Why aren't theists considered mentally ill?

Specificly, suffering from delusional disorder? Reading up on it for another thread, the description sounded awfully familar. :)

"Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness called a "psychosis" in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. The main feature of this disorder is the presence of delusions, which are unshakable beliefs in something untrue. People with delusional disorder experience non-bizarre delusions, which involve situations that could occur in real life, such as being followed, poisoned, deceived, conspired against, or loved from a distance. These delusions usually involve the misinterpretation of perceptions or experiences. In reality, however, the situations are either not true at all or highly exaggerated.

People with delusional disorder often can continue to socialize and function normally, apart from the subject of their delusion, and generally do not behave in an obviously odd or bizarre manner. This is unlike people with other psychotic disorders, who also might have delusions as a symptom of their disorder. In some cases, however, people with delusional disorder might become so preoccupied with their delusions that their lives are disrupted."

""Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness called a "psychosis" in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. ..."

Wow! You just characterized the entire liberal progressive community....and the Democrat Party to boot!

""Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness called a "psychosis" in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. ..."

Wow! You just characterized the entire liberal progressive community....and the Democrat Party to boot!

Could make that argument for a lot of things. I was limiting it to religion. :)

Although, as I think of it, recall not too long ago looking for a comparison of liberal and conservative, a psychoanalytical discussion about political ideologies. :)

The vast majority of humankind, now and since ever since, has religious belief. And you describe them has having a mental disorder.

I find the psychological study of superiority complexes and self-loathing to be far more interesting.

Vast majority of human kind once maintained the world was flat too, and they were wrong. 'Accepted truths' can change with time and science. Everyone used to think epilepsy was possession by demons, they too were wrong. As science continues to evolve, and religion remains static and stagnant, the 'truths' of reliigon are being chipped away. Eventually science will be able to conclusively prove ALL reliigous truths are false. Then what will religious people do? Round up all the scientists and execute them? :)

You missed my point.

I'll repeat:
The vast majority of humankind, now and since ever since, has religious belief. And you describe them has having a mental disorder.
I find the psychological study of superiority complexes and self-loathing to be far more interesting.

As an agnostic, I concur with much of what you said in your last post to me. But that is a far cry from condemning humankind with a mental disorder. Said another way, evolution does not prove that those that came before adaptation were flawed.

Fine. I take it back. You win. Now go 'way.

Of course I did, with my very first response to your topic.

Go away? How typically intolerant of the Left. Not a chance....

Specificly, suffering from delusional disorder? Reading up on it for another thread, the description sounded awfully familar. :)

"Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness called a "psychosis" in which a person cannot tell what is real from what is imagined. The main feature of this disorder is the presence of delusions, which are unshakable beliefs in something untrue. People with delusional disorder experience non-bizarre delusions, which involve situations that could occur in real life, such as being followed, poisoned, deceived, conspired against, or loved from a distance. These delusions usually involve the misinterpretation of perceptions or experiences. In reality, however, the situations are either not true at all or highly exaggerated.

People with delusional disorder often can continue to socialize and function normally, apart from the subject of their delusion, and generally do not behave in an obviously odd or bizarre manner. This is unlike people with other psychotic disorders, who also might have delusions as a symptom of their disorder. In some cases, however, people with delusional disorder might become so preoccupied with their delusions that their lives are disrupted."

Pretty funny coming from people who parrot faux news dogma, disinformation and 'think tank' propaganda.

Pretty funny coming from people who parrot faux news dogma, disinformation and 'think tank' propaganda.

All 3 use think-tank propaganda. "Iraq has weapons of mass destruction" was said by everyone in 1990. Though as we later found out it was a think tank's slogan.

Stuff we're getting now about ISIS is identical.

You mean like mutilating male babies' genitals and then sucking the blood from the incisions? :dunno:

That question isn't intended disrespectfully.

How do we determine which sacred religious traditions should be considered the sort of behavior that "warrants state intervention"?

Mutilation of infant penises should not be protected behavior under the umbrella of religious freedom because it a choice only an informed adult can make.,

Clearly if a persons religious belief is that they must be circumcised as a sign of dedication to God then they should practice circumcision like Abraham did, as an adult and to themselves..

