What's the most important thing government does?

What would you say is the core purpose of government? Why do we need it? What part of it could we not do without?

I'm not trying to say (here at least) that government should be limited to this core purpose. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how others see the role of government in society.

Government exists to make and enforce the laws that the People want.

Nope. To make and enforce laws via the Constitution, not merely what people want.

People decide what is in the Constitution, and how it is interpreted. I'm not surprised you don't know that.

This is nonsense, the SCOTUS unilaterally interprets the Constitution, not the people.

So your position is that Neil Gorsuch has no business interpreting the Constitution because he wasn't put there by the People?

funny

None of the SCOTUS judges were voted on by the people, they are all unelected. They do not or should not be deciding what's in the Constitution or interpreting it based on what they think the people want.

What would you say is the core purpose of government? Why do we need it? What part of it could we not do without?

I'm not trying to say (here at least) that government should be limited to this core purpose. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how others see the role of government in society.

Provide national defense. Provide a system of courts to judge disputes between the many states. Provide a system of diplomacy to smooth trade with foreign nations.

That's about it..

Nope. To make and enforce laws via the Constitution, not merely what people want.

People decide what is in the Constitution, and how it is interpreted. I'm not surprised you don't know that.

This is nonsense, the SCOTUS unilaterally interprets the Constitution, not the people.

So your position is that Neil Gorsuch has no business interpreting the Constitution because he wasn't put there by the People?

funny

None of the SCOTUS judges were voted on by the people, they are all unelected. They do not or should not be deciding what's in the Constitution or interpreting it based on what they think the people want.

The boy has no clue as to the proper function of the three branches of government.

Supposedly the government's main job is to protect its borders. Our federal government attempts to do this is best described as an epic fail

The people of California wanted marriage between one man and one woman. It was called Prop 8. I guess it is there to enforce the laws that liberals want and not those they don't.

Government's main function:

Federal:

Protect the nation and our interests in the world
Act as custodian of the national lands
Act as an arbitrator in disputes between the States.

State:

There is no single answer to State functions. Each state can and does set its own standards of law and behavior.

The people of California are one fraction of the people.
Yet, My statement was not about a fraction of the people, but the attitude of those who claim they expect government to create and follow laws, then sue to stop the creation and adherence to those laws.

The people of California wanted marriage between one man and one woman. It was called Prop 8. I guess it is there to enforce the laws that liberals want and not those they don't.

You don't believe that the people of California also want courts in California and at the federal level to determine the constitutionality of laws?
this is an excuse to justify a poorly thought out position.

Government does things collectively that don't make sense individually

Schools, infrastructure, security, legal system, public health

Which people?

Government does things collectively that don't make sense individually

Schools, infrastructure, security, legal system, public health

Which of these would you consider the most important? What criteria would you use to decide which collective actions should be on the list, and which shouldn't?

The states decided when the ratified it. The People have the power to amend the Constitution, but they don't have the power to simply ignore it. or to blithely pretend it means something else.

But I'm not really interested in how we interpret the Constitution. I'm more interested in what you think the purpose of government is. It's sounds like you're saying the government is there to do whatever "The People" - by which I assume you actually mean a majority of the people - want it to do.

funny

Judges are appointed by elected individuals whose election delegates them the power to appoint judges.

The states decided when the ratified it. The People have the power to amend the Constitution, but they don't have the power to simply ignore it. or to blithely pretend it means something else.

But I'm not really interested in how we interpret the Constitution. I'm more interested in what you think the purpose of government is. It's sounds like you're saying the government is there to do whatever "The People" - by which I assume you actually mean a majority of the people - want it to do.

Let me try again. The purpose of government, if you believe in democratic government, is to reflect the will of the People.

Whatever that might be

Forum List

Back