When Squirrels Were One of America’s Most Popular Pets

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
I had forgotten all about this..well..call it a fad?

In 1722, a pet squirrel named Mungo passed away. It was a tragedy: Mungo escaped its confines and met its fate at the teeth of a dog. Benjamin Franklin, friend of the owner, immortalized the squirrel with a tribute.
“Few squirrels were better accomplished, for he had a good education, had traveled far, and seen much of the world.” Franklin wrote, adding, “Thou art fallen by the fangs of wanton, cruel Ranger!”
Mourning a squirrel’s death wasn’t as uncommon as you might think when Franklin wrote Mungo’s eulogy; in the 18th- and 19th centuries, squirrels were fixtures in American homes, especially for children. While colonial Americans kept many types of wild animals as pets, squirrels “were the most popular,” according to Katherine Grier’s Pets in America, being relatively easy to keep.
image.jpg

John Singleton Copley’s ‘A Boy with a Flying Squirrel.’ Photo from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston/Public Domain.
By the 1700s, a golden era of squirrel ownership was in full swing. Squirrels were sold in markets and found in the homes of wealthy urban families, and portraits of well-to-do children holding a reserved, polite upper-class squirrel attached to a gold chain leash were proudly displayed (some of which are currently at the Metropolitan Museum of Art). Most pet squirrels were American Grey Squirrels, though Red Squirrels and Flying Squirrels also were around, enchanting the country with their devil-may-care attitudes and fluffy bodies.

image.jpg

A girl with a pet squirrel - and parrot, cat and pigeon. Photo from the Internet Archive/Public Domain.

Ah, rabies. What fun!
It is unusual for squirrels to contract rabies and very rare if ever happened that a squirrel bite can give you rabies...

I have never understood why this myth keep on going but at least the CDC can help... Wait they believe in Covid so maybe not... ( As you wonder if I am being sarcastic about the Covid part... Well I leave you wondering )

I regularly sit on my back porch and feed the squirrels. Some will eat out of my hand. They will climb up on the window and peer in if they see me and I've not brought something out for them.

I regularly sit on my back porch and feed the squirrels. Some will eat out of my hand. They will climb up on the window and peer in if they see me and I've not brought something out for them.

We had one that would eat at the window that would drive my indoor cat nuts!

My cat would just meow at the Squirrel while the squirrel would sit there and just eat...

I had forgotten all about this..well..call it a fad?

In 1722, a pet squirrel named Mungo passed away. It was a tragedy: Mungo escaped its confines and met its fate at the teeth of a dog. Benjamin Franklin, friend of the owner, immortalized the squirrel with a tribute.
“Few squirrels were better accomplished, for he had a good education, had traveled far, and seen much of the world.” Franklin wrote, adding, “Thou art fallen by the fangs of wanton, cruel Ranger!”
Mourning a squirrel’s death wasn’t as uncommon as you might think when Franklin wrote Mungo’s eulogy; in the 18th- and 19th centuries, squirrels were fixtures in American homes, especially for children. While colonial Americans kept many types of wild animals as pets, squirrels “were the most popular,” according to Katherine Grier’s Pets in America, being relatively easy to keep.
image.jpg

John Singleton Copley’s ‘A Boy with a Flying Squirrel.’ Photo from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston/Public Domain.
By the 1700s, a golden era of squirrel ownership was in full swing. Squirrels were sold in markets and found in the homes of wealthy urban families, and portraits of well-to-do children holding a reserved, polite upper-class squirrel attached to a gold chain leash were proudly displayed (some of which are currently at the Metropolitan Museum of Art). Most pet squirrels were American Grey Squirrels, though Red Squirrels and Flying Squirrels also were around, enchanting the country with their devil-may-care attitudes and fluffy bodies.

image.jpg

A girl with a pet squirrel - and parrot, cat and pigeon. Photo from the Internet Archive/Public Domain.
Back in the early 70's I ended up with a short eared owl that had his left wing scatter gunned by some mindless soul. I always had thought that birds of prey were savage creatures, but I found out within a week of having Barney that my assumption was completely wrong. If I had another Barney I would be so grateful!

I love squirrels!
Lions and squirrels...O and horses.
Years ago I lived in a cottage and there was a large wooded area next to the river. I made friends with two squirrels, Sam and Samantha.
Red squirrels are native to England and smaller than the imported American Grey squirrel that nearly forced the Reds into extinction, but they are making a comeback.
It always used to amaze me the speed that they could travel through the trees. One day I watched Sam climb up the gable end of the Tax Inspectors house, a sheer brick face. When Sam got near the top he turned and climbed down headfirst.
Trudi said they were vermin and they were nicking the birdfeed and I should get rid of them. It was always me who fed the birds and I think she was just jealous. I was never going to do that as I think Sam, Samantha, and I had a special almost spiritual connection. They used to come right up to me but would run if Trudi was anyway near.

I don't really know why I've told you this...anyway!

Trudi said they were vermin and they were nicking the birdfeed and I should get rid of them. It was always me who fed the birds and I think she was just jealous.
Sometimes the squirrels are the pests. Sometimes the birds. I figured out how to keep the squirrels out of the bird feed, then the birds just multiplied and shit all over everything. No more. I quit. Fewer, less pesty birds now. LOL

Trudi said they were vermin and they were nicking the birdfeed and I should get rid of them. It was always me who fed the birds and I think she was just jealous.
Sometimes the squirrels are the pests. Sometimes the birds. I figured out how to keep the squirrels out of the bird feed, then the birds just multiplied and shit all over everything. No more. I quit. Fewer, less pesty birds now. LOL
A little 'small creature' poo is no great harm. I knew a woman who was obsessed with sterilizing everything.
I'd be sat having a brew with her and ger hub, next thing she'd disappear and return with a spray and cloth and start wiping - the door handles, light switches, the top of the picture frames on the wall.
There was always this sickly sweet smell permeating through their house.
A little of nature's smelly stuff helps build a strong immune system.

Forum List

Back