Why Can't Minors Be Executed?

If anybody commits murder (not including self-defense as that's not murder in my mind) why should a juvenile be any different from an adult if they are fully aware what they did was horribly wrong?
Because they are not competent enough to make their own decisions..........This is the LEGAL definition. Meaning you better have good liability coverage as parents

Because they are not competent enough to make their own decisions..........This is the LEGAL definition

If somebody intentionally picks up a gun and shoots somebody then obviously if they know right from wrong they already know what they did.

If anybody commits murder (not including self-defense as that's not murder in my mind) why should a juvenile be any different from an adult if they are fully aware what they did was horribly wrong?
For the same reason that we don't allow minors to do a number of things. They are still biologically developing and their brains may not comprehend the full magnitude of their actions.

There are exceptions. If you have a minor who has a history of atrocious acts, clearly they get it and should be tried as adults.

But honestly, a 13-year-old who kills may not understand how wrong that is. Should we then go to the extreme and just kill them back?

I say no. While rehab is often useless. it isn't always useless. And kids can mature and learn morals.

If somebody intentionally picks up a gun and shoots somebody then obviously if they know right from wrong they already know what they did.
16 is the line where you can be tried as an adult if you stand competent

15 and under just forget about it, yer out at 21 unless you are a psycho

Excuse me?
Tell Me. How many 13-year-olds have total impulse control? Hell, for that matter, tell Me how many 16 yo have total impulse control?

Today, our children are not taught much about right and wrong. <-- an opinon

so, I have a problem with killing minors for crimes committed unless you can show a history and a pattern of depraved behavior.

Tell Me. How many 13-year-olds have total impulse control? Hell, for that matter, tell Me how many 16 yo have total impulse control?

That's not what you said. You said that they don't understand how wrong it is. I knew that it was wrong to intentionally kill or injure somebody by the age of five.

It keeps them from becoming adult criminals.
R2QQ8J1_d.webp

It's a mute point here in this country. It is cheaper to keep them in jail for life than put them to death.

I'm for executing criminals BTW. But the system stinks to the high heavens. More money is spent on legal for endless appeals that it's simply cheaper to end the death penalty.

Sucks but it is true.

That's not what you said. You said that they don't understand how wrong it is. I knew that it was wrong to intentionally kill or injure somebody by the age of five.
You misunderstand. EVERY person who commits a crime does so in the throws of some impulse. There are actually very few "cold blooded" crimes. Meaning that crimes committed with malace and forethought.

When a minor gets caught up in a passion, they don't have the maturity or ability to control that impulse. We don't teach that to many kids now day.

In that moment, they don't understand what is wrong and right because they have no moral foundation.

An adult, even if they don't have the impulse control, has the capacity to know that killing is wrong, even if they kill.

I don't think that an immature brain of a kid can actually make that connection.

Now, there are kids who have a history of depraved behavior, up to and including killing. They are animals and deserve no real sympathy.

But for the most part, as compassionate adults, we should attempt to help others to try and achieve an understanding of their moral obligations to themselves and the world.

You misunderstand. EVERY person who commits a crime does so in the throws of some impulse. There are actually very few "cold blooded" crimes. Meaning that crimes committed with malace and forethought.

When a minor gets caught up in a passion, they don't have the maturity or ability to control that impulse. We don't teach that to many kids now day.

In that moment, they don't understand what is wrong and right because they have no moral foundation.

An adult, even if they don't have the impulse control, has the capacity to know that killing is wrong, even if they kill.

I don't think that an immature brain of a kid can actually make that connection.

Now, there are kids who have a history of depraved behavior, up to and including killing. They are animals and deserve no real sympathy.

But for the most part, as compassionate adults, we should attempt to help others to try and achieve an understanding of their moral obligations to themselves and the world.
So your life has no value if a "kid" steals it? You're an idiot

It's a mute point here in this country. It is cheaper to keep them in jail for life than put them to death.

I'm for executing criminals BTW. But the system stinks to the high heavens. More money is spent on legal for endless appeals that it's simply cheaper to end the death penalty.

Sucks but it is true.
Justice has no price. I'll supply the bullets. JUSTICE over excuses

Forum List

Back