What policies should be implemented to address racism in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is where I came up with my figure. Jews were paid $1700 per quarter, starting in the 80s I think (it was less than that before then), and that is what the survivors are still getting. So, that’s $6800 a year. But since the Jews suffered more than the Jim Crow survivors - not to say that being degraded to drinking out of separate fountains and going to separate, often inferior isn’t awful, but they didn’t have their families killed in front of them and starved nearly to death - I think half, or $3400 a year, tax free, would be a good place to start.

As far as the Japanese, I think - I might be wrong on the amount - that they got a lump sum payment of $20,000. That could be another starting point.

Holocaust survivors, $1700 per quarter: A guide to compensation and eligibility for Holocaust survivors
You can’t quantify suffering imo. For one group it was the legacy of one event, for the other was a multi generational legacy. How can you quantify them? You can’t. And I heard arguments trying to marginalize the suffering and losses of one group in comparison to another, and I think it is abhorrent. It marginalizes one’s experiences and history. It’s all bad, let’s start from there.

I agree with both methods as a starting point however.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
You can’t quantify suffering imo. For one group it was the legacy of one event, for the other was a multi generational legacy. How can you quantify them? You can’t. And I heard arguments trying to marginalize the suffering and losses of one group in comparison to another, and I think it is abhorrent. It marginalizes one’s experiences and history. It’s all bad, let’s start from there.

I agree with both methods as a starting point however.
That you think the humiliation of the Jim Crow laws is as bad as what the Holocaust survivors lost, I’m speechless. It’s abhorrent.

But I know where you get that from. To liberals, everything is about “equity” and “everyone the same” type of thinking, But it’s wrong.

That you think the humiliation of the Jim Crow laws is as bad as what the Holocaust survivors went through, I’m speechless.

But I know where you get that from. To liberals, everything is about “equity” and “everyone the same” type of thinking, But it’s wrong.
Oh for heavens sakes, is that all it is to you…”humiliation”?

Oh for heavens sakes, is that all it is to you…”humiliation”?
Oh for heaven’s sake, I’m on multiple threads and abbreviating. So yes, it was worse than humiliation. But it is nowhere near having your property stolen. thrown into cattle cars, seen your wife and young son marched away from you, never to be seen again, and worked to almost-death with morsels for food for TWO YEARS to the point that you couldn’t eat more than a few spoonfuls at meals even 30 years later.

The Holocaust survivors had it worse, much worse, than Jim Crow blacks. That you are unwilling to admit that is abhorrent, but fits right in with your liberal mindset.

You CAN adress me directly you know, I'm not sure why this an issue for you, but give it a try. Also, I am a "she", if you can't address me directly, then use the right pronoun.

As to answering the question, it has been answered in this thread. I stated it should apply to those here prior to the Civil Rights legislation. As to "telling them"...not sure what the point is. The federal government pays, which means all Americans in essence, pay.
Referring to the above the poster was NOT you. Even if it was, so what? People have addressed my posts before. Do I mandate they address me directly? lol
You’re correct; the Federal Government pays. Which is why Reparations will never happen because it implies “ fault” to all including those ancestors were not even here

Referring to the above the poster was NOT you. Even if it was, so what? People have addressed my posts before. Do I mandate they address me directly? lol
You’re correct; the Federal Government pays. Which is why Reparations will never happen because it implies “ fault” to all including those ancestors were not even here
You sure are confusing. So do you then think reparations by the Germans to their Jewish victims was bad? Or the US reparations to the Japanese Americans? All ”implied fault to all”.

Oh for heaven’s sake, I’m on multiple threads and abbreviating. So yes, it was worse than humiliation. But it is nowhere near having your property stolen. thrown into cattle cars, seen your wife and young son marched away from you, never to be seen again, and worked to almost-death with morsels for food for TWO YEARS to the point that you couldn’t eat more than a few spoonfuls at meals even 30 years later.

The Holocaust survivors had it worse, much worse, than Jim Crow blacks. That you are unwilling to admit that is abhorrent, but fits right in with your liberal mindset.
If we want to play the oppression olympics, Jews endured what they did for just over a decade. Blacks did for 100 years. We are talking about 5 or 6 generations. Way more than 6 million died. Men were murdered, in at least one case a pregnant black woman was murdered by a white lynch mob, cut open, the fetus removed and shot. My mom and dad told me stories of the degradation they endured. You want to diminish everything about black people.

