Who here wants to know more about the spoken religion of antiquity?

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
I know I do. Who is with me?

Apparently it only contains six words; the triumph of good vs evil. And is the metaphysical for ones spirit to flourish in the Everlasting for as long as it may from whence you came. Oh yeah, and there is apparently an Almighty, but it isn't clear who this almighty is.

No one knows anything else about the religion of antiquity. No one knows where it began or who practiced it or how anyone even still knows about it. It's a big mystery.

Anyone?

Is the religion of antiquity polytheistic?

No one knows. It's a big secret.

Is the religion of antiquity monotheistic?

Where did the religion of antiquity originate?

When did the religion of antiquity originate?

Who did the religion of antiquity originate with?

What does the religion of antiquity say about the origin questions?

The answer to all your questions is we will Never Know.

It was, after all, an oral tradition. The echoes have likely faded away by now.

Is the religion of antiquity from the Sumerians? Because they believed in polytheism. They believed that there were many gods with each being was responsible for making specific things happen. A real god of the gaps gods. :lol:

Aren't you curious too? I mean after all if Judaeo-Christianity is a forgery, then there ought to be something that one can point to as the original; the thing that was forged from, right?

I stopped reading his posts after I realized that 99% of them say the exact same thing.

I mean, the topic doesn't even matter. It could be about underwater basket weaving, and he'd find a way to bring up his usual line about "4th century christianity, the spoken religion of antiquity" yadda yadda yadda.

Aren't you curious too? I mean after all if Judaeo-Christianity is a forgery, then there ought to be something that one can point to as the original; the thing that was forged from, right?

I stopped reading his posts after I realized that 99% of them say the exact same thing.

I mean, the topic doesn't even matter. It could be about underwater basket weaving, and he'd find a way to bring up his usual line about "4th century christianity, the spoken religion of antiquity" yadda yadda yadda.
Yeah. he's one of three one trick pony screen names that posts here. hobelim and GreatestIam being the other two. Man do they have an ax to grind. Possibly the same person doing three different personas.

The answer to all your questions is we will Never Know.

It was, after all, an oral tradition. The echoes have likely faded away by now.
So how would someone know about it today?
A little word I like to use occasionally.

"Speculation".

Humanity tends to follow familiar paths and language is one of those paths. I haven't really been keeping up on the new historical discoveries on the ancients,s but I would assume that a list of common words existed across many of the early civilizations, if you can call them that.

Words like Mother, food, run, stab. Probably not God though.

The earliest notions of religion tended to be polytheistic. Primitive people assigned power to the things that affected them the most. The Sun, the Moon, the Stars at night. So each influencer would have become a deity of some kind.

The earliest notions of religion tended to be polytheistic. Primitive people assigned power to the things that affected them the most. The Sun, the Moon, the Stars at night. So each influencer would have become a deity of some kind.
I agree. That is correct. The Sumerians being the oldest known with codification of beliefs and creation of detailed historical religious records. Their religion was truly a god of gaps religion with a different god for each different aspect of nature.

Last edited:
I agree. That is correct. The Sumerians being the oldest known with codification of beliefs and creation of detailed historical religious records. Their religion was truly a god of gaps religion with different gods for different aspects of nature.
Sure, and when you think about it, it makes a great deal of sense.

The ancients had little control over their environment. By the time the Sumerians started trading and forming societies, they basically could control what? Fire? I can't recall if they had discovered irrigation yet. So, likely not water. They'd have to depend upon the Rain God to water their crops.

A God for Wind. After all, a strong wind could blow away their structures. Topple trees, make big waves in lakes.

Of course, a Sun God, for the Sun rules everything on Earth. Even today, we are all at its mercy.

I'm sure that as they grew into communities, they would reinforce these notions with each other until it became a religion.

I'm just spitballing here, but that seems sensible to Me.

I agree. That is correct. The Sumerians being the oldest known with codification of beliefs and creation of detailed historical religious records. Their religion was truly a god of gaps religion with different gods for different aspects of nature.

The ancients had little control over their environment. By the time the Sumerians started trading and forming societies, they basically could control what? Fire? I can't recall if they had discovered irrigation yet. So, likely not water. They'd have to depend upon the Rain God to water their crops.

A God for Wind. After all, a strong wind could blow away their structures. Topple trees, make big waves in lakes.

Of course, a Sun God, for the Sun rules everything on Earth. Even today, we are all at its mercy.

I'm sure that as they grew into communities, they would reinforce these notions with each other until it became a religion.

Agreed, which is why Abraham who lived in that culture was such an anomaly when he revealed there is only One God who created everything.

Agreed, which is why Abraham who lived in that culture was such an anomaly when he revealed there is only One God.
Hmm...I hadn't considered that. But then, it took many, many generations before his teachings found fertile ground. Pardon the expression.

Agreed, which is why Abraham who lived in that culture was such an anomaly when he revealed there is only One God.
Hmm...I hadn't considered that. But then, it took many, many generations before his teachings found fertile ground. Pardon the expression.
I believe the accounts in Genesis were passed down orally from generation to generation for thousands of years before they were recorded. Those people would have had long discussion on each account and would have known more about their meaning than the ones who actually recorded it thousands of years later just as the ones who recorded it would have had better understanding than we do today. It is a great truth that people closer to the event have a better understanding than the ones further from the event.

Forum List

Back