When does human life end?

Fort Fun Indiana

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017

Is it when the heart stops?

When brain activity ceases?

When someone's ability to understand what is happening around them goes away? When their memories and cogent thoughts cease to form?

That's a good question.

Legally when the ticker stops.

Functionally however, cognitive decline kinda kills the show.

I had an experience with my third grade teacher, when I was much older.

The memories I had...and the reality of then was shocking.

She wasn't there anymore.

When someone's ability to understand what is happening around them goes away? When their memories and cogent thoughts cease to form?
It's called the "time of death." They probably even put it on death certificates.

• Sad
Reactions: cnm

About 20 seconds after your heart stops. You are still conscious until the O2 stops renders you dead
Technically it takes hours for all the cells to die in the body

When your awareness is gone. Your body may even still function in some manner due to the intervention of medical science but your life is over when your personality no longer exists. It's one of reasons I fear Alzheimer's worst than anything. There's no definable moment when someone can say there is nothing of you left.

It takes a little bit time for all brain cells to die

Life is over for me when one can't wipe their ass anymore
So if the brain died, but the other cells lived 20 more years, you would probably still mourn that person as gone, or essentially dead.

Forum List

Back