Which religion do you follow? Why did you pick that one?

Most of my life I've been indifferent as far as following any belief. My goal was to stay neutral. lol
Then 3 yrs or so of living "only with nature", trying to find my inner God, new age, pagan ect.... Im a Christian/ I follow Christ.
...it was more what I was clearly shown, than any decision on my part.

Though I took a somewhat different path to get there, that was pretty much my experience too. As a young adult out in the world and exposed to the cynicism and arguments of the Atheists, I entertained doubts but was also filled with a great curiosity. I embarked on a journey of well over a decade to learn all I could learn about religion. I took courses, I did a lot of independent study, I talked with 'holy men' of many different traditions, and experienced their traditions up close and personal whenever I could.

And finally when it was all said and done I could see the appeal of all religious beliefs and could find the truths that exist in every religion. But the one truth I could not explain away or deny is that the Christ is real, the Christ is God, and I am a Christian.

I was called by the Holy Spirit and led to Christ. Period ... end of story.
Just as the moslem, born in the Middle East is called to the Allah gawd.

How really arbitrary and capricious.

The Bible warns that Satan is very deceptive and subtle and that he would present himself as an angel of light. Muslims (along with other anti-Christ religion) have been deceived.

Of course christianity is going to tell you its the one true religion dummy.

Of course Satan is going to tell you it isn't ... idiot.
My Muslim friend said "you're a great guy. Too bad you're going to hell."

He's just as stupid as you.

He truly IS stupid if he thinks I'm going to hell. But so are you for allowing yourself to go there.

If God has no body, and thus no ears, how does he receive pleasure from music which is just vibration of air molecules? To hear music, nevermind actually appreciate it, you need a brain. And ears. And a body.

Music is another form of mathematics. Mathematics itselve is not really visible. If we draw a circle on a medium (sand, stone, paper, monitor ...) then this picture is combined with the character of the medium - but it is on the other side never a perfect circle. Only our invisible ideas about circles are the reality of the circle. The strange thing: If circles had not existed in the very first sound of the big bang we could know nothing about the big bang or physics or civilisation and so on and so on.

Just out of curiosity.

I make it a practice -- nay, a rule -- to never "follow" anything. The creepiest part of modern e-technology to me is that people on Nosebook are said to have "followers". It just scares the shit outta me that anyone even thinks that way.

For everyday ruminations I find Taoism to address a lot of life energies. Mostly that. And for historical fascination, pre-Christian Euro-paganism. Other than that I'll drink from whatever fountain tastes like Truth. In moderation of course.

:booze:

Most of my life I've been indifferent as far as following any belief. My goal was to stay neutral. lol
Then 3 yrs or so of living "only with nature", trying to find my inner God, new age, pagan ect.... Im a Christian/ I follow Christ.
...it was more what I was clearly shown, than any decision on my part.

Though I took a somewhat different path to get there, that was pretty much my experience too. As a young adult out in the world and exposed to the cynicism and arguments of the Atheists, I entertained doubts but was also filled with a great curiosity. I embarked on a journey of well over a decade to learn all I could learn about religion. I took courses, I did a lot of independent study, I talked with 'holy men' of many different traditions, and experienced their traditions up close and personal whenever I could.

And finally when it was all said and done I could see the appeal of all religious beliefs and could find the truths that exist in every religion. But the one truth I could not explain away or deny is that the Christ is real, the Christ is God, and I am a Christian.

"Entertained doubts & filled with curiosity" is a great way to word it.
........your last paragraph is the same conclusion I came to.

Just out of curiosity.

I make it a practice -- nay, a rule -- to never "follow" anything. The creepiest part of modern e-technology to me is that people on Nosebook are said to have "followers". It just scares the shit outta me that anyone even thinks that way.

For everyday ruminations I find Taoism to address a lot of life energies. Mostly that. And for historical fascination, pre-Christian Euro-paganism. Other than that I'll drink from whatever fountain tastes like Truth. In moderation of course.

:booze:
lol @ nosebook. I agree though. Its a great way to stay in touch, meet people who share the same interest, bands promoting music ect... It can also be a huge creepfest. How many people need 4,000 friends with followers waiting to be added as a friend.
its people and groups who least deserve it.

