Why aren’t the politicians talking about one of the greatest issues facing America. The Obesity rate and our unhealthy population

want nitrate, phosphate , amine, GMO and FDA free food?

visit a local farm

~S~
Well said. Part of the issue is though take for example the inner cities home to poor white and black kids… some of their parents are smoking meth every day or there in jail so these kids don’t have any chance to get to a farm. They’re surrounded by corner stores, drug dealers, and McDonald’s or kfc restaurants. They have a higher school to prison pipeline chance compared to youngsters in the suburbs.

And if they do somehow have a grocery market in their area, they’re gonna be looking at higher prices for fresh fruit and vegetables compared to some TV dinner packed with sodium…. they will be looking at lower prices for a snickers bar compared to a protein bar.

Big Bro's the Consumer Product Safety Commission, Food and Drug Administration, and Department of Agriculture aren't here to protect consumers, they exist to protect the big players from the consumers

~S~
So true, and in most industries.

Our government works for big corporations and billionaires. It doesn’t care about the people. Yet the people haven’t figured this out.

Life expectancy is 7 years longer in the US than Cambodia. I guess all that salt helps preserve us.
Yes, but compare our life expectancy to other countries of the world. We’re not number one why is that. We have the most money in the world, the strongest military.

But here’s something that is really the most important thing. Our medical costs. America being the most obese country in the world. So yes, you might even have Americans living longer than people in other countries, but how about the quality of life? And how much is being used on medical cost to keep Americans who are unhealthy alive.???

This isn’t some kind of attempt to lecture people. There’s all sorts of similar issues going on all over the world. Religious issues. Is a priest lecturing somebody when he says to be a good person and donate money to the poor and help your community. Is that some kind of lecturing. Why does it then have to be viewed as lecturing if some random person or community leader, whoever it might be, is urging their fellow countryman to live a healthy life. We certainly need more of that in our world.

You do realize that out of all the industrial and modern countries in the world, America allows the most toxins in their foods, right?

For instance McDonald's, KFC, Burger King, et al, are more healthier abroad.

You're aware of this fact, right?
I am well aware of the fact that food is generally more healthy in many countries of the world compared to America.

Also Various fruits taste better here in Cambodia compared to what I’ve had in the eastern parts of the USA. The Malay Apple is an incredible thing, and I recommend everybody to try it.

Whatever the case may be, there are going to be a variety of reasons for why the USA the richest and most militarized country in the world…. is also the most obese country in the world. One of those reasons is you can see a fast food restaurant in almost every corner of the street in big cities. And what about the sites of Kentucky fried chicken, Popeye chicken in the inter cities. What a disaster that is. Now another reason surely is a Deemphasis on the masculine man. The left-wing, Hollywood radical, feminists, telling young men to not be traditional, to not be masculine, to act like a woman if you want.

We had a healthier society in the 1950s marc. You know what that is it’s a credit to our black-and-white ancestors. It’s a good thing to pay respect to our parents and grandparents.

I've been saying the problem of obesity is a 5 star fire alarm issue for many years. But really- how much do you want to regulate the foods we eat, how much, what kind, when...Do we prosecute parents if their child is out of the government approval levels for weight?

We're already regulated and controlled to death in this country and the only thing we can guarantee is when the gubbmint steps in to "fix" something- it's going to be a clusterfuck.
I’m not an expert on this issue, but like you, I know it’s an issue. And I don’t have the golden answer.

But yes, my opinion is, it’s not a net positive to have high sugary foods and vending machines and schools across America. Like Coca-Cola Pepsi chips, ahoy cookies. Why is that food accessible to a 10-year-old who gets money from his parents for it.

Kennedy is talking about it.

Thanks I look forward to watching that video. Kennedy is a model for American physical fitness. A man at his age and being in the healthy condition he is creates a positive influence for our country.

Kennedy is also talking about many kitchen table issues that used to mean a lot to Democrats. Like the fact that middle class Americans can’t afford a house anymore.

Life expectancy is 7 years longer in the US than Cambodia. I guess all that salt helps preserve us.
Cambodia!!! You compare the US with them and think all is well. WTF is wrong with you?

Do you not know US life expectancy has fallen every year for the last several years, yet we have the most expensive HC in the world.

I’m not an expert on this issue, but like you, I know it’s an issue. And I don’t have the golden answer.

But yes, my opinion is, it’s not a net positive to have high sugary foods and vending machines and schools across America. Like Coca-Cola Pepsi chips, ahoy cookies. Why is that food accessible to a 10-year-old who gets money from his parents for it.

