Why are our ballots printed in Spanish? Don’t real Americans read, write and speak English?

Americans do speak and write English,

Illegals who are voting don't ....so :dunno:

"In California, for example, voters will be able to request a November 3 ballot written in Arabic, Armenian, Hmong, Korean, Persian, Spanish, Syriac or Tagalog, among other languages.

Whitney Quesenbery, director of the Center for Civic Design, sees translated ballots as a basic step and a bridge to fuller participation in American democracy. The ballots help give first-time voters confidence that they’re filling out the ballot correctly.

“The more we can help people understand the mechanics of voting … the easier it is for them to take that big step in becoming a full member of our society,” Quesenbery says."

"In California, for example, voters will be able to request a November 3 ballot written in Arabic, Armenian, Hmong, Korean, Persian, Spanish, Syriac or Tagalog, among other languages.

Whitney Quesenbery, director of the Center for Civic Design, sees translated ballots as a basic step and a bridge to fuller participation in American democracy. The ballots help give first-time voters confidence that they’re filling out the ballot correctly.

“The more we can help people understand the mechanics of voting … the easier it is for them to take that big step in becoming a full member of our society,” Quesenbery says."

The more the merrier, huh?

come on all.....just vote Left! LOL :rolleyes:

You ain't an American if you can't understand and speak American English. A country includes language, borders and culture. Bring your food, your celebrations and your ethnicity but make it part of America. Like the Italians, Asians, etc. have done. Keep your culture at home. This is America, we have our own history, learn it and become an American.

Last edited:

Why are our ballots printed in Spanish?​

A bilingual ballot requirement was put in place by the 1975 amendments to the Voting Rights Act of 1965. It was meant to help rectify the "history of exclusion from the political process" of Latinos, Asian Americans, American Indians, and Alaska Natives.

Furthermore:

Congress also enacted a bilingual election requirement in Section 203, which requires election officials in certain jurisdictions with large numbers of English-illiterate language minorities to provide ballots and voting information in the language of the language minority group. Originally set to expire after 10 years, Congress reauthorized Section 203 in 1982 for seven years, expanded and reauthorized it in 1992 for 15 years, and reauthorized it in 2006 for 25 years.

This article incorporates public domain material from Laney, Garrine P. The Voting Rights Act of 1965, As Amended: Its History and Current Issues (PDF). Congressional Research Service.

How many nations print ballots in multiple languages?
That would be an interesting question to have answered.

I would assume Canada has bilingual English-French at minimum.

Have you ever heard of a little document called the Declaration Of Independence?
Oh please, grow up you know who runs the world, and the blue collar guys don't have a say in it, and I am sick of you twats voting for the richest people, democrats or Republicans . I am coming believe me to change this system

Oh please, grow up you know who runs the world, and the blue collar guys don't have a say in it, and I am sick of you twats voting for the richest people, democrats or Republicans . I am coming believe me to change this system
The richest in America are the most successful. It's not like England where one has to be in a family tree to be rich. Plenty of blue collar guys have become rich in America. America offers equality of opportunity. Take it or leave it. No one cares WTF you do. We are individuals. I am out to outperform you. Grow the fuck up!

You ain't an American if you can't understand and speak American English. A country includes language, borders and culture. Bring your food, your celebrations and your ethnicity but make it part of America. Like the Italians, Asians, etc. have done. Keep your culture at home. This is America, we have our own history, learn it and become an American.
What's American? The culture you talk about can all be traced back to mostly Europe. What bothers is the non European culture.
Be glad others brought their cultures and cuisines with them for you to enjoy.

What's American? The culture you talk about can all be traced back to mostly Europe. What bothers is the non European culture.
Be glad others brought their cultures and cuisines with them for you to enjoy.
So what? It's America not Europe. We have an American language and an American culture. We are not South America, Mexico or any other country. Bring your cuisines, your traditions but speak American and learn American history. This is America not the country you came from. The culture is AMERICAN. You don't like it, go back from where you you came from.

1. To become an American citizen, one must know basic English.

2. Thus -- IMHO -- there should be no ballots printed in any language other than English.

3. Besides the huge amount of money involved, new citizens should be encouraged to use English as much as possible.

4. Since they only have to put a mark next to a name, why should the ballot be printed in various languages?

5. Yes, I understand that some people say that new citizens cannot read the arguments for and against certain propositions on the ballot. That is true. But in that case, new citizens could get someone to explain the propositions to them.

Pampering new citizens by printing ballots in a dozen or even more languages is doing them a disservice.

Forum List

Back