Who are the MORMONS and what do they believe

It (Mormonism) is still a cult. A cult are a set of beliefs that stipulate that only their group has the truth. No one else can have it nor can they get it, unless they belong to that group. One MUST be a member. In other words, one couldn't simply read the Bible and pray to GOD. One would have to attend only a specific organization also. Examples of such would be Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, and Scientology.
By that definition your church is a cult since you claim only your way is the right way.

This video from YOUTUBE provides a clear Christian perspective from former MORMONS:

I'm not going to waste the time watching a 97½-minute video full of lies and distortions about my religion. I think few others will, either.

Anyone who sincerely wants to know what we believe and practice can find much, much, much better sources than this.

Here is a good place to start: Our Beliefs | ComeUntoChrist

By that definition your church is a cult since you claim only your way is the right way.
Not true. All anyone needs to believe is that Christ is the ONLY way to heaven and that is it. And by CHRIST one is saying that Jesus was/is GOD, and that there are no other gods. BY GOD we know that there is by ONE who created EVERYTHING that exists. You can be Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, etc., etc., etc... There are no secret rooms, etc... Everything is open and above board.

Not true. All anyone needs to believe is that Christ is the ONLY way to heaven and that is it.
You literally jist proved his statement to be factual. This is what too much religion does to a brain. You say the most absurd things. How does one even show you how stupid what you just said is? It cannot be done. You are too far gone.

“It is light, intelligence, the power of God that make the wicked tremble and wish ‘Mormonism‘ out of the way. If it were a false doctrine or a false theory, the Devil would not endeavor to disturb it, wicked men would not fear it, Heaven would not smile upon it, nor give a revelation to any man or woman to believe it, and we should have poor success; and Heaven forbid that we should have success or gain influence upon any other principle than the revelations of Jesus Christ.” — Brigham Young​

I'm not going to waste the time watching a 97½-minute video full of lies and distortions about my religion. I think few others will, either.

Anyone who sincerely wants to know what we believe and practice can find much, much, much better sources than this.

Here is a good place to start: Our Beliefs | ComeUntoChrist
Sorry, but there a lot of worse things that you could waste you time doing. When your missionaries go door to door, I'm very sure that you are expecting a lot more time. I already know that Mormons believe that they are attempting to become "god" units, like their "Heavenly Father" once did to become "a god". Mormons believe Satan did a good thing causing Adam & Eve to sin so they would have children! Mormons believe Jesus and Lucifer were/are brothers.

“It is light, intelligence, the power of God that make the wicked tremble and wish ‘Mormonism‘ out of the way. If it were a false doctrine or a false theory, the Devil would not endeavor to disturb it, wicked men would not fear it, Heaven would not smile upon it, nor give a revelation to any man or woman to believe it, and we should have poor success; and Heaven forbid that we should have success or gain influence upon any other principle than the revelations of Jesus Christ.” — Brigham Young​
Mormonism is a way of life. The devil isn't trying to disturb Mormonism because he is the author of confusion, and he realizes that the more people think Mormonism is OKAY, the more will end up in hell. GOD wants people to come willingly and not to be forced to accept HIM.

Sorry, but there a lot of worse things that you could waste you time doing. When your missionaries go door to door, I'm very sure that you are expecting a lot more time. I already know that Mormons believe that they are attempting to become "god" units, like their "Heavenly Father" once did to become "a god". Mormons believe Satan did a good thing causing Adam & Eve to sin so they would have children! Mormons believe Jesus and Lucifer were/are brothers.

Spreading malicious lies and distortions about a religion other than your own does nothing to cast your own beliefs in any good light. Do you understand this? You're doing much more to discredit your own religion than you are to discredit mine. A religion that truly reflected what God would have us believe and do does not need to slander others in order to uphold itself. Lies and deception are of the Devil, not of God; and you are clearly showing us which side it is that you serve and represent.

Not true. All anyone needs to believe is that Christ is the ONLY way to heaven and that is it. And by CHRIST one is saying that Jesus was/is GOD, and that there are no other gods. BY GOD we know that there is by ONE who created EVERYTHING that exists. You can be Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, etc., etc., etc... There are no secret rooms, etc... Everything is open and above board.
ae is true of Mormons they believe in Jesus Christ and that he saves you. And you really should pay attention t your own dogma. Most Christian religions believe only their version is correct and attempt to sway everyone to their version.

Mormons received the name "Mormons" from those who were not members of the church. Evidently they labeled us as Mormons because we believe in "The Book of Mormon" which is part of our scriptures. The true name of our church which was received by revelation is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

Doctrine and Covenants 115:3-4
3 And also unto my faithful servants who are of the high council of my church in Zion, for thus it shall be called, and unto all the elders and people of my Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, scattered abroad in all the world;
4 For thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

To begin to understand what we believe, the prophet Joseph Smith gave a list of beliefs known as our Articles of Faith. They are as follows:

THE ARTICLES OF FAITH OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS​

CHAPTER 1

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.
3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
Joseph Smith.