I agree, but it's a slippery slope. Slippery slopes in our government are extraordinarily slippery.

Why aren’t the politicians talking about one of the greatest issues facing America. The Obesity rate and our unhealthy population​

Because the government isn't there to tell us how to eat
How do we fix the the problem and create a solution where America is no longer the most obese country in the world?

Hundreds of billions of dollars have been spent on addressing the medical costs related to obesity over the years. Imagine what that money could’ve been used for.

In our schools we should not have youngsters have access to high sugary foods. If you have a situation where a 12-year-old can go to a vending machine and put money into it they get from their parents to buy Oreo cookies…well that is really insane if we think about it.

Kids easily get addicted to sugar that has to say process sugar which is very unhealthy and addictive.

Things like Oreo cookies or chips ahoy. Or Pepsi or Coca-Cola can be found at schools across America.
Further proof that you haven't been inside a public school building.

20+ yeas ago, soda was sold in vending machines at school.
Today, it's water.
In my PNW public school, the only liquid allowed in the classroom is water (or a juice in special cases). No soda cans of ANY kind are allowed.
There are NO vending machines that sell chips or Oreos.

Now, I can't speak for The South.

So true, and in most industries.

Our government works for big corporations and billionaires. It doesn’t care about the people. Yet the people haven’t figured this out.
That’s an interesting point. You got to wonder how many of our politicians used to have some kind of high up position in a corporation that manufactures high sugary snacks. Look at the candy companies they use cartoons and programs and pictures targeted to children.

imagine what is it like to be some kind of a CEO or higher up in one of these Candy companies. From a moral prospective

Imagine how the conversation goes in their corporate meetings.

“ OK let’s figure out how to sell more candy to a kid who is 50 pounds overweight already.”

“ let’s just make a cartoon or put a nice pleasant picture of the cookie. A smiling cookie face that’s how you do it.”

“ associate happiness with eating high sugary foods.”

Really quite fascinating how the cigarette industry has been very much curtailed from advertising. But why hasn’t the same thing been done to candy companies and chocolate companies???. Of course they both cause health issues but why is one targeted? Why is it just a cigarettes. And you we even say that cigarettes have benefits like increasing a mans testosterone. It’s all very interesting.

Yes, but compare our life expectancy to other countries of the world. We’re not number one why is that. We have the most money in the world, the strongest military.

But here’s something that is really the most important thing. Our medical costs. America being the most obese country in the world. So yes, you might even have Americans living longer than people in other countries, but how about the quality of life? And how much is being used on medical cost to keep Americans who are unhealthy alive.???

This isn’t some kind of attempt to lecture people. There’s all sorts of similar issues going on all over the world. Religious issues. Is a priest lecturing somebody when he says to be a good person and donate money to the poor and help your community. Is that some kind of lecturing. Why does it then have to be viewed as lecturing if some random person or community leader, whoever it might be, is urging their fellow countryman to live a healthy life. We certainly need more of that in our world.
Obesity rates are rising globally, primarily in children in low-income countries. Worldwide obesity on the rise

And as for "medical costs", as I have pointed out before and will undoubtedly do again, that is part of how we subsidize medical research. The US spends more on healthcare R&D a year than the UK spends on its entire NHS system. If the US were to adopt the UK model, medical advancement would stop dead in its tracks.

As for why the US life expectancy is declining is primarily due to increases in suicides and drug overdoses, not McDonalds.

I am well aware of the fact that food is generally more healthy in many countries of the world compared to America.

Also Various fruits taste better here in Cambodia compared to what I’ve had in the eastern parts of the USA. The Malay Apple is an incredible thing, and I recommend everybody to try it.

Whatever the case may be, there are going to be a variety of reasons for why the USA the richest and most militarized country in the world…. is also the most obese country in the world. One of those reasons is you can see a fast food restaurant in almost every corner of the street in big cities. And what about the sites of Kentucky fried chicken, Popeye chicken in the inter cities. What a disaster that is. Now another reason surely is a Deemphasis on the masculine man. The left-wing, Hollywood radical, feminists, telling young men to not be traditional, to not be masculine, to act like a woman if you want.

We had a healthier society in the 1950s marc. You know what that is it’s a credit to our black-and-white ancestors. It’s a good thing to pay respect to our parents and grandparents.
You're starting to go off the deep end.

Stay on track, this is a good thread.

Again I ask, where is the best place to START tackling this issue?

When the boys enlisted after Pearl Harbor their poor health and education was shocking. They pulled millions of teeth, fitted them with glasses.. and put them in remedial classes...And, I'm not talking about a minority .

Forum List

Back