Your statement here is absurde. Your ideas about Catholics are far from any reality.
Is this all you have?

You know your truth. I fear this truth has nothing to do with experiences you made with Catholics but with second-hand-experiences you made with enemies of the holy catholic church. You should not believe everything what someone says about Catholics. Some critics is very important - but on the other side: wrong ideas about Catholics are often nothing else than the excuse for some people to do what's wrong.

I am Catholic genius.

Do you have anything other than the assertion that what I said was "absurde" ?

Or is all you have is unfunded claims?

I am Catholic genius.

Quicumque vult salvus esse, ante omnia opus est, ut teneat catholicam fidem: Quam nisi quisque integram inviolatamque servaverit, absque dubio in aeternum peribit. Fides autem catholica haec est: ut unum Deum in Trinitate, et Trinitatem in unitate veneremur. Neque confundentes personas, neque substantiam separantes. Alia est enim persona Patris alia Filii, alia Spiritus Sancti: Sed Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti una est divinitas, aequalis gloria, coeterna maiestas. Qualis Pater, talis Filius, talis [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Increatus Pater, increatus Filius, increatus [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Immensus Pater, immensus Filius, immensus [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Aeternus Pater, aeternus Filius, aeternus [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Et tamen non tres aeterni, sed unus aeternus. Sicut non tres increati, nec tres immensi, sed unus increatus, et unus immensus. Similiter omnipotens Pater, omnipotens Filius, omnipotens [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Et tamen non tres omnipotentes, sed unus omnipotens. Ita Deus Pater, Deus Filius, Deus [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Et tamen non tres dii, sed unus est Deus. Ita Dominus Pater, Dominus Filius, Dominus [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Et tamen non tres Domini, sed unus [est] Dominus. Quia, sicut singillatim unamquamque personam Deum ac Dominum confiteri christiana veritate compellimur: Ita tres Deos aut [tres] Dominos dicere catholica religione prohibemur. Pater a nullo est factus: nec creatus, nec genitus. Filius a Patre solo est: non factus, nec creatus, sed genitus. Spiritus Sanctus a Patre et Filio: non factus, nec creatus, nec genitus, sed procedens. Unus ergo Pater, non tres Patres: unus Filius, non tres Filii: unus Spiritus Sanctus, non tres Spiritus Sancti. Et in hac Trinitate nihil prius aut posterius, nihil maius aut minus: Sed totae tres personae coaeternae sibi sunt et coaequales. Ita, ut per omnia, sicut iam supra dictum est, et unitas in Trinitate, et Trinitas in unitate veneranda sit. Qui vult ergo salvus esse, ita de Trinitate sentiat.

Sed necessarium est ad aeternam salutem, ut incarnationem quoque Domini nostri Iesu Christi fideliter credat. Est ergo fides recta ut credamus et confiteamur, quia Dominus noster Iesus Christus, Dei Filius, Deus [pariter] et homo est. Deus [est] ex substantia Patris ante saecula genitus: et homo est ex substantia matris in saeculo natus. Perfectus Deus, perfectus homo: ex anima rationali et humana carne subsistens. Aequalis Patri secundum divinitatem: minor Patre secundum humanitatem. Qui licet Deus sit et homo, non duo tamen, sed unus est Christus. Unus autem non conversione divinitatis in carnem, sed assumptione humanitatis in Deum. Unus omnino, non confusione substantiae, sed unitate personae. Nam sicut anima rationalis et caro unus est homo: ita Deus et homo unus est Christus. Qui passus est pro salute nostra: descendit ad inferos: tertia die resurrexit a mortuis. Ascendit ad [in] caelos, sedet ad dexteram [Dei] Patris [omnipotentis]. Inde venturus [est] judicare vivos et mortuos. Ad cujus adventum omnes homines resurgere habent cum corporibus suis; Et reddituri sunt de factis propriis rationem. Et qui bona egerunt, ibunt in vitam aeternam: qui vero mala, in ignem aeternum. Haec est fides catholica, quam nisi quisque fideliter firmiterque crediderit, salvus esse non poterit.

I am Catholic genius.