As our 6th Article of Faith says,

6 We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

From the New Testament of the Bible the Apostle Paul taught the following:

Ephesians 4:10-13
10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Here we learn that Christ set up his church with the organization of Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastor, and Teachers so that we could all come to the unity of faith and the perfecting of the saints and for the work of the ministry that we all might be edified in Christ. He gave us this structure that it might continue in his church until we all come to the unity of faith and the knowledge of the Son of God unto a perfect man, unto the measure and stature of the fullness of Christ. So a true church of Jesus Christ should contain the same organizational structure today as it did when Christ set up his church when he walked upon the earth until we all come to the unity of the faith. So I ask, have we all come to the unity of faith, and the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ? If not, then you should look for the true church of Jesus Christ to still have apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers, etc. as the organization of the church. A church that is not lead by Apostles and Prophets is not a true church of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
ae is true of Mormons they believe in Jesus Christ and that he saves you. And you really should pay attention t your own dogma. Most Christian religions believe only their version is correct and attempt to sway everyone to their version.
As a Christian, I don't believe I need to be water baptized (but that it is symbolic and an opportunity to testify what CHRIST has accomplished in my life). It is CHRIST ALONE.

As a Christian, I don't believe I can be baptized for anyone else. It is a personal relationship that must be accomplished and accepted during one's lifetime. It is CHRIST ALONE.

As a Christian, I don't believe I need to have partake of the elements of the LORD's Supper (but again it is symbolic and an opportunity to remember what the LORD had to do to save me).

As a Christian, I don't consider it possible that GOD's HOLY Word could be corrupted. I believe GOD speaks to me through HIS Bible and explains what I need to know.

As a Christian, I no longer need a high priest as HE BECOMES MINE.

As a Christian, I understand that I become the Temple of the HOLY SPIRIT. The need of a material temple was abolished and that was revealed when the curtain that separated man from GOD was torn from top to bottom when CHRIST gave up HIS SPIRIT upon the cross.

There is nothing that I need to do but accept HIM in faith alone, and that even that faith is both nurtured and matured by GOD. A Christian cannot lose his salvation because it comes from GOD.

To begin to understand what we believe, the prophet Joseph Smith gave a list of beliefs known as our Articles of Faith. They are as follows:

THE ARTICLES OF FAITH OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS​

CHAPTER 1

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.
3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4 We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
5 We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
7 We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
8 We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
10 We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
12 We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
Joseph Smith.
LOOK at three. Right here there is a major problem. Mormons believe that they must keep the ordinances and obey the Laws. What a CHRISTIAN knows is that NO ONE BUT GOD can keeps HIS LAWS and ORDINANCES (if you break even one you break them ALL), and these are what what JESUS kept perfectly and then gave HIS life as the PERFECT sacrifice.

Christians believe the BIBLE to be under GOD's protective care. And while some translations are better than other, we also have the original GREEK, HEBREW, and ARAMAIC that we can revisit and come to a clear understanding. The book of Mormon was "translated" by one man alone. And when some of what was translated was presumed lost, JOSEPH SMITH was unable to re-translate but formulated an excuse. The book of Mormon is presumed by Mormon's to be superior to the Bible we have today. Christians realize that such could never be the case.

As a Christian, I don't believe I need to be water baptized (but that it is symbolic and an opportunity to testify what CHRIST has accomplished in my life). It is CHRIST ALONE.
John 3:1-5
1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
As a Christian, I don't believe I can be baptized for anyone else. It is a personal relationship that must be accomplished and accepted during one's lifetime. It is CHRIST ALONE.
1 Corinthians 15:28-29
28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.
29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?
As a Christian, I don't believe I need to have partake of the elements of the LORD's Supper (but again it is symbolic and an opportunity to remember what the LORD had to do to save me).
John 6:52-56
52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
As a Christian, I don't consider it possible that GOD's HOLY Word could be corrupted. I believe GOD speaks to me through HIS Bible and explains what I need to know.
Then why don't you believe the things above?
As a Christian, I no longer need a high priest as HE BECOMES MINE.
If Christ is the great High Priest, then you certainly do need a high priest to be saved.

Hebrews 4:14

14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.

Read Ephesians 4:11-14 again to see that the organization of the church is essential for us to come to the unity of the faith.

As a Christian, I understand that I become the Temple of the HOLY SPIRIT. The need of a material temple was abolished and that was revealed when the curtain that separated man from GOD was torn from top to bottom when CHRIST gave up HIS SPIRIT upon the cross.
Revelation 15:5-8
5 And after that I looked, and, behold, the temple of the tabernacle of the testimony in heaven was opened:
6 And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.
7 And one of the four beasts gave unto the seven angels seven golden vials full of the wrath of God, who liveth for ever and ever.
8 And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God, and from his power; and no man was able to enter into the temple, till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled.

Then why is there a need for temples in heaven?
There is nothing that I need to do but accept HIM in faith alone, and that even that faith is both nurtured and matured by GOD. A Christian cannot lose his salvation because it comes from GOD.
What you need is to follow the teachings of Jesus and not just believe in him. As an example we all need to repent.

Luke 13:2-5
2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilæans were sinners above all the Galilæans, because they suffered such things?
3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Forum List

Back