paid taxes..
THAT"S why I've said GWB will be considered one of the GREATEST Presidents from the 50s to to 2016... my lifetime!!!

Speaking of links .... don't you owe a link showing Bush touting a recession as the reason for his tax cuts, which was your claim?

Here's a lefty link.

President George Bush Tax Cuts Facts

I wasn't aware that about.com is a "lefty" website. How so?

At any rate, that doesn't address what healthmyths said.

The link you offer is the opinion of the author of the article you linked. Not that she's not qualified, but that's not a response to healthmyths' claim

healthmyths said... "Don't you guys think for one minute when Bush took office WHY tax cuts were immediately in the offering? They knew a recession was coming!"

So I'd like to see evidence that Bush cited the recession for why he gave tax cuts; since the reason Bush actually gave was the surplus, not a recession.

Ummm, there was no attack. I'd say that's a pretty good indication. Besides, it was reported that two of the terrorists may have been arrested. Though that was not confirmed.

Yeah, they arrested no one, based on no proof, awesome!
Bush should have done the same thing........:cuckoo:

There was no attack. That was awesome. Too bad Bush did nothing to prevent an attack. Maybe he could have thwarted 9.11.

Yeah, there was no attack. And no proof that anything Clinton did prevented anything.

And still no recommendation from you for anything Bush could have done to prevent 9/11.

Muslims could fly, even one way with no luggage, while taking box cutters aboard.

Speaking of links .... don't you owe a link showing Bush touting a recession as the reason for his tax cuts, which was your claim?

Here's a lefty link.

The link you offer is the opinion of the author of the article you linked. Not that she's not qualified, but that's not a response to healthmyths' claim

healthmyths said... "Don't you guys think for one minute when Bush took office WHY tax cuts were immediately in the offering? They knew a recession was coming!"

So I'd like to see evidence that Bush cited the recession for why he gave tax cuts; since the reason Bush actually gave was the surplus, not a recession.

That columnist is a lefty.

Bush also gave the recession as a reason.

Not only that, but there was a big flap over Clinton having a large surplus due to people overpaying taxes. Before he was put in, he promised to give overpaid taxes back to the Americans that overpaid them.

It was a campaign promise that he kept as I recollect. Putting my overpayment in the bank was a happy feeling! :)

Yeah, they arrested no one, based on no proof, awesome!
Bush should have done the same thing........:cuckoo:

There was no attack. That was awesome. Too bad Bush did nothing to prevent an attack. Maybe he could have thwarted 9.11.

Yeah, there was no attack. And no proof that anything Clinton did prevented anything.

And still no recommendation from you for anything Bush could have done to prevent 9/11.

Muslims could fly, even one way with no luggage, while taking box cutters aboard.
We'll likely never know, but there was no attack. However, Like Bush, Clinton received a similar PDB in 1998 warning that Muslim terrorists appeared to be planning a hijacking. Clinton had airport security raised as a direct response to that PDB and there was no attack. There were also reports that two of the terrorists may have been arrested, but regardless, despite the warning of a potential hijacking, there were none.

On the other hand, Bush also received a PDB warning him that Muslim terrorists appeared to be planning a hijacking. His response to that PDB was to do absolutely nothing. Doing nothing had no chance of preventing the attack. Had he done something, like raise airport security, there is the chance it could have been prevented.

What makes you say Kimberly Amadeo is a "lefty?"

And let's see your link to Bush citing the recession as the reason for the tax cuts.....

I already produced a link which quoted Bush as credited the surplus for justifying his tax cuts. There was no mention of them having anything to do with a recession at that time.

Not only that, but there was a big flap over Clinton having a large surplus due to people overpaying taxes. Before he was put in, he promised to give overpaid taxes back to the Americans that overpaid them.

It was a campaign promise that he kept as I recollect. Putting my overpayment in the bank was a happy feeling! :)
This is possibly what you recall .....

Bush: Surplus Justifies Tax Cut

President Bush said Saturday that the most important number in the budget he sends to Congress next week is the $5.6 trillion surplus it projects over the next 10 years.

That huge projected surplus provides the underpinning of all the administration's tax-cut and spending plans, Mr. Bush said in his recorded weekly radio address.

"A surplus in tax revenue, after all, means that taxpayers have been overcharged," the president said. "And usually when you've been overcharged, you expect to get something back." The surplus figure "counts more than any other" in the budget, he said.

Here's a lefty link.

