Why can't mods work with posters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did. What is the harm in letting a poster know, "your thread is a duplicate and will be absorbed in another similar thread"?
If you take the time to research USMB, it has been stated one billion times that if you have a question about a moderation action, just PM any mod and they're let you know. All the mods have lives outside of USMB, their time here is voluntary, and they can't be holding your hand explaining every 5 minutes why you fell foul of the rules.

So now you know how it works, so the next time you fuck up, you now know what to do.

If you are going to delete a thread, why can't you contact the poster ahead of time and let them know of your actions? I think this would cut down the animosity factor.
Power tripping censors don't need your permission and don't care what you think

It's really fun when they restrict your ability to comment in a thread with no warning.

I started a thread and was told to "settle down" and then I couldn't even comment on my thread. That is messed up
because whoever did it, didn't identify themselves.

If you are going to delete a thread, why can't you contact the poster ahead of time and let them know of your actions? I think this would cut down the animosity factor.

The short answer is Too much work for too little money.

The longer answer is....Considering it's "no money", that would seem to mean that any work is too much work. Thats not the case.

When I modded a board back in the day, I'd do it sometimes--contact the poster-- if the poster had demonstrated over time that they were a serious person who wasn't there just to put chum into the water to get a response. Unfortunately, this board has rewarded the chum throwers to an extent that anything goes. Here is an example. The 13 y/o girl in Mississippi who the GOP forced to give birth to a baby....a poster put on the thread there that it was Biden's baby. Totally whacky; out of left field, etc... I reported it and it was removed. Great.... However Since the reporting.... here is just a quick sampling of the phrases the same poster has used.... "jello brain", "crusty vagina". There are more.

Now is there a downside to just throwing chum into the water on this board? Nope.

The short answer is Too much work for too little money.

The longer answer is....Considering it's "no money", that would seem to mean that any work is too much work. Thats not the case.

When I modded a board back in the day, I'd do it sometimes--contact the poster-- if the poster had demonstrated over time that they were a serious person who wasn't there just to put chum into the water to get a response. Unfortunately, this board has rewarded the chum throwers to an extent that anything goes. Here is an example. The 13 y/o girl in Mississippi who the GOP forced to give birth to a baby....a poster put on the thread there that it was Biden's baby. Totally whacky; out of left field, etc... I reported it and it was removed. Great.... However Since the reporting.... here is just a quick sampling of the phrases the same poster has used.... "jello brain", "crusty vagina". There are more.

Now is there a downside to just throwing chum into the water on this board? Nope.
Well..it IS a business. The truth is the whack-a-doodles bring in more whack-a-doodles..thus more clicks, which equal revenue--ignore works..unless you like chumming the Whack-a-doodles.

Of course, I'd never do that~

Well..it IS a business. The truth is the whack-a-doodles bring in more whack-a-doodles..thus more clicks, which equal revenue--ignore works..unless you like chumming the Whack-a-doodles.

ZERO users = ZERO clicks = ZERO $$

True.

I don't know if its still around but the JREF was pretty popular back in the day. It was heavily moderated; almost dogmatic.

I did. What is the harm in letting a poster know, "your thread is a duplicate and will be absorbed in another similar thread"?
Gee, Billo it takes a couple of minutes to use search to find if your idea has already become a thread you did not know about. In search, insert 3 or 4 important words that describe the essence of your idea. About 90% of the time you can bring your idea into the correct thread, if there is one. 10% or less of the time when I post a new thread do I get it wrong. Just chalk it up the 10% surprise thread to that the three search words were not part of the existing thread title on your current moving topic that you're interested in telling others about. 90% of the time you don't have to worry about it because you will find your words are in the title of the thread you didn't know about. Only good wishes, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back