• I would give the man $5-$10

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • He's scamming; I wouldn't give him a dime

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
At a rest stop on the Massachusetts Turnpike, we were approached by a man for money to fix a part that had broken in his car. He mentioned the part, maybe some belt, but I can't remember what it was. He was dressed well, spoke very well, and didn't look inebriated or drugged. His story was that he was out of cash, and the part he needed would cost $18.00. He asked us for our name and address so he could repay us whatever we gve him.

Would you give the man $18.00, or some lesser amount?
Would you assume he is a scam artist and give him nothing?
Would you give him your name and address for repayment?

I'll post what we did afterwards.

no money and no name and address....

give him your name and address and your house will be robbed before you can get home

Scam artist alert! If the guy rich enough to be well dressed, it's safe to assumen that he has a credit card that he can use in emergencies, or that his auto insurance will pay (or partially pay) for towing services.

If he was clean and well spoken and no "red flags" were going off, I'd probably give him a few dollars.

I definitally wouldn't give out my address though.

"I'm sorry. I wish I could help but I never carry cash when I travel."

No money and certainly no address.

At a rest stop on the Massachusetts Turnpike, we were approached by a man for money to fix a part that had broken in his car. He mentioned the part, maybe some belt, but I can't remember what it was. He was dressed well, spoke very well, and didn't look inebriated or drugged. His story was that he was out of cash, and the part he needed would cost $18.00. He asked us for our name and address so he could repay us whatever we gve him.

Would you give the man $18.00, or some lesser amount?
Would you assume he is a scam artist and give him nothing?
Would you give him your name and address for repayment?

I'll post what we did afterwards.

Seems like a scam to me.
1. He was dressed well...
2. bet he had a credit card too.
3. phones are in the rest stops right?
4. many rest stops have attendants that could help the guy find the nearest bank.
5. Did he even have the tools to make the repair if he got the part?
6. How was he going to even get the belt/part?

Yep a scam IMO.. I would have never given my name and address.

I'm a pretty generous person Abby, but a well dressed gentleman at a rest stop who knows exactly what part is broken and how much it costs? Where's the auto parts store.....how is he getting there?? And, why would a well dressed man be traveling with no cash or credit cards? How is he paying for his gas.....

As a general rule when I travel I never use cash.....just a debit/credit card. I don't like prying eyes to see that I have cash....so I would probably have said what Got Zoom said.

If I had the money, I'd give it to him and give him my post office box number so he could repay me and my address would never be revealed.

How was he going to change the part? The part itself was only $18.00 but what was the cost of putting in the part. I would also assume he was close to home, had he been on a road trip he would have been better prepared for emergencies. Being close to home he could have contacted a co-worker, family member or the such to help him out.

I believe it was a scam.

How was he going to change the part? The part itself was only $18.00 but what was the cost of putting in the part. I would also assume he was close to home, had he been on a road trip he would have been better prepared for emergencies. Being close to home he could have contacted a co-worker, family member or the such to help him out.

I believe it was a scam.

Maybe he was out of town, his cellphone died, he didn't have any change, he had written his last check, there wasn't an ATM anywhere around, and he had a set of tools in his trunk.:dev1:

I'd give him the money, give him my address, go back home and wait next to the door with a baseball bat and my .45.

Ok, now for my real answer. I'd give him some cash if I wasnt getting any bad vibes. Depending on how much money I had, I may or may not give him the full $18. I wouldnt be afraid to round up to $20, either, so he could get a coke or something.

I'd ask to see the car. If there was a car and it was broken I'd give him the $18, if not I'd give him $5 so as not to have a situation. No address regardless though. Maybe a PO Box though.

Based on the info available though I'd say it's a scam.

Sure. And make sure you let us know which jail you will be calling home after you're caught.

What comes around goes around......I was there when it happened, so I guess I oughtta know. :D

It's not illegal to ask for money. No crime, no jail. I don't want your funny money though.:rotflmao:

Forum List

Back