which parts of leviticus should we follow

blu

Sep 21, 2009
we all know that the gay people get a rough time due to Leviticus but I think Christians aren't following jesus properly b/c I have yet to see someone stoned for blaspheming the lord as instructed here:

Leviticus 24:16 - Passage Lookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com

I think Christians either need to start stoning people to do death or they need to stop picking on gays, otherwise they are hypocrites.

"which parts of leviticus should we follow"

All of it. In the same note that is meant for each individual personally to follow, the Ten commandments still apply always and forever. Search out your own heart and kill those things within yourself that are an abomination to God. Pretty simple really.

Generally most Believers do know and/or understand what that "Personal relationship" means personal/self examination.

"But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave [them] me, is greater than all; and no [man] is able to pluck [them] out of my Father's hand. I and [my] Father are one."

All this uncovering nakedness is just a preview for the hottest law of all, the No. 1, all-time favorite, top-of-the-pops Bible verse for social conservatives: Leviticus 18:22.

"Do not lie with a male as one lies with a woman; it is an abhorrence."

A lot of ink, and probably some blood, has been spilled about the meaning of this verse. I can't count the number of times I've heard religious conservatives cite it in their condemnation of homosexuality. On the flip side, I once listened to my rabbi hold forth about the word "abhorrence" (sometimes translated as "abomination")—he argued that it actually had a much milder meaning than, well, "abhorrence." Despite his impassioned argument, I don't think gay-rights supporters are going to get very far in trying to minimize or deny the Bible's opposition to homosexuality. There is no Brokeback Mount Sinai. This verse, plus a similar verse in Chapter 20 mandating death for gay sex between men, plus the destruction of Sodom—the Bible is crystal clear about male homosexuality. (Lesbian sex isn't mentioned in the Torah.) So, how should Bible-loving gay-rights supporters rebut Leviticus 18:22? A stronger argument, perhaps, is to point out all the other things the Bible is equally clear about: The death penalty for gay sex, yes—but also the death penalty for cursing your parents, the death penalty for violating Sabbath, exile for sex with a menstruating woman, etc. … Turn the Bible-quoting back on the social conservatives: Why do they fixate on the abhorrent gay sex and not the abhorrent menstrual sex, or parent cursing, or Sabbath-violating?

Leviticus on slavery—worse than I imagined. (1) - By David Plotz - Slate Magazine

:lol:

Last edited:
not sure how my religion is relevant to the op, but i am a pastafarian

if you are christian ask your spirtual leader to interpret it for you.....if you are not ....don't worry about it....

How about minding your own fucking business once in a while?

if Christians only used their book to discriminate against other Christians than I would. Since they use their fairy tale book to discriminate/hate others and push for laws that affect all people then I will continue to care. why don't they mind their own business?

How about minding your own fucking business once in a while?

if Christians only used their book to discriminate against other Christians than I would. Since they use their fairy tale book to discriminate/hate others and push for laws that affect all people then I will continue to care. why don't they mind their own business?

People that live in societies determine the laws in those societies regardless of their beliefs or faith. It is only in your own mind that you consider that you personally are being discriminated against for your own personal choices.

When a society creates laws or statutes these laws affect everyone equally. Since many Christians live in this society they have every right to also help in determining which laws should be voted on and they also get to help determine what is best for that society they live in. That is the way it is in America. Laws are created, voted on and even repealed all the time. It is a process where each one gets to have a say. It is my business what laws are put on the books just as much as it is yours. You may whine, slander and scream all you like but I and many others like me bare no quilt in what you choose to do to yourself.

we all know that the gay people get a rough time due to Leviticus but I think Christians aren't following jesus properly b/c I have yet to see someone stoned for blaspheming the lord as instructed here:

Leviticus is writen for a specific people at a specific time. While it does identify what is sin, or wrong, the way it teaches the people to handle the sins or wrongs only applies to the people of the time. God was developinf a people for a greater and eternal plan. In doing so, He began by making it very absolute and exact. That is clear by Jesus' teachings as He said, "you have heard it said...but I say..." It was necessary to let the people know that He was serious about sin, and He made the consequences very serious. However, not quite as serious as eternal separation from Him. God did not change, but we are in a different stage of growth now.

Leviticus 24:16 - Passage*Lookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com

I think Christians either need to start stoning people to do death or they need to stop picking on gays, otherwise they are hypocrites.

We certainly don't need to start stoning. However, we also don't need to stop identifying sin as it was identified. Leviticus is not the only place where homosexuality is defined as sin. Also, the sin of homosexuality is not all about same sex acts. The sin is identified in other ways. Just as is adultery, and other sins.

Last edited:
I make it an effort to follow most of it. Some of it you can't follow because it's impossible as the temple no longer exists, slavery is no longer legal (a good thing of course), neither is polygamy, and Yahshuah preached against divorce and remarriage, (though he didn't preach against concubines or "common law" marriage which I find interesting). Personally I see the law as man's guide to how he is SUPPOSED to behave. The law is very helpful in conducting everyday life and the Proverbs are extremely wise and very inspirational. The kosher diet is also much healthier, even though I've been so tempted by "crawlfish" being from down south.

I can't tell you how many problems I've avoided though in life because I've read the Book of Proverbs and make an effort to follow the Law of Moses in my personal life, and I'm really not that religious.

050823jthom_first_vision_meatballs.jpg

Leviticus 24:16 - Passage*Lookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com

My second response:

Since those who say that Christians should not use Leviticus as a text don't even listen when told that there are other texts that address sex sins which include gays, I wonder why they even think they can question either use.

I personally never use leviticus, nor do I believe it applies here regarding punishment, I think it is time for gays to realize that the Bible has other verses and means of addressing gay sex, and sex in general. They don't seem to want to hear it.

Here it is, sex outside of marriage is sin. Marriage, as mentioned in the Bible is ALWAYS about a husband and wife, not two husbands or two wives. You either need to address this kind of statrement, or stop questioning the issue. Face it or don't, just don't condemn Christians or the Bible about it.

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Sodom was destroyed because of the gays, its a good thing we're no longer under the O. T.

Forum List

Back