Why did they build a bridge with a poor design in Baltimore?

lennypartiv

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2019
The blame game begins. Was it just a matter of time before some ship hit the bridge support? Would a replacement bridge suffer the same fate?

---The owner of the Dali ship that crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore last week has filed a court filing in U.S. federal Court, claiming no responsibility for the Key bridge’s collapse.---

The blame game begins. Was it just a matter of time before some ship hit the bridge support? Would a replacement bridge suffer the same fate?

---The owner of the Dali ship that crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore last week has filed a court filing in U.S. federal Court, claiming no responsibility for the Key bridge’s collapse.---

More than likely it was lack of infrastructure maintenance.

it isnt the bridge design that allowed it to happen,,
they didnt put proper barriers in front of the towers to prevent a ship from hitting them,,

a long tapered concrete piling would have easily deflected a slow moving ship,,
I've seen them on other bridges,,

Your honor, the bridge came out of nowhere! It ran into my poor little boat!

they didnt put proper barriers in front of the towers to prevent a ship from hitting them,,

Yeah, my thought at the time when I didn't notice heavy barriers around the supports. I think they had one in the channel, but NOT around the support towers.

Since the 1970s, when the bridge was built, ships have gotten far bigger and heavier.

Yeah, my thought at the time when I didn't notice heavy barriers around the supports. I think they had one in the channel, but NOT around the support towers.

Since the 1970s, when the bridge was built, ships have gotten far bigger and heavier.
beings thats right next to a major port you would think that would have been expected to have one,,

and because of it, its surprising it hasnt already happened,,

At the very least, we may end up shoring up around the supports on other bridges around the nation as needed. To those of you who question what infrastructure is. There is industrial/tech infrastructure and human infrastructure. For over a half century we moved our investment into human infrastructure with less for industrial/tech. So having several abortions and a few children with different fathers and the government pays for it is acceptable as it is human infrastructure.

The Baltimore PD Marine Unit was scuttled during The Summer of Love 2020. Certainly hampered rescue operations.

What "rescue operation"?? They had minutes to get people out of the water before they drowned, and the bridge wreckage prevented divers going in.

You have to be dumber than a stump to think that more people could have been rescued.

More than likely it was lack of infrastructure maintenance.

Or the fact a 1000ft long ship with a dead weight load of 120 tons on top of the weight of the ship itself ran into an bridge that was built in like 1972 right in a support colloum.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Why don't you jump in tour time machine and go back before 1977 and tell them to change the footings for the bridge?

Hindsight is always 20/20. Why don't you jump in tour time machine and go back before 1977 and tell them to change the footings for the bridge?
There will probably be recriminations later- the bridge was hit in 1980 by a Japanese ship called the Blue Nagoya.

Much smaller ship, and it only damaged the protection around the pier supports, but it happened- and there will be people who will say that should have been a wake-up call...

There will probably be recriminations later- the bridge was hit in 1980 by a Japanese ship called the Blue Nagoya.

Much smaller ship, and it only damaged the protection around the pier supports, but it happened- and there will be people who will say that should have been a wake-up call...
44 years ago? That wakeup call is a little overdue? This was a once in a lifetime occurrence.

44 years ago? That wakeup call is a little overdue? This was a once in a lifetime occurrence.
Oh, I think it was a Black Swan event if there ever was one. A few minutes either way, and it's just another ship stuck in the mud.

But there is always someone who will try to take advantage, and the prior collision is the kind of thing they will use to say "someone should have done something..."

Forum List

Back