where the crawdads sing

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
first i did not read the book....second i am not a big fan of romance went more for the mystery aspect of it...third why the hell do they have asheville....a short drive from the coast...we do not have marshes or swamps till near the coast...a good 5 hour drive away...anyways i have issues with that...now the story is girl is abandoned by family...she has two loves....her childhood friend and the local football hero..i dont wanna do any spoilers here...its a well directed film...is interesting...i would never call it a mystery however..its a lover story and it jumps between time frames...it could have been shorter.

and another thing.....you had to have a boat to get anywhere from the marsh she lived in but her family leaves one by one....just walking down a path...that is the kinda thing that just distracts the hell outta me...

first i did not read the book....second i am not a big fan of romance went more for the mystery aspect of it...third why the hell do they have asheville....a short drive from the coast...we do not have marshes or swamps till near the coast...a good 5 hour drive away...anyways i have issues with that...now the story is girl is abandoned by family...she has two loves....her childhood friend and the local football hero..i dont wanna do any spoilers here...its a well directed film...is interesting...i would never call it a mystery however..its a lover story and it jumps between time frames...it could have been shorter.

Some people have complained about those geographical plot holes since the books came out apparently. I have read reviews of the story (the book and the movie). Not something that interests me to watch.

Her suitor who well jumps time frames is in this movie though. This is more my cup of tea:

The way you catch crawdads by hand is you have to go from behind and snatch em up behind their claws with your thumb and your index finger, kind of like a pinch, so their claws don't get you.

Just some useless trivia.

That's how I used to do it anyway.

It's called, Poetic License, taking liberties with the facts in order to improve the film. If the director believes the swamps and marshes enhance the movie, he snaps his finders and the marshes become a short drive from Ashville. This happens constantly in movies and usually the only people to speak up are people familiar with the locale.

Seattle is a location for many movies and television programs. Often the outdoor scenes are the most familiar ones too tourist, the Space Needle, Puget Sound, Pike Street Market, etc. However for other outdoor scenes the moviemakers head to Vancouver which has similar weather and the cost of filming is a lot less. Reality is not a big part of movie making. Big bucks are.

Last edited:
The way you catch crawdads by hand is you have to go from behind and snatch em up behind their claws with your thumb and your index finger, kind of like a pinch, so their claws don't get you.

Just some useless trivia.

That's how I used to do it anyway.
When I was a kid, we just used a stick with a string tied to it and a piece of meat. When he get hold of it you just pull him out and hop he holds on. However, if your are serious about catching crawfish, you need to set traps. It takes about 3 to 5 lbs. of crawfish per person to make a meal.

When I was a kid, we just used a stick with a string tied to it and a piece of meat at the end. When the crawfish get hold of it you just pull him out and hop he holds on. However, if your are serious about catching crawfish, you need to set traps. It takes about 3 to 5 lbs. of crawfish per person to make a meal.

I was just told yesterday that this is a good movie, and I had never heard of it until then.
The book is a huge best seller. Critics reviews mixed. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 34%. Audiences liked it better. I will stream for free it when available.

Watched this last night and thought it was a pretty good movie.

bones' synopsis was horrible, but that's okay, I don't hate her.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was pretty good. But now that I think about it, kind of dark. It promotes a naturalistic worldview, which seems to imply that because certain things happen in nature, those things are ok for humans. And without giving a spoiler, that could mean something very bad. But it did keep me on the edge of my seat… not like a thriller, but in a more slow burner type of way.

Also, after watching it last night, I found out this morning that the author of the book Where The Crawdads Sing was apparently involved in a controversy many years ago that is similar to what happens in the book. Which some people are saying could be the inspiration? :dunno:

Forum List

Back