Why big labor unions are no longer relevant

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Because market forces work better than government.

In 2001, C.I.W. introduced a contractual pass-through program for companies to voluntarily and directly pay the cost of wage increases. They chose Taco Bell for their first target, and launched a bold, eye-catching campaign using sympathy protests, hunger strikes, pickets, and street theater, amplified by online activist networks and social media. Finally they worked with student groups in a hardball campaign to boot Taco Bell franchises from lucrative dining-service contracts on college campuses. Taco Bell finally conceded after four years of boycotts and 25 schools canceling contracts. C.I.W. then quickly mounted and won new campaigns targeting McDonald's, Burger King, Whole Foods, Subway, and seven other restaurants, supermarkets, and dining-service companies.
The Fair Food Program has paid off with $11,000,000 in increased income for Florida tomato-pickers, after three decades of stagnant wages, and new policies to curb assault, sexual abuse and unsafe conditions in the fields. Walmart’s agreement is remarkable as the first FFP agreement won without picketing, boycotting or pressure campaigns on the corporation – although C.I.W.'s highly visible ongoing pickets against Publix provided a PR incentive for grocery-store competitors to get out in front.
C.I.W.’s big wins make them one of the most successful examples of the emerging trend of “alt-labor” organizations. Groups like C.I.W., the Restaurant Opportunities Center, OUR Walmart, and the Domestic Workers United dispense with formal unionization, sidestepping both the privileges and constraints of NLRB labor law, and employ deliberately non-state mechanisms – workplace activism, outreach to consumers, shaming protests, and pressure campaigns—to mobilize workers, provide social support and pressure companies for better pay and conditions. Alt-labor approaches have proven especially successful for workers excluded from NLRB recognition, or in sectors (like low-wage service or restaurant work) where AFL-style collective bargaining has proven difficult or impossible.

Free-Market Labor Wins Wage-Boost Victory - Reason.com

Forum List

Back