Why did they build a bridge with a poor design in Baltimore?

So a better question;
Why did they build that bridge out there where giant ships could hit it?

Kinda like Grandpa telling me, "if you care about that dog, you best keep him out of the damn road son."

Where do you suggest they build a bridge over the harbor where ships can't hit it?

And how is that bridge a "poor design?" There are thousands of them all around the nation and they are doing fine. Any bridge is going to collapse if a main support column is destroyed.

So a better question;

Kinda like Grandpa telling me, "if you care about that dog, you best keep him out of the damn road son."

Stupid, stupid question.

The ship lost power and steering. It asked for tugboat assistance but there were no tug boats nearby to assist them. The ship crashed into the bridge because the bridge couldn't control the ship.

Yeah, my thought at the time when I didn't notice heavy barriers around the supports. I think they had one in the channel, but NOT around the support towers.

Since the 1970s, when the bridge was built, ships have gotten far bigger and heavier.
They have four 'Dolphins' (circular concrete barriers) in the water. Two fore and two aft of the bridge. But you're right, they were built and positioned for the much smaller ships of the 1970s.

More than likely it was lack of infrastructure maintenance.
No, it was a freak accident. If there was poor maintenance, it was on the ship.
it isnt the bridge design that allowed it to happen,,
they didnt put proper barriers in front of the towers to prevent a ship from hitting them,,

a long tapered concrete piling would have easily deflected a slow moving ship,,
I've seen them on other bridges,,
When the bridge was built, that wasn't a thing. And I'm not sure there was room for that without greatly narrowing the ship channel.
beings thats right next to a major port you would think that would have been expected to have one,,

and because of it, its surprising it hasnt already happened,,
That wasn't a thing in 1972...and container ship size has TRIPLED since then. Any barriers built then would have accomplished nothing.
So a better question;

That CANNOT be a serious post. That HAS to be satire.
There will probably be recriminations later- the bridge was hit in 1980 by a Japanese ship called the Blue Nagoya.

Much smaller ship, and it only damaged the protection around the pier supports, but it happened- and there will be people who will say that should have been a wake-up call...
Ship displacement has approximately TRIPLED since 1980. Blue Nagoya (not large even by 1980s standards) was approximately ONE FIFTH the displacement of (new Panamax, enormous) Dali.

No, it was a freak accident. If there was poor maintenance, it was on the ship.

When the bridge was built, that wasn't a thing. And I'm not sure there was room for that without greatly narrowing the ship channel.

That wasn't a thing in 1972...and container ship size has TRIPLED since then. Any barriers built then would have accomplished nothing.

That CANNOT be a serious post. That HAS to be satire.

Ship displacement has approximately TRIPLED since 1980. Blue Nagoya (not large even by 1980s standards) was approximately ONE FIFTH the displacement of (new Panamax, enormous) Dali.
I saw the pictures of the bridge and there is more than enough room for concrete barricades to protect the towers,,

I saw the pictures of the bridge and there is more than enough room for concrete barricades to protect the towers,,
Describe in detail your training in engineering, including but not limited to the school you attended, year of graduation, and states where you are licensed. Then, describe in detail EXACTLY what size and type of barricades would be needed, and EXACTLY how said barricades would impact currents, the ship channel, and the bridge supports themselves. Show your work.

Describe in detail your training in engineering, including but not limited to the school you attended, year of graduation, and states where you are licensed. Then, describe in detail EXACTLY what size and type of barricades would be needed, and EXACTLY how said barricades would impact currents, the ship channel, and the bridge supports themselves. Show your work.
you said there wasnt enough room,, I dont need any of that to use my eyes and see whats in front of me,,

the gap between those towers looks to be 5 times wider than the ship,, a concrete barricade wouldnt extend beyond the towers by more than a 30-40 ft,,

we have them on most of the bridges here on the missouri river,,

Forum List

Back