Who are some of your favorite writers of Science Fiction?

Harlan Ellison and not just because he's an ex. Ray Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Robert Silverburg, Larry Niven, Alan Dean Foster.

My favorites are - 1) Ray Bradbury 2) Harlan Ellison 3) Kurt Vonnegut 4) Michael Crichton, and 5) Arthur C. Clarke

The greatest of them all has to be Asimov. Every book he wrote had solid scientific backgrounds. The reason for that was he had 5 PHDs in science and Engineering. But you had to be careful with Asimov's books. I read every book of scifi he put out. And I tried to read another one that sounded like it was scifi. IT wasn't. It was a technical Science Book written for his Science Peers. I read the first paragraph a few times and still didn't full understand it.

My favorites are - 1) Ray Bradbury 2) Harlan Ellison 3) Kurt Vonnegut 4) Michael Crichton, and 5) Arthur C. Clarke

The greatest of them all has to be Asimov. Every book he wrote had solid scientific backgrounds. The reason for that was he had 5 PHDs in science and Engineering. But you had to be careful with Asimov's books. I read every book of scifi he put out. And I tried to read another one that sounded like it was scifi. IT wasn't. It was a technical Science Book written for his Science Peers. I read the first paragraph a few times and still didn't full understand it.
Thanks for this info, Daryl.

Well, clearly Heinlein, Asimov, Clark, Dick, Bradbury, Niven, Foster, Herbert.

Then there were the great authors of Star Trek, Star Wars.

I gravitated away from SciFi about 30 years ago in favor of Fantasy writers like Tolkien, Donaldson, Lackey.

It really is too difficult to name a favorite author in any genre.

Lots good authors mentioned, so many can't even remember them all.

Can't fail to mention L Ron Hubbard, (not his Scientology strange stuff) but "BattleField Earth" Very good.

The "Helconia" series, Brian Aldiss. 3 seasons, 1000 years each, good.

Herbert. Heck read "Dune" in 3 days it was so good.

Jules Verne....

Al Gore ...

220px-An_Inconvenient_Truth.jpg

Robert Heinlein wrote a book of future history about the end of America. It's called the crazy years and pretty much nails what's happening now.

Does anybody actually "read" Si-Fi anymore? Clarke is known mostly for his screenplay "2001 Space odyssey" and I doubt if anyone ever read an Ellison book. Vonnegut is known for a couple of good novels like "Slaughterhouse 5". Maybe Bradbury is the only authentic Si-Fi writer on the list. Is Stephen King a Si-Fi writer?

Does anybody actually "read" Si-Fi anymore? Clarke is known mostly for his screenplay "2001 Space odyssey" and I doubt if anyone ever read an Ellison book. Vonnegut is known for a couple of good novels like "Slaughterhouse 5". Maybe Bradbury is the only authentic Si-Fi writer on the list. Is Stephen King a Si-Fi writer?
I read Ellison way back when I was a teenager.

Try Weber and Ringo and there are a bunch of others. David Weber has a 20 book series on a space admiral that fights in several interstellar wars in the future. It is called the HONOR HARRINGTON series. He also has a science fiction sword and sorcery series abouth the end of Earth and the society that hides on a new planet to avoid being destroyed, called the Safehold Series. John Ringo has several series set in the future or near future that involve aliens and science fiction. But what I really love is his Zombie series, they are not really zombies, it was a man made plague that nearly destroys society.

I've read damn near everything by Ringo.
Try "Freehold" by Mad Mike Williamson.

It should be required reading for military personnel. It's up there with Starship Troopers

Forum List

Back