Where's the oil?

The fucking Oil leaked a mile down. Considering the strong currents at that depth, The crap is all over the place. Not too mention they say alot of it will form blobs of tar and stay on the Ocean floor in some areas. Just stop the god damn leak before they destroy the entire Gulf ecosystem for decades to come. ~BH

Wait a minute............I've got a brilliant idea. If that oil is just spilling out, then massing and falling to the ocean floor, we can still get it. WITHOUT DRILLING!!!!!

All we have to do is open up some spouts, and let the oil spill out into the water. Then, just like we've done, use floating barriers to contain it and let it sink and mass into a big blob. Then just get some vacuum cleaner like machinery, and suck that shit right up into tankers.

We can discard "Drill baby drill" and use the phrase "Suck baby suck!!"

Oh, wait. Clinton already used that one. Nevermind.

it may have precipitated into tar balls or something. I dunno. It is odd whatever the case.

Just read (on drudge I think) that they're finding oil settling on the bottom of the ocean.

No, I don't get it either.

I though the specific gravity of oil was much lighter than water, too

Depends on the oil. Also, this particular type of oil tends to emulsify in water.

Two weeks to go until hurricane season. And the Gulf Current may be picking this up and taking it around Florida by now. Corals and oil are a bad combination.

as always, the media hysteria will be worse than reality. i remember reporters saying thousands of bodies were floating around new orleans, rape and murder gangs were loose in the superdome, and releif helicopters were being shot at.

and just a few weeks ago air travel was shut down for no reason at all.

Gee, does that mean the Exxon Valdez spill was actually greater since most of it may have evaportated?:D The SPIN is IN, for sure.

How about this, maybe at the 5000 foot depth, the petroleum freezes and solidifies,then sinks to the bottom, immobilizing it's effects for a short period, so it can pollute in the future. Remember the ice forming inside that stupid pot they lowered over the blowout.

That's my stupid theory. :eek:

Err, I wasn't trying to spin anything.

I was wondering what the effect of all that oil would be on local precipitation.

I have family in Tampa.

Are you fucking serious?

You think oil is gonna evaporate into clouds then mix with water, then precipitate?

Gee, does that mean the Exxon Valdez spill was actually greater since most of it may have evaportated?:D The SPIN is IN, for sure.

How about this, maybe at the 5000 foot depth, the petroleum freezes and solidifies,then sinks to the bottom, immobilizing it's effects for a short period, so it can pollute in the future. Remember the ice forming inside that stupid pot they lowered over the blowout.

I was wondering what the effect of all that oil would be on local precipitation.

I have family in Tampa.

Are you fucking serious?

You think oil is gonna evaporate into clouds then mix with water, then precipitate?

Probably serious.

We have an education system that teaches people to follow rather than think.

Some liar on FOX, CNN, or PBS probably said something about oil evaporating so automatically a certain percentage of the public goes there without even thinking about it. Kinda like how the gubmint "knew" who was responsible for 9/11 even before the last plane hit the Pentagon. We're trined in school to believe and trust the government, and the media parrots what the government wants us to believe.

And like George Carlin says, most of us are too uneducated to realize it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cz4vcQKWfA]YouTube - George Carlin ~ Owners of the country[/ame]

Wow, so 35 percent of the oil may have evaporated?

Does that mean it comes down with rain?

LOL... TELL ME that you were joking... and the education system has no become so thoroughly worthless that you weren't taught what evaporation is... Which would, quite naturally preclude 'oil evaporating'.

I have family in Tampa.

Let me put your mind at ease.

The oil that makes it to the surface has components in it called "light ends" which volitalise at low temperature and pressure.

These hydrocarbons (like methane) will go into the atmosphere, but compared with water vapor, they make up a very small proportion. More Methane, Ethane, Propane, are all commonly produced in nature, and are occasionally released in larger quantities, they do not form "rain."

However, there is an interesting theory that these gasses were released from the gas/bitumen (asphalt) deposites surrounding ancient Sodom and Gommorah, and were the cause of those cities biblical conflagration.

Tampa, could be the next Gommorah?

Looks like they may have found it.... an underwater slick of approx 10 miles by 1 mile about 4,000 feet below the surface. That's so not good.

Looks like they may have found it.... an underwater slick of approx 10 miles by 1 mile about 4,000 feet below the surface. That's so not good.
Then the question is, will it pile up down there or be forced up by currents into warmer water then onto shore?

OK, a couple of things:

Firstly -

Not according to science....

Oil Evaporation

Your article states this:

YES. Oil does evaporate. But it evaporates in a weird way. Oil is not a pure compound. Oil
is a blend of many different sizes of what chemists call 'hydrocarbons' or 'molecules'. These
molecules range from very very small (16 grams / mole ) to very very large molecules
(100s-1,000s of grams / mole)

The lighter molecules will evaporate quicker than the heavier molecules. WHY?

Let us pretend there is an oil called Rzvana's Blend. It is made of only 10 different
molecules:

Molecule 1 weighs about 16 g / mole.
Molecule 2 weighs about 32 g / mole.

Secondly:

LOL... TELL ME that you were joking... and the education system has no become so thoroughly worthless that you weren't taught what evaporation is... Which would, quite naturally preclude 'oil evaporating'.

I admitted I am no chemist and asked an honest question.

I didn't pretend that I knew the answer, and insinuate that another poster lacked an education, when I in fact didn't know the answer at all (see above).

Which is of course what you just did.

Now, perhaps you may want to go back and get some more of that good ol' American education.

and, finally:

The oil that makes it to the surface has components in it called "light ends" which volitalise at low temperature and pressure.

These hydrocarbons (like methane) will go into the atmosphere, but compared with water vapor, they make up a very small proportion. More Methane, Ethane, Propane, are all commonly produced in nature, and are occasionally released in larger quantities, they do not form "rain."

However, there is an interesting theory that these gasses were released from the gas/bitumen (asphalt) deposites surrounding ancient Sodom and Gommorah, and were the cause of those cities biblical conflagration.

Tampa, could be the next Gommorah?

Thank you. THAT is an answer to my question.

Last edited:

Well, that would make sense in both cases.

If the lighter molecules evaporated into the atmosphere separating from the heavier molecules, the heavier molecules would sink.

I told you nicely in post #7 that oil doesn't evaporate like water...

A simple search by you would have verified my statement...

Ahh, you were answering the rain part of my question in that post, not the evaporation part.

I see, you're right, I misread due to lack of specific wording. My bad.

Rep for a good answer that I argued with, lol.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back