Bush, meanwhile, also called on Congress to make the tax cuts -- which expire 10 years from now -- permanent.
Bush said:
"For the sake of our economic vitality, allowing people to plan, for the sake of small businesses across the country, we need to make tax reduction permanent," Bush said.
Bush says he inherited recession - Aug. 7, 2002

"..Bush held public meetings across the United States to increase nationwide support for his plan for a $1.3 trillion tax cut.
He and his economic advisors argued that unspent government funds should be returned to the taxpayers who had provided these funds,
and with reports of the threat of recession from Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan,
Bush argued that such a tax cut would have the beneficial effect of stimulating the economy and creating jobs.
Five Senate Democrats crossed party lines to join Republicans in approving this $1.35 trillion tax cut program.
It was one of the largest in United States history and regarded as a major political victory given Bush's controversial election.
George W. Bush's first term as President of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Year GDP Growth Rate Unemployment Rate
2003 2.5% 6.0%

2004 3.9% 5.5%

2005 3.2% 5.1%

2006 2.8% 4.6%

2007 2.0% 4.6%

The media and the democrats ignore these statistics so they can continue to deny the effectiveness of tax cuts, when it comes to economic growth and job creation. Acknowledging these facts would also force us to look at the real reasons for the crisis. Liberals in the press love to blame the banks for the housing crisis. They were not without blame, but they just took a bad policy and accelerated it by creating investments that bet on these bad loans. This is like blaming the driver of a car for an accident when the government mandates TNT be put in the gas tank.

The President [Obama] wants to blame tax cuts for the recession when he and Democrats have not recommended any changes to the policy that was the root cause of the crisis.

- See more at: Bush Tax Cuts Caused the Recession?

Last edited:
Sometimes when posts get so many responses the original topic is muddied.
My first president was Ike that I remember.
During that time I consider two Presidents as the "greatest" with GWB one of the greatest.
There are 4 major reasons why:
The Dot.com bust, the recession, 9/11 and worst hurricanes in history !
NO other President EVER had the combination of the above events occur in their presidency.
Total lives: over 5,000... 9/11 - 3,000, hurricanes.. over 2,000
Total costs:$8 trillion in losses of businesses, market values, revenues and taxes.
Total job losses: Over 3 million due to destroyed businesses bankrupt businesses,etc.

YET NO one seems to take in consideration these gigantic literally earth shaking events.
NOT ONE President had ever had events of these magnitudes... all occurring in one administration!

USA mainland attacked in 9/11
7 of the top 10 worst hurricanes.. most destructive..
Dot.com bust per experts cost $5 trillion in lost values... these losses are still being considered as tax revenues reduced to this day.
Recession that started under Clinton .

These four events had direct affects on millions of Americans..
YET Bush at the end of 2000 the average for the year was 131,785,000 fully employed...
At the end of 2008 the average for the year was 136,790,000 full employed and THAT is A FACT!
That means from end of 2000 to the end of 2008 there were 5,050,000 more employed!
These are exactly what the Bureau of Labor Statistics REPORTED.
http://www.citizen.org/documents/Historical_employment_data.pdf

AND yet NOT one person seems to recognize that the MSM's job clearly stated by the Editor of Newsweek..

"MSM job is to Bash the President"...
Evan Thomas Editor of NewsWeek's quotes Well, our job is to bash the president, that's what we do." --
Evan Thomas responding to a question on whether the media's unfair to Bush on the TV talk show Inside Washington,
February 2, 2007.Newsweek's Evan Thomas: 'Our Job Is To Bash the President' | NewsBusters

So when one repeats these MSM's bashing comments...remember... they are totally hateful of Bush and anything he did!

President Bush said Saturday that the most important number in the budget he sends to Congress next week is the $5.6 trillion surplus it projects over the next 10 years.

That huge projected surplus provides the underpinning of all the administration's tax-cut and spending plans, Mr. Bush said in his recorded weekly radio address.

"A surplus in tax revenue, after all, means that taxpayers have been overcharged," the president said. "And usually when you've been overcharged, you expect to get something back." The surplus figure "counts more than any other" in the budget, he said.

why didn't Clinton prevent the attack on the WTC in 1993?

why didn't Clinton prevent the attack on the WTC in 1993?
Unlike 1998 when Clinton was warned of a pending attank and unlike 2001 when Bush was also warned of a pending attack, I'm not aware of Clinton receiving any warnings in 1993 ahead of time to take action.

If you know of any, feel free to post them.....

Forum List

Back