Why Can't Minors Be Executed?

But honestly, a 13-year-old who kills may not understand how wrong that is. Should we then go to the extreme and just kill them back?

I say no. While rehab is often useless. it isn't always useless. And kids can mature and learn morals.

If someone hasn't figured out by the age of thirteen that murder is bad, then he's not ever going to figure it out, and it's never going to be safe to allow such a subhuman creature to exist among free society.

Tell Me. How many 13-year-olds have total impulse control? Hell, for that matter, tell Me how many 16 yo have total impulse control?

Today, our children are not taught much about right and wrong. <-- an opinon

so, I have a problem with killing minors for crimes committed unless you can show a history and a pattern of depraved behavior.

It only takes one murder to prove such a pattern of depraved behavior.

The Bible gives a near adult status to children who reach 12 years. First degree murderers at 12 years are EXTREMELY RARE. This is because THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING, and need to be held accountable for their behavior.

It's notable that the Jewish tradition of Bar Mitzvah, is based on recognizing a young man as having reached adulthood, ready for all the responsibilities of such, at the age of thirteen.

It's notable that the Jewish tradition of Bar Mitzvah, is based on recognizing a young man as having reached adulthood, ready for all the responsibilities of such, at the age of thirteen.
Jesus was 12 when he was in the temple, holding his own, with the rabbis of his day. He was among his intellectual "equals" as a kid

If anybody commits murder (not including self-defense as that's not murder in my mind) why should a juvenile be any different from an adult if they are fully aware what they did was horribly wrong?
For the same reason that they can't do a lot of things, like enter into contracts legally, or give consent, because they are considered not mature enough to make good decisions.

Tell Me. How many 13-year-olds have total impulse control? Hell, for that matter, tell Me how many 16 yo have total impulse control?

Today, our children are not taught much about right and wrong. <-- an opinon

so, I have a problem with killing minors for crimes committed unless you can show a history and a pattern of depraved behavior.

Yes, I think it's the cortex or something that isn't fully developed until around 25 or so. In any case, many are tried as adults for serious crimes like murder as young as 12 or 14; sitting in juvie and then prison until around age 35 or so is probably best for the public's safety though, if they have such urges, anger issues, or just plain sociopathic tendencies. In some of these 'communities' you will see 9 and 10 year olds running around at 2 in the morning with the hookers and dope dealers and some gangs can get 12 year olds to murder people for a few bucks. Kids raised in those environments are just feral animals who grow up to be larger feral animals and getting them off the streets and keeping them off is a necessity.

If anybody commits murder (not including self-defense as that's not murder in my mind) why should a juvenile be any different from an adult if they are fully aware what they did was horribly wrong?
Well, the line has to be drawn somewhere. You could argue that the line could be lowered, but there still has to be a line. Where do you think it should be?

1637406709195.png

~S~

a juvenile is anyone under the age of 18.

You're Ok with a 6 ear old getting put to death?

The male pre-frontal cortex plays a central role in cognitive control, thereby influencing impulse control and decision making and in males, it doesn't fully develop until between 23 and 25 years of age. Because of this factor, highly negative decisions and actions can be made without giving full thought on the outcome of such decisions and actions.
Because of the aforementioned issue and public opinion, it was decided to at least not invoke the death penalty on minors, while still invoking it on young adults.

Forum List

Back