What Should Happen To A Congressman That THREATENS A Reporter On Live TV?

What Should Happen When A Congressman Threatens A Reporter On Live TV?

• It should be ignored

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • He/She should resign

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Authorities should handle it

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Should it be ignored or dealt with?

And if it's dealt with, how should it be dealt with?

Should he or she have to resign?

Should authorities be called in and perhaps have them arrested?

What?

In any case, here's what a US Congressman did just last night...on Live TV!

GOP Congressman Threatens Reporter Live On Air | Crooks and Liars

It was a disgraceful set of things he said.

On the other hand, I suppose he was just shooting off at the mouth and not actually making any kind of threat with intent behind it.

What should be done?

Well, if you are a liberal and the offending Congresscritter happens to be a Republican, then OBVIOUSLY what "should" be "done" is keel hauling. Death by torture. Such like.

On the other hand, if you are a liberal and the Congresscritter were a Democrat, then you wouldn't even start a thread about it in a political message board.

amirite?
Wrong!

So you're saying that if the Congresscritter had made those asinine "threats" (or whatever they were) to a reporter and the Congresscritter happened to be a liberal Democrat, you WOULD definitely have made a similar thread about it?

Much as I have come to kind of like you (even if we rarely actually agree on stuff), I have to admit, I find that claim a bit (shall we say) "suspect."

I don't think he should resign.

I do think he gets told, if the journalist does not want to press charges this time, that the next time he does the perp shuffle in front of the cameras.

Should the congressman be charged with a criminal offense? I doubt it. First, here is what was said:

Grimm: "Let me be clear to you, you ever do that to me again I'll throw you off this fucking balcony."
Scotto: "Why? I just wanted to ask you..."
[[cross talk]]
Grimm: "If you ever do that to me again..."
Scotto: "Why? Why? It’s a valid question."
[[cross talk]]
Grimm: "No, no, you're not man enough, you're not man enough. I'll break you in half. Like a boy."

Was this a threat actionable under the criminal law? In my humble opinion, no. Here is an example that I believe every law school student is familiar with:

“Tuberville v Savage [1669] EWHC KB J25 is a famous English decision on the requirements for both the tort of assault and the common law criminal offence of common assault. The court held that a conditional threatening statement, without an imminent threat of harm, does not constitute an assault.

“Savage had made some insulting comments to Tuberville. In response, Tuberville grabbed the handle of his sword and stated, "If it were not assize-time, I would not take such language from you." Savage responded with force, causing Tuberville to lose his eye. Tuberville brought an action for assault, battery, and wounding, to which Savage pleaded provocation, to-wit Tuberville's statement.

“The Court considered the language used in the statement and found that Tuberville did not express any intention to do any harm to Savage in the given circumstances. Tuberville's express words were precisely that he was not going to harm Savage because the justices of assize were in town. Therefore, there could be no action for assault (putting someone in apprehension of immediate violence), as there is neither intent nor an act, at least one of which was required to establish an assault. Thus, Tuberville succeeded in his action.”

Tuberville v Savage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Using the same rational, the statement that he would throw the reporter over the balcony IF (a very important word) he did the same thing again was the same thing as saying that nothing the defendant already did would subject him to harm. Assault, commonly referred to as threat, requires proof that the defendant was in fear of immediate harm. “Conditional” threats do not place a defendant in fear of imminent harm and are not criminal in nature.

We'll they should be voted out of office but that isn't reality. In the real world it depends on what party they belong to. Democrats would get praised, while the GOP would get prosecuted.

That said, in the real world this would never have happened because a democrat doesn't threaten a reporter because reporters have the politician's dick in their mouths.

Rep. Grimm apologizes to NY1 reporter Michael Scotto, schedules lunch to pay penance

Michael Grimm told Scotto he 'overreacted' when he threatened him with physical violence after an interview Tuesday night. Scotto said he accepted the apology and believes it was sincere.

By Leslie Larson / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Wednesday, January 29, 2014, 9:29 AM
Updated: Thursday, January 30, 2014, 12:44 AM

Read more: Rep. Grimm apologizes to NY1 reporter Michael Scotto, schedules lunch to pay penance - NY Daily News

Louis in the Bronx. It's perfect for us. A small family place, good food. Everyone minds his business. Perfect. They've got an old-fashioned toilet. You know, the box and the chain thing. We might be able to tape the gun behind it.

gf1_1024_louis.jpg

Last edited:
It was a disgraceful set of things he said.

On the other hand, I suppose he was just shooting off at the mouth and not actually making any kind of threat with intent behind it.

What should be done?

Well, if you are a liberal and the offending Congresscritter happens to be a Republican, then OBVIOUSLY what "should" be "done" is keel hauling. Death by torture. Such like.

On the other hand, if you are a liberal and the Congresscritter were a Democrat, then you wouldn't even start a thread about it in a political message board.

amirite?
Wrong!

So you're saying that if the Congresscritter had made those asinine "threats" (or whatever they were) to a reporter and the Congresscritter happened to be a liberal Democrat, you WOULD definitely have made a similar thread about it?

Much as I have come to kind of like you (even if we rarely actually agree on stuff), I have to admit, I find that claim a bit (shall we say) "suspect."
One thing you will notice about me, is that even when someone I like do something wrong, I will not just defend them like that. I'll stay quiet if anything....if it's very bad. I won't say "Well he was right" or "everybody does it" or something like that.

To answer your question directly, no...I wouldn't have made a threat about it, but I wouldn't have defended such thuggery either.

One thing you will notice about me, is that even when someone I like do something wrong, I will not just defend them like that. I'll stay quiet if anything....if it's very bad. I won't say "Well he was right" or "everybody does it" or something like that.

To answer your question directly, no...I wouldn't have made a threat about it, but I wouldn't have defended such thuggery either.

You said "thug"!

Got a link that has a Democratic Congressman physically threatening a reporter?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oqIP9yagkQ]Congressman Bob Etheridge (D-NC) Assaults Student on Washington Sidewalk - YouTube[/ame]

idk? what should we do with a president who threatens an entire congress?

I believe the authorities should get involved.

The same thing that would happen if you or I were to threaten someone on live TV, telling them that I'd throw them off the balcony if they did x, y or z should happen to the Congressman.

If I'm not mistaken, a regular civilian would be sought out, and most likely arrested, then an investigation ensued.

I believe that's what should happen to this Congressman, and any other Congressman who would do the same. That was preposterous!

If a complaint is filed, the authorities would be involved. Did the reporter file a complaint?

Forum List

Back