When was America Great?

People in the 1950’s were complaining that the world was going to hell. Women were shamelessly wearing bikinis. Dresses had gotten scandalously short. (Wait a decade and the mini skirt was invented.) Blacks had started playing professional sports and were paid equal to Whites in the sport.

The Military was desegregated causing social problems and making people complain that the military was not a social program.

Korea was nearly lost because cuts to the military had made it so small and shallow that there wasn’t any force behind it.

Shall I continue?
Well, like I said, my idea of it may be different than what it really was, but that was the idea I had of it.

Still, with all its problems, seems like it was better than now.

People in the 1950’s were complaining that the world was going to hell

Yeah, they are still saying that, but it’s worse now than them I’m assuming.

Women were shamelessly wearing bikinis.

The fashion of 2023 sees your bikinis and raises you a thong (otherwise known as anal floss) and a pasties swim top…

Dresses had gotten scandalously short. (Wait a decade and the mini skirt was invented.

The fashion of 2023 sees your dresses and mini skirts and raises you a see through top and fish net stockings…

Blacks had started playing professional sports and were paid equal to Whites in the sport
Sounds like a good thing.

Korea was nearly lost because cuts to the military had made it so small and shallow that there wasn’t any force behind it.

Well, im not making my statement of America based on what happened in any other country.

Almost half of the worlds economy is a problem coupled with an increasing union participation? what more do you want?
I would like the GOP to stop creating depressions with corrupt deregulation. Like Trump's deregulation of small banks which went belly up last year. He was just getting started.... I really don't know how anyone can vote GOP, it's all an imaginary planet they have....

I mean, trump didn’t ever say what he meant by “maga” did he?
Yeah, it's always just struck me as a slogan that sounded like music to Donny's ears. Now he thinks becoming a dictator sounds good. The Heritage Foundation thinks so too.. Project 2025..

We keep hearing that Trump is needed to Make America Great Again.

Ok. So when was America Great? Tell me the year that America was Great and why. I’m honestly curious as to what you’ll answer. Was it 1985 when Reagan was starting his second term with a 49 state landslide re-election? Was it earlier? Later?

Tell me what happened to end that greatness.
Define "Great"as to what
In economic terms? military and imperialistic terms? social terms? etc.

Did it ever occur to anyone that trump wasn’t talking about a time in americas history when he said “make America great again, but rather bolstering americas position on the world stage? Making America great again in the eyes of the rest of the world?

I mean, trump didn’t ever say what he meant by “maga” did he? Seems like everyone else assigned their own meaning to it.

Even if he was referring to a time in history, the left automatically assigned all the negative connotations to it. Maybe trump did mean a time in the past, when Americans worked hard, built great things, and the economy was better.

For me personally, though I wasn’t alive in the 50’s, it seems like it would have been a good time to be alive. Things seemed like they were simpler then. It seemed like a more wholesome time, and people had values. Not that I believe a woman’s place is in the home, but back then, the wife COULD stay at home and raise the kids and make the home, and a man could work a 40 hour week and make enough money to buy a house, raise a family, buy 2 cars, go on vacation each year, and put the kids through college, and then be able to retire comfortably after 20 years with the company.

Maybe my idea of that time doesn’t reflect what it was really like, but that’s the idea I have in my head of it.
The 50s really was a good time. The war was over. As the only functioning economy it was booming. Schools taught real subjects. Yes women stayed home. But they were raising families of 4 or more children. Kids seemed to play outside more, all the time. Movies were fun. Television was fun.

The 50s really was a good time. The war was over. As the only functioning economy it was booming. Schools taught real subjects. Yes women stayed home. But they were raising families of 4 or more children. Kids seemed to play outside more, all the time. Movies were fun. Television was fun.

See, that’s my impression of it. Granted, I will admit maybe MY “vision” of the 50’s may have been skewed by what I saw on television and the movies, however, if that’s how life was, then it seems like it would have been a good time.

See, that’s my impression of it. Granted, I will admit maybe MY “vision” of the 50’s may have been skewed by what I saw on television and the movies, however, if that’s how life was, then it seems like it would have been a good time.

Odd. They don’t show the Heroin, or the abuses that Americans including Veterans endured because they were black.

Ok, please explain. As I stated, it’s just MY idea of what the 50’s seems like. I didn’t live in those times, so, I just go from the little I’ve seen about it
I wasn't alive. So the only real objective idea I could possibly have about that decade would be based on media or hearsay. Whether written, filmed, or documented in early television, logically, my vision will be based upon someone else's possibly skewed vision. And from the media I've gathered about that decade over 50 years, imma say that shit is overly sanitized.

No thanks. And that is why I believe your fantasy sucks. :dunno:

Ok. So when was America Great? Tell me the year that America was Great and why. I’m honestly curious as to what you’ll answer. Was it 1985 when Reagan was starting his second term with a 49 state landslide re-election? Was it earlier? Later?

The United States of America is great now, and has been ever since long before I was born. If you don't like it here, feel free to immigrate.

Also, and again, I wasn’t there then, but it seemed like, even though the woman stayed home, men didn’t look down on them for it. Women were loved and revered by their husbands. A woman being a homemaker was respected, not scoffed at.

Again, not that I’m trying to suggest a woman’s place is in the home, but, it seemed like it was a highly regarded thing. Maybe women silently hated it? I don’t know. How did most women feel about the women’s lib movement?

I wasn't alive. So the only real objective idea I could possibly have about that decade would be based on media or hearsay. Whether written, filmed, or documented in early television, logically, my vision will be based upon someone else's possibly skewed vision. And from the media I've gathered about that decade over 50 years, imma say that shit is overly sanitized.

No thanks. And that is why I believe your fantasy sucks. :dunno:
Ok, so if my view of that time period is inaccurate, it still doesn’t change that what my vision of that time period is, would have been a great time

You say my view is sanitized, then please, educate me on the REAL 1950’s

America was great before we outsourced all our jobs to third world countries.

America was great when politicians answered to the people.

America was great when a family could live on a single income.

America was great when we had charity...not welfare.

America was great before our cities looked like this...

Nonsense

Korea wasn't lost nor won - the USA simply managed to reinstate the previous status quo it had established in 1945 by carving up Korea into N-Korea and South Korea. Since they had stood by and simply acknowledged Soviet "liberation" of the North in 1945.

They were not willing to further sacrifice soldiers to "liberate" N-Korea in 1945 from Japanese occupation - and they were not willing to further sacrifice soldiers and economic resources in 1953 - therefore all parties involved accepting a cease-fire.

I think it still is. Are there problems? Is there room for improvement?
Yes, of course. I am reminded of an old saying, "et Caesar pedit"
The greatness shows itself in the desire and ability to improve.

Forum List

Back