Quicumque vult salvus esse, ante omnia opus est, ut teneat catholicam fidem: Quam nisi quisque integram inviolatamque servaverit, absque dubio in aeternum peribit. Fides autem catholica haec est: ut unum Deum in Trinitate, et Trinitatem in unitate veneremur. Neque confundentes personas, neque substantiam separantes. Alia est enim persona Patris alia Filii, alia Spiritus Sancti: Sed Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti una est divinitas, aequalis gloria, coeterna maiestas. Qualis Pater, talis Filius, talis [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Increatus Pater, increatus Filius, increatus [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Immensus Pater, immensus Filius, immensus [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Aeternus Pater, aeternus Filius, aeternus [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Et tamen non tres aeterni, sed unus aeternus. Sicut non tres increati, nec tres immensi, sed unus increatus, et unus immensus. Similiter omnipotens Pater, omnipotens Filius, omnipotens [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Et tamen non tres omnipotentes, sed unus omnipotens. Ita Deus Pater, Deus Filius, Deus [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Et tamen non tres dii, sed unus est Deus. Ita Dominus Pater, Dominus Filius, Dominus [et] Spiritus Sanctus. Et tamen non tres Domini, sed unus [est] Dominus. Quia, sicut singillatim unamquamque personam Deum ac Dominum confiteri christiana veritate compellimur: Ita tres Deos aut [tres] Dominos dicere catholica religione prohibemur. Pater a nullo est factus: nec creatus, nec genitus. Filius a Patre solo est: non factus, nec creatus, sed genitus. Spiritus Sanctus a Patre et Filio: non factus, nec creatus, nec genitus, sed procedens. Unus ergo Pater, non tres Patres: unus Filius, non tres Filii: unus Spiritus Sanctus, non tres Spiritus Sancti. Et in hac Trinitate nihil prius aut posterius, nihil maius aut minus: Sed totae tres personae coaeternae sibi sunt et coaequales. Ita, ut per omnia, sicut iam supra dictum est, et unitas in Trinitate, et Trinitas in unitate veneranda sit. Qui vult ergo salvus esse, ita de Trinitate sentiat.

Sed necessarium est ad aeternam salutem, ut incarnationem quoque Domini nostri Iesu Christi fideliter credat. Est ergo fides recta ut credamus et confiteamur, quia Dominus noster Iesus Christus, Dei Filius, Deus [pariter] et homo est. Deus [est] ex substantia Patris ante saecula genitus: et homo est ex substantia matris in saeculo natus. Perfectus Deus, perfectus homo: ex anima rationali et humana carne subsistens. Aequalis Patri secundum divinitatem: minor Patre secundum humanitatem. Qui licet Deus sit et homo, non duo tamen, sed unus est Christus. Unus autem non conversione divinitatis in carnem, sed assumptione humanitatis in Deum. Unus omnino, non confusione substantiae, sed unitate personae. Nam sicut anima rationalis et caro unus est homo: ita Deus et homo unus est Christus. Qui passus est pro salute nostra: descendit ad inferos: tertia die resurrexit a mortuis. Ascendit ad [in] caelos, sedet ad dexteram [Dei] Patris [omnipotentis]. Inde venturus [est] judicare vivos et mortuos. Ad cujus adventum omnes homines resurgere habent cum corporibus suis; Et reddituri sunt de factis propriis rationem. Et qui bona egerunt, ibunt in vitam aeternam: qui vero mala, in ignem aeternum. Haec est fides catholica, quam nisi quisque fideliter firmiterque crediderit, salvus esse non poterit.

When you grow up I'll be here to debate.

There are four kinds of religious faith.

One is based on personal knowledge and experience that cannot be denied.

One is intellectual--it is logical, reasonable, and makes sense to the believer who may or may not be able to provide personal testimony to defend it.

One is the kind that people are afraid not to embrace for fear of punishment or rejection by people or God or gods. Or the person desperately wants to believe it to have reassurance and/or experience community and a sense of belonging. Some choose this kind of faith but probably most are born and raised in it.

And one is the rejection of anything spiritual or supernatural or anything larger than the believer.

All four groups have nice peaceful pleasant likable people in them. And all four have their fanatics, judgmental ego maniacs, bullies, and antagonists.

It is just that some have more than others.

Forum List

Back