Who has a quilt rather than comforter blankets.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Comforters are awesome. Warm, fluffy and breathable.
But horrendous to keep clean. Constantly have to monitor the washer and rearrange, and drying one is an all day affair of also constantly rearranging. Hate it.

So we are thinking of getting a quilt instead. But a good one. Not some damn Chinese cheap imitation... anyone have one they really like? Where did you get it?

My wife is an avid quilter and we have dozens of them.
Still not easy to wash as you have to make sure the colors don’t run

1676213040318.jpeg

But horrendous to keep clean. Constantly have to monitor the washer and rearrange, and drying one is an all day affair of also constantly rearranging. Hate it.

So we are thinking of getting a quilt instead. But a good one. Not some damn Chinese cheap imitation... anyone have one they really like? Where did you get it?

Have both. Made the quilt. I love the weight of it and it is easier to wash. It has a lot of hand stitching, however, and I always have to check the areas where the stitching is vulnerable.

And quilts are beautiful and generally hold lots of memories. My newest one that I have just barely started is made from my late husband's favorite shirts.

I have some quilts my granny made me, but stored in a box. I don't want to use them.

I have a heavy cotton bed cover I got from JC Penny years ago. It keeps me the right temperature all year long.
Have no problems washing and drying it.

1676213529463.jpeg

I have three quilts that my grandmother made. I use one in addition to a comforter on really cold nights.

I don't like to use the heater if I don't have to.

I have both. What is on the bed is pretty much determined by what is clean. Right now it's quilt. Both comforters in laundry. I go to the laundry mat for the comforters. Faster and would rather the wear and tear happen to their machines than my own for those things.

LOL....I remember as a kid when I used to stay the night before opening day of deer season at my grandparent's old farmhouse.

They did not have heat upstairs (just what made it up the stairwell from the Warm Morning wood stove) so by the time you had all those heavy homemade quilts on top you could barely move.

My great-grandma made a couple patchwork quilts with WW-1 era GI wool blankets sewn inside with the bottom ticking made of old cotton feed sacks.

Most quilts made these days are just decorative craft shit to sell to tourists.

I should have clarified better... not talking an actual handmade quilt... but a commercially made, yet quality quilt.

My grandmother had a huge back porch with a quilting frame on it. She and 3 or 4 of her friends would work togeather and make a couple of quilts for each of them. They would gossip and laugh on that back porch every afternoon for a couple of weeks until they were done. Next summer they did the same thing.

Got to a quilting group. Many sell their quilts.

Forum List

Back