When an F-15 is better than an F-22 or an F-35

Daryl Hunt

Your Worst Nightmare
Oct 22, 2014
O.D. (Stands for Out Dere

Insider, Justin Bronk, a Research Fellow specializing in combat airpower at the Royal United Services Institute, revealed why the F-15, originally introduced four decades ago, is still more useful than either the F-22 or the F-35 in certain situations. The F-15 is a traditional air superiority fighter of the fourth generation. It’s big, fast, agile, and carriers lots of weapons under the wing where everyone can see them. For that reason, it’s terrible at stealth, but the other side of the coin is that it’s perfect for intercepting enemy aircraft.

China claims to have created a Quantum radar system which, if performs as claimed, virtually nullifies the advantage of stealth.

I'm not sure the US has published it's position on this as to whether or not the technology is viable, if the Chinese really have it and if the US has it.

If the US did have it and it were to be as claimed, then the push for more advanced US stealth aircraft would conceivably be diminished but probably not eliminated. I think I read that the US has invested nearly a TRILLION bucks into stealth technology. For certain, the Chinese and Russians would like the US to believe that technology is defeatable.

Personally, I see a weakness in over-reliance of ultra high technology. It's good to have, but I see problems in overly relying on it. Electronic jamming and other electromagnetic interference in combat could have devastating impacts on those relying too heavily on high tech rather than lethal lower tech.

Reminds me of an episode of a space movie I saw once where the aliens had used some high tech to jam the good guys photon cannons and shields and the only thing that saved the good guys was a stash of old gun powder powered hand guns.

Insider, Justin Bronk, a Research Fellow specializing in combat airpower at the Royal United Services Institute, revealed why the F-15, originally introduced four decades ago, is still more useful than either the F-22 or the F-35 in certain situations. The F-15 is a traditional air superiority fighter of the fourth generation. It’s big, fast, agile, and carriers lots of weapons under the wing where everyone can see them. For that reason, it’s terrible at stealth, but the other side of the coin is that it’s perfect for intercepting enemy aircraft.

When there are no tankers in site and the target is far far away

• Banned

When there are no tankers in site and the target is far far away

This is why the AF has not intention of getting rid of the F-15E. It's range is phenomenal. It even replaced the F-111 as a Nuclear Bomber. While the C model isn't long for the world, the E is newer and will be around for quite some time.

• Banned
China claims to have created a Quantum radar system which, if performs as claimed, virtually nullifies the advantage of stealth.

I'm not sure the US has published it's position on this as to whether or not the technology is viable, if the Chinese really have it and if the US has it.

If the US did have it and it were to be as claimed, then the push for more advanced US stealth aircraft would conceivably be diminished but probably not eliminated. I think I read that the US has invested nearly a TRILLION bucks into stealth technology. For certain, the Chinese and Russians would like the US to believe that technology is defeatable.

Personally, I see a weakness in over-reliance of ultra high technology. It's good to have, but I see problems in overly relying on it. Electronic jamming and other electromagnetic interference in combat could have devastating impacts on those relying too heavily on high tech rather than lethal lower tech.

Reminds me of an episode of a space movie I saw once where the aliens had used some high tech to jam the good guys photon cannons and shields and the only thing that saved the good guys was a stash of old gun powder powered hand guns.

We hear a lot of bragging coming from China. But when it gets to production it's a let down for them. Propaganda weapons only work on paper. As it stands now the only thing that you can target a US Stealth bird with is low frequency of IR and both are extremely short range. Much shorter than the weapons that will be attacking them.

Forum List

Back