Diagnostic criteria for 297.1 Delusional Disorder

DSM IV

Grandiose Type: delusions of inflated worth, power, knowledge, identity, or special relationship to a deity

DSM-5 Changes Schizophrenia Psychotic Disorders Psych Central Professional

What are the estimates in regards to how many of those diagnosed with clinical depression are religious followers?

If a substantial number of clinically depressed did not follow any religion ... Then using your logic religion could be considered a suitable cure for clinical depression.

So atheism as a cure for clinical depression? I dunno, get kinda bummed myself not believing in God. :) It's not like that world-view is objectively better than the delusional one or anything. When we die we cease to exist, hooray :)

Actually I meant the other way around.

While certainly not a scientific study ... The people I personally know being medically treated for clinical depression don't go to church.

Church probably doesn't cure depression outright ... Maybe it just restores the hope and strength that allows the individual to be the best they can be.

In any case ... The looney-tune religious folks are a lot more comfortable with their direction in life and prospects than the miserable folks I know that don't go to church.

Multiple Scientific Studies Confirm: Extreme Conservatism Linked to Racism, Low I.Q.

No
surprise that the hate science

Multiple Scientific Studies Confirm Extreme Conservatism Linked to Racism Low I.Q. Americans Against the Tea Party

Actually I meant the other way around.

While certainly not a scientific study ... The people I personally know being medically treated for clinical depression don't go to church.

Church probably doesn't cure depression outright ... Maybe it just restores the hope and strength that allows the individual to be the best they can be.

In any case ... The looney-tune religious folks are a lot more comfortable with their direction in life and prospects than the miserable folks I know that don't go to church.

My mistake.

I've heard that as well. Having religious certainty makes for an increased sense of being on the right path et al.

Although, as I think of it, recall not too long ago looking for a comparison of liberal and conservative, a psychoanalytical discussion about political ideologies. :)

You need look no further than this thread. An emotional post is established, and reasoned response is proffered, and the weak wither.

Then continue on as you please. But I shant spend any more time on you. Live long and prosper.

Spend any more time?? Ha! You failed to respond at all. Weak. I hope I'm wrong, but all evidence shows that you are neither desirous or tolerant of any opinion that challenges yours. Why is that? Is it a mental disorder? Or do we need to explore psychoanalytics to this simple debate?

Readers will decide. I merely introduced an opinion that you've proven incapable of addressing. So be it. I'll bow out. Tootles...

Just because religious beliefs are longstanding ones shared by many doesn't make them sacrosanct...

Succession is crucial where the continuity of religious practices are concerned, so the "longstanding ones" in particular are commonly held as sacrosanct by the practitioners.

If you don't believe me, try telling your friendly neighborhood rabbi that he's no longer legally allowed to circumcise infants.

People who believe that literally circumcising the flesh of the foreskin is a command of God will never stop circumcising infants even if outlawed, unless a more rational way to interpret the subject of the command comes to light and even then there will be those who are unable to stop because they are mentally ill.

Diagnostic criteria for 297.1 Delusional Disorder

DSM IV

Grandiose Type: delusions of inflated worth, power, knowledge, identity, or special relationship to a deity

DSM-5 Changes Schizophrenia Psychotic Disorders Psych Central Professional

Wow, one might almost mistake me for a behavioural scientist of some kind. ;)

Grandiose delusions (GD) or delusions of grandeur is principally a subtype of delusional disorder that occurs in patients suffering from a wide range of mental illnesses, The delusions are generally fantastic and typically have a supernatural, science-fictional, or religious theme.

People who believe that literally circumcising the flesh of the foreskin is a command of God will never stop circumcising infants even if outlawed, unless a more rational way to interpret the subject of the command comes to light and even then there will be those who are unable to stop because they are mentally ill.

Well, if male circumcision isn't from God, or providing any benefit, then what should we make of churches who say eating a wafer and drinking some wine is eating the flesh of Jesus, the drinking the wine is his blood? Bunch of wannabe-cannibals are they?

All 3 use think-tank propaganda. "Iraq has weapons of mass destruction" was said by everyone in 1990. Though as we later found out it was a think tank's slogan.

Stuff we're getting now about ISIS is identical.

The difference is President Gore would not have launched a Hirohito sneak attack on Iraq.

Care to address the belief that the financial meltdown was caused by selling homes to poor people? Or that 'trickle down' economics' works??

Forum List

Back