When Don Cheadle found out who owned his ancestors as slaves.

Look, I hate to burst your damn bubble but this horseshit about the Republican party being formed to end slavery is totally nuts. Or that Lincoln's life's purpose was the free the slaves, and your idiot statement, only Republicans served in the Union Army, or even that those fighting for the Union were fighting to free the slaves, total horseshit.

The Republican Party was formed to fight the expansion of slavery into the Western territories. NOt because they had any moral outrage against slavery, not because they didn't want any slaves in the Western territories. It was because they didn't want any black people, PERIOD, in the Western territories. The Republican party has always been the party of White Supremacists, let's quote your almighty Lincoln,

"I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races -- that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this, that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

In the mid nineteenth century, that was pretty much a universal opinion. Even the most radical abolitionists thought blacks were inferior to whites. They were anti-slavery, not pro-black.

The only slave owners that were paid reparations were those that lived in the District of Columbia AND were loyal to the Union. They were paid $300 per slave. No slave owner in the South was compensated, nor were any Yankee troops condemned for all the rape and pillaging they did.

And here is the thing, who are you, are anyone else for that matter, to tell me who or what I should honor? The Civil War did not end slavery, it still exists to this very day. And the tens of thousands of Confederate soldiers that died were not fighting to preserve slavery no matter how damn much that myth is circulated. They fought to defend their homes and families. Hell, very few of them even owned slaves, and many of them complained about fighting a "rich man's war", seems like some things never change.

The Emancipation Proclamation did not free a single slave. It was a proclamation proclaiming all slaves in Southern States would be free if the South did not lay down their arms within 100 days. The slaves in Union held territories or states loyal to the Union were exempt, like Kentucky and New Orleans. Biden should issue a proclamation and claim that the 800,000 slaves in Russia (From the Global Slavery Index) will be free if Russia does not lay down their arms in regards to Ukraine in the next 100 days. IT IS THE SAME THING.

And finally, the flag. Where did this concept of "free to not be offended" come from? Hell, I am offended by rap music, should it be banned? If a flag I choose to fly offends you, well it is none of my business and it is not my problem. Should we ban the Palestinian flag next? What about the Rainbow flag? It is stupid.
Who are you...and what have you done with Winston???

Cigar Store Statues ?

No, sadly, I'm thinking of things like the Crazy Horse monument in South Dakota. The left made the rule that anyone associated with slavery needs to be erased from the public square, so blowing up this monument is probably the only acceptable course of action. Also, schools and other public buildings named after native Americans will need to be looked at and renamed. Again, these aren't my rules, they're the left's rules.

I’m not the one telling people what to do.
That would be you.
Cancel culture? You and your pathetic scumbags don't demand how people should think and talk you fucking hypocritical gasbag? Do any of you have any sort of self awareness at all? Wait, what a stupid question. If you did, it would be difficult for you not to kill yourselves.

Cancel culture? You and your pathetic scumbags don't demand how people should think and talk you fucking hypocritical gasbag? Do any of you have any sort of self awareness at all? Wait, what a stupid question. If you did, it would be difficult for you not to kill yourselves.
This has all the earmarks of an AI generated reply

No one is asking you to wipe all memory of the Confederacy. Far from it. What's being asked is that you stop HONORING and REVERING these traitors to the Republic. And that you start teaching the truth about slavery and racism in the USA. Stop romantizing the AnteBellum pre Civil War era as some sort of "Golden Age" of the 0ld South.

Slave owners were paid reparations for the loss of their "property" when Lincoln freed the slaves. The descendents of the slaves are still waiting for their compensation.
It wasn't your history dingbat.

I didn't own any. I'm exempt. Won't be paying.
What are you going to do when Biden starts doling out your tax $$. You'll be paying regardless just like we are paying for the war in Ukraine and the conservative tax payers in WA are paying for sex ed and CRT to be taught in the schools. The WA Supt. of Public Instruction is denying state and federal education $$ to schools who dare defy his mandates. Unless we refuse to pay any taxes, they will be forcing us to pay for whatever cockamamie bullshit they dream up.

No, sadly, I'm thinking of things like the Crazy Horse monument in South Dakota. The left made the rule that anyone associated with slavery needs to be erased from the public square, so blowing up this monument is probably the only acceptable course of action. Also, schools and other public buildings named after native Americans will need to be looked at and renamed. Again, these aren't my rules, they're the left's rules.
Sorry hoss, don't think the Lakota had slaves.

He somehow doesn't know "how to feel about it." That his ancestors were enslaved by the Chickasaw Nation.

Tell us leftist losers. Should we wipe out all memory of the Chickasaw Nation along with the Cherokee Nation along with the various other tribes that fought for the confederacy and owned negro slaves?

Hmmmmmmm?
He doesn’t know how to feel about it because he was getting all revved up to find out his ancestors were owned by typical white southerners only to find out that they were owned by a protected class in native Americans. He should dig deeper to the root…. Blacks were sold to Whites by Blacks. An inconvenient truth today is that all modern-day slavery is practiced by non-whites.

How do you feel now?

Who are you...and what have you done with Winston???
LOL. Nope, just Winston. Born and bred in the South and damn proud of it. My family has lived here since before there was a United States. I have ancestors that fought in the Revolutionary War and some that fought, and lost their lives, in the Civil War. Unfortunately, I also have some unknown member of the Michigan militia as an ancestor as well, go figure out how that came to be.

So, it is absolutely insulting to me when some damn Yankee tries to claim the moral high ground. The reality is we all have responsibility for slavery, just because it lasted longer in the South does not grant the North a free pass.

Two events take place in this area every year. The first is called Soldier's Reunion, and it has been going on for almost 150 years. It was established to honor the veterans of both the Union and the Confederacy, and it was started by a black man. The second is the famous Cat Square Christmas Parade. Marching every year is a Sons of the Confederacy unit, and most often it is a black man carrying the Stars and Bars.

And that is just it. This whole destroying of monument thing completely ignores the fact that neither newly freed slaves nor veteran Yankee soldiers, condemned the Confederate soldiers. I wish I could find it, but it has probably disappeared down the rabbit hole. A newly elected Republican black representative in the Mississippi legislature gave a stirring speech supporting Confederate monuments. Those men fought with HONOR, something that was woefully lacking in the Yankee army. When Confederate soldiers turned, they became "Outlaws", like Jesse James. But when Yankee soldiers committed war crimes, they became heroes, like Sherman.

Look, five miles from where I live is where the Hibriten Boys first mustered. They were the F platoon of the 26th of North Carolina. They suffered a 100% casualty rate during Pickett's charge and yet they planted the Stars and Bars on the barricades of the Yankee army. Not a single one of them owned a slave, not even their "boy general", who was the last of 16 men to carry the flag and plant it.

Forum List

Back