What Should A Christian Do When He/She Knows His/Her Church Is Teaching False Doctrine

the_human_being

Gold Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ok. You are a Christian. You have studied the Bible yourself to show yourself approved. Now you have discovered that the church you attend is preaching one or more false doctrines. You know if you bring the matter up to the pastor you will probably be ridiculed and put down or considered a divider and troublemaker. What are you to do?

Do you continue to attend and tithe your money and support the continued spreading and teaching of this or these false doctrines?

Do you quit the church altogether?

What if there are no churches within your commute that do not embrace this/these false doctrines? Do you simply stop attending church altogether and watch a television broadcast from a pastor who does hold your beliefs?

Ok. You are a Christian. You have studied the Bible yourself to show yourself approved. Now you have discovered that the church you attend is preaching one or more false doctrines. You know if you bring the matter up to the pastor you will probably be ridiculed and put down or considered a divider and troublemaker. What are you to do?

Do you continue to attend and tithe your money and support the continued spreading and teaching of this or these false doctrines?

What if there are no churches within your commute that do not embrace this/these false doctrines? Do you simply stop attending church altogether and watch a television broadcast from a pastor who does hold your beliefs?

Approach the pastor privately. All churches have doctrines others disagree with.

If the pastor brushes you off, take it up with other members. If you find enough agreement, go to the pastor as a group.

If not, and you cannot live with it, leave. Or be a hypocrite.

I walked out of a bible class when I was sixteen, because I found out they believed in hellfire. I found a home with the spiritualists who do not believe in hell, but in many planes of existence, none of them eternal.
However I see no real need to go to a church, as God is everywhere.

In Judaism Rabbis can discuss/argue over the Torah
with each other or with students and still be friends at the end. If your spiritual leader can't be taljed with using scripture as reference and can't use scripture to explain his / her position then they are not a spiritual teacher worthy of your time nor should you let them corrupt you.
Note:
If the argument is over anything OT related then you should always refer to the Tanakh in English instead of the holy bible's Version of the OT since the NT has many rewrites and errors regarding their use of OT.

Out of curiosity, could you identify the false doctrine, or is that pretty much beside the point of this thread? The reason I ask, some disagreements are deal breakers, others, not so much.

Pray about where you are suppose to be. Your job and prosperity will be where the right church is for you. If attending church is your goal. Were you attending a denominational church?

Out of curiosity, could you identify the false doctrine, or is that pretty much beside the point of this thread? The reason I ask, some disagreements are deal breakers, others, not so much.

Certainly. The pre-tribulation rapture of the church, the doctrine of when a person dies a sinner he goes to a place of punishing while a saved person goes off to heaven to bliss, the belief that "to be absent from the body is to be with Christ, the doctrine that when Christ died he and the thief ran off to a place in the center of the earth called Paradise, the doctrine that Christ went somewhere and freed a bunch of souls in captivity there and led them up to heaven. That should do it for you.

There are 0 tv preachers teaching truth. they seek $$$$$. Any teacher seeking the tithe does not know Jesus--he brought a new covenant= Love--not written law--he also taught on the matter--the Pharisees all put their tithes in the pot--a little old woman put 2 small coins in the pot--Jesus said she put more in than all the tithes combined--she gave out of her heart, not by written law. tithe teachers are false teachers. They do not know Jesus.

Pray about where you are suppose to be. Your job and prosperity will be where the right church is for you. If attending church is your goal. Were you attending a denominational church?

Yes, a Baptist Church

I attended a Baptist church in my younger years. The preacher told me if I said 3 lines of prayer with him, I was born again( saved)--yet I was a drug dealer, drug taker, drunkard, thieving fornicator at the time. He must have missed the real only way one is actually born again=Ephesians 4:22-24-- because they do not teach truth. Joel Osteen says the same at the end of his tv shows--yet he doesn't know the majority of them from Adam--yet he confessed last year he is worth 70 million dollars--the real reason he is there.

Certainly. The pre-tribulation rapture of the church, the doctrine of when a person dies a sinner he goes to a place of punishing while a saved person goes off to heaven to bliss, the belief that "to be absent from the body is to be with Christ, the doctrine that when Christ died he and the thief ran off to a place in the center of the earth called Paradise, the doctrine that Christ went somewhere and freed a bunch of souls in captivity there and led them up to heaven. That should do it for you.

William Barclay, a Church of Scotland minister born at the beginning of the last century, wrote a set of books of biblical scholarship for the average reader. His scholarly volumes on the Book of Revelation are likely to be an eye opener for those who tend to get their doctrine of Revelation from ideas that were developed during the fifteen hundreds.

As for the eternal fate of departed souls: I tend to go mostly with Christ's remark that God is God of the living, not the dead; that those who choose a life close to God will be welcome in that kingdom; while those who choose to live apart from God and His way of being loving servants towards all will be able to dwell apart from God.

Jews and early Christians believed that souls may undergo purification (or purging of sin) after death. Jewish belief holds that such purification takes no longer than a year; Early Christian/Catholic belief assigns no time. One of Peter's letters possibly references Jesus preaching to these captives.

Some doctrines teach that upon death people enter soul sleep, and remain there until the end of the world when everyone rises together. My own belief/experience is that upon death people do not fall asleep, but enter into eternal life. However, I don't think people holding to the belief of soul sleep should be dismissed. There are passages in scripture that may suggest such a thing.

Well there's the reason why the OP and their preacher is at odds. 1)the Rapture is a mistake through not understanding expressions of the age and what was being described: like "clouds" meant gathering of temple priests not sky, so Dan is describing the head of host "son of man" coming with or out of clouds aka gathering of Kohanim up to Mt Zion for the Mikdash procession.
So Theslonian says it's the shout and call from Michael to his temple (Mikdash) [in his name]. THESLONIANS USED FOR RAPTURE TEACHINGS IS A GIANT BLUNDER NOT KNOWING WHAT CLOUDS MEANT NOR WHERE HEAVEN IS (Olam Habah=world to come=future).

2)Jesus admited he was the thief by claiming himself the morning star(Lucifer) and thief in "the night" (evening star Michael).
JESUS did fall to the pit (acts 2:27 and 1 peter 3:19 & Apostles creed) as fulfilling the son of perdition (to fall to hell)- (Ezekiel 28)
Claimed to be the gatekeeper of hell leting prisoners free-Rev 1:18 and that was the fallen prophet according to
Rev 9:1 the fallen star was given
the key to the shaft of the Abyss.
So the preacher is right but makes excuses for Jesus being the devil-messenger of death and this confuses the OP who is yet to figure out who and what they are teaching.

Don't believe me? Then why is the sign/symbol of death the cross used while the crossed out cross symbol of life is the iconograph known as the cross of
Michael (messenger of life)and also a symbol of the evening star is not the sole symbol used?
Deuteronomy\Devarim: 30:19I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day,That I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse;Therefore choose life, that you may live, you and your children.

So people chose the messenger of death=the curse that deceived 1/3 the world.

Forum List

Back