What's the most important thing government does?

Contaminated food was one of the greatest killers, especially of infants; once they stopped breast-feeding, their food could expose them to typhoid fever, botulism, salmonella, and any number of microbes that caused deadly diarrhea in young children. (Death rates for infants were highest in the summer, evidence that they were dying of food contaminated by microbes that thrive in warm conditions.) Refrigeration, public health drives for pure and pasteurized milk, and an understanding of germ theory helped people keep their food safe. The Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 made it a crime to sell adulterated food, introduced labeling laws, and led to government meat inspection and the creation of the Food and Drug Administration.

These are more important than keeping bad guys from robbing, raping, or killing you?

The OP asked what the single most important thing was, that govt should do.

The government can't keep bad guys from robbing, raping or killing me. They can only punish them if they catch them...and then only if a judge/jury agrees. :)

The single most important thing the Federal government can do is stick to its enumerated rights...i.e. keep the engine running and well oiled - let the rest of the parts - state, county, city governments do their jobs.

If the OP wants one specific task that the Federal government should do - it is to remind all elected officials and federal employees who their real boss is, that the signature on the front of their paycheck reads - The People of the United States of America.

What would you say is the core purpose of government? Why do we need it? What part of it could we not do without?

I'm not trying to say (here at least) that government should be limited to this core purpose. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how others see the role of government in society.
Government throughout its myriad tentacles has one purpose, and one purpose only! TO SERVE ALL THE PEOPLE IT REPRESENTS! That IS its core and singular purpose!

What would you say is the core purpose of government? Why do we need it? What part of it could we not do without?

I'm not trying to say (here at least) that government should be limited to this core purpose. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how others see the role of government in society.
Government throughout its myriad tentacles has one purpose, and one purpose only! TO SERVE ALL THE PEOPLE IT REPRESENTS! That IS its core and singular purpose!

That's quite broad. How should government serve the people? Anything and everything?

Are there specific elements of anarchy that you object to?
I object to the mere existence of governance/political anarchy in the nation in which I am present at any point in time.

Why?
Because I prefer the opposite of anarchy.

Why are you playing "20 Questions" with me? If you have something you want to say, say it.

I'm just trying to get some useful information. Government is the opposite of anarchy. That's a given. But the thread is asking why - why is it important to have a government in the first place?

That's quite broad. How should government serve the people? Anything and everything?
The role of a governing body is as broad as it's founding document describes/permits it, be they Articles of Incorporation for a town or the Constitution of the United States and everything in between.

It ain't fucking rocket science! The extent of the government is proportional to the will of the people who agreed to be governed by the contract to which they agreed, no more, no less. It's not that hard to comprehend, is it?

The role of a governing body is as broad as it's founding document describes/permits it, be they Articles of Incorporation for a town or the Constitution of the United States and everything in between.

It ain't fucking rocket science! The extent of the government is proportional to the will of the people who agreed to be governed by the contract to which they agreed, no more, no less. It's not that hard to comprehend, is it?

No, that's easy. But it's now what I'm asking about. I know how constitutions work. I'm asking what you would put in a constitution as the government's primary responsibility. What, would you say, is the 'mission statement' of government?

Our country hasn't been invaded in 200 years, we can live without defense. We can't live without sewers and clean water

FAKE NEWS!

Attu and Kiska Island's were not only invaded, they were taken in 1942. It took us almost a year to even get a large enough force mustered up to route them, despite the consideration that it was a key strategic point in the Pacific.

Uh, I think you may be making rw's case, rather than countering it. Still, It's hard to imagine how sewers and clean water are more important than defense. Apparently rightwinger would choose being nuked over having to boil water before drinking it.

Look at the affects of disease vs the affects of wars
Even in war, disease kills more if there is no sanitation

Prior to our governments involvement in sanitation, our cities were open sewers. Not just drinking water, but infestations of rats and mosquitos that spread disease. Environmental protections instituted in the 60s protected our air and water supplies and stopped the dumping of toxic chemicals into our environment

Not many people living in the US have been killed because of a lack of military protection

Heh.. because we've generally had about ten times more military protection than we needed. But that doesn't change its primacy in modern government. There are lots of interesting theories about how a free society might protect itself without government, but that's still a pipe dream. Without some kind of military protecting our nation, clean water and sewers would be laughably irrelevant.

We maintain a military under the illusion that it "keeps us safe"

However, it is governments investment in public health and the environment that has kept us safe

We maintain a military under the illusion that it "keeps us safe"

However, it is governments investment in public health and the environment that has kept us safe

So, would you be ok with letting North Korea take over the US, as long as they invest in public health?

Last edited:

No, that's easy. But it's now what I'm asking about. I know how constitutions work. I'm asking what you would put in a constitution as the government's primary responsibility. What, would you say, is the 'mission statement' of government?
It is that easy and that COMPLEX! If that's what you're asking NOW, along with everything else, go back and edit your OP or include all your points and deviations of those meanderings at the start. But quit trying to move the goal posts and hijacking your own bloody thread! I sure as Hell am not going to dance to the tune you're piping!

Government is the opposite of anarchy.
Where in the Hell did you get that idea
I got that idea from the common definition of the words 'anarchy' and 'government'.

It is that easy and that COMPLEX! If that's what you're asking NOW, along with everything else, go back and edit your OP or include all your points and deviations of those meanderings at the start. But quit trying to move the goal posts and hijacking your own bloody thread! I sure as Hell am not going to dance to the tune you're piping!

Your call. It's not a trick question or anything.

We already have a mission statement. It is the constitution. I would add nothing.

I object to the mere existence of governance/political anarchy in the nation in which I am present at any point in time.

Why?

Why are you playing "20 Questions" with me? If you have something you want to say, say it.

I'm just trying to get some useful information. Government is the opposite of anarchy. That's a given. But the thread is asking why - why is it important to have a government in the first place?

In light of the "what" that I indicated be, in my mind, the most important thing government does, the "why" is clearly understood; however, I did note it my initial answer, so you already had the "why" part of my answer.

Why is government's standing as a bulwark against anarchy the most important thing government does?
Because it is the only thing governments can without exception and perfectly accomplish no matter what other strengths and/or shortcomings they have. That is far and away the most efficient/effective impact a government can have.
Stand as the most effective bulwark against anarchy.

You clearly already were aware of the "why," yet you persisted in asking me anyway. Did you think I might have had a different "why" if you asked again?

We already have a mission statement. It is the constitution. I would add nothing.

Except that the Constitution is, sadly, open to interpretation. What mission statement do you glean from it?

Why?

In light of the "what" that I indicated be, in my mind, the most important thing government does, the "why" is clearly understood; however, I did note it my initial answer, so you already have the "why" part of my answer.

Why is government's standing as a bulwark against anarchy the most important thing government does?
Because it is the only thing governments can without exception and perfectly accomplish no matter what other strengths and/or shortcomings they have. That is far and away the most efficient/effective impact a government can have.

You clearly already were aware of the "why," yet you persisted in asking me anyway. Did you think I might have had a different "why" if you asked again?

I guess not. Nevermind.

Why?

In light of the "what" that I indicated be, in my mind, the most important thing government does, the "why" is clearly understood; however, I did note it my initial answer, so you already have the "why" part of my answer.

I guess not. Nevermind.
Okay.

Forum List

Back