MOD EDIT: Race is now in Zone 1, no flaming members

Last edited by a moderator:
If we want to play the oppression olympics, Jews endured what they did for just over a decade. Blacks did for 100 years. We are talking about 5 or 6 generations. Way more than 6 million died. Men were murdered, in at least one case a pregnant black woman was murdered by a white lynch mob, cut open, the fetus removed and shot. My mom and dad told me stories of the degradation they endured. You want to diminish everything about black people.
Jews endured pogroms and persecution for over a thousand years. Educated Jews fleeing persecution in Europe where what fueled the Muslim advances in the Middle Ages. Pogroms in Russia fueled the massive immigration of Jews to the US in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Jews endured pogroms and persecution for over a thousand years. Educated Jews fleeing persecution in Europe where what fueled the Muslim advances in the Middle Ages. Pogroms in Russia fueled the massive immigration of Jews to the US in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Jew didn't endure the Holocaust for over a thousand years and that is what was being discussed. Furthermore many of those Jews biblically were not white. Judaism is a religion not a race and there are black jews today catching hell from white Jews. Now this shit you racists pull trying to make everything worse than slavery to absolve yourselves needs to stop. White jews owned slaves in America. David Sterling is a Jew. Do not be white and racist then whine about being a victim of antisemitism.

Coyote was right. There is no such thing as the oppression Olympics. And there is no such thing as using another groups oppression to deny current ongoing continuing white racism.

You sure are confusing. So do you then think reparations by the Germans to their Jewish victims was bad? Or the US reparations to the Japanese Americans? All ”implied fault to all”.
Reparations to the Holocaust Victims are unconditionally given ONLY to the Survivors which some still exist. Are families entitled? Yes, but there are CONDITIONS . There are those who lost entire families ( ONE SMALL EXAMPLE ( Otto Frank) and they did not automatically receive reparations

Jew didn't endure the Holocaust for over a thousand years and that is what was being discussed. Furthermore many of those Jews biblically were not white. Judaism is a religion not a race and there are black jews today catching hell from white Jews. Now this shit you racists pull trying to make everything worse than slavery to absolve yourselves needs to stop. White jews owned slaves in America. David Sterling is a Jew. Do not be white and racist then whine about being a victim of antisemitism.

Coyote was right. There is no such thing as the oppression Olympics. And there is no such thing as using another groups oppression to deny current ongoing continuing white racism.
Who are these “ Black Jews” catching hell from “ White Jews?” Out of the FARRAKHAN Handbook

We often get bogged down and navel gaze over what extent racism affects groups or doesn't, but what actual solutions do people have? People on the right love citing King with "content/character over color" but don't tell us how to get there. Meritocracy is only a platitude if it isn't enforced. It's like hoping and wishing that people won't commit homicide against one another. Without homicide laws and measures, it's a pipe dream.
Deportation of all Democrats

Reparations to the Holocaust Victims are unconditionally given ONLY to the Survivors which some still exist. Are families entitled? Yes, but there are CONDITIONS . There are those who lost entire families ( ONE SMALL EXAMPLE ( Otto Frank) and they did not automatically receive reparations
Yup. My grandmother lost her family (she was in America, which explains why she lived), including her only sibling, her mother, her brother-in-law, and her four young nieces and nephews. She never knew how they died, and exactly when…..it’s just that she never got another letter. She didn’t receive a dime, because she was not a DIRECT sufferer.

That blacks today think they should get money because five generations ago ancestors they never even knew were slaves is ridiculous.

So something similar would be appropriate for victims of Jim Crowe then?

Yup. My grandmother lost her family (she was in America, which explains why she lived), including her only sibling, her mother, her brother-in-law, and her four young nieces and nephews. She never knew how they died, and exactly when…..it’s just that she never got another letter. She didn’t receive a dime, because she was not a DIRECT sufferer.

That blacks today think they should get money because five generations ago ancestors they never even knew were slaves is ridiculous.
I just keep reminding myself that it isn't all blacks demanding reparations.

Successful black people who contribute something to society do not whine about reparations for the most part. They realize that there was nothing at all preventing their success and systems in place that actually make it easier as long as they apply themselves

The demands for reparations are arising from immature blacks unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions, who blame others for their own failings and simply do not want to apply themselves to the work necessary to succeed.

I just keep reminding myself that it isn't all blacks demanding reparations.

Successful black people who contribute something to society do not whine about reparations for the most part. They realize that there was nothing at all preventing their success and systems in place that actually make it easier as long as they apply themselves

The demands for reparations are arising from immature blacks unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions, who blame others for their own failings and simply do not want to apply themselves to the work necessary to succeed.
Yes. The middle and upper-middle class blacks in the DC area are appalled by the leftist narrative that blacks are all these oppressed victims deserving reparations. At a Loudoun County school board meeting, an area where SFHs approach $1 million and is among th richest counties in the country, a black father stood up and yelled that he does NOT want his son told his is a victim oppressed by whites.

Actually Judaism Is both religion and ”race”, you can be an atheist but still a Jew. Oppression Olympics is a good way to put it, and that is why I hate to pit one groups suffering against another, when each is unique.

It’s sad when we feel we have to put down one group in order to raise up another or maintain it in “1st place” on the suffering scale, and seems that is what is happening. As if there isn’t room for them all.

No one (in this thread at least) refuses to acknowledge the unspeakable atrocities of the Holocaust as having a singular place in modern history. But despite that, how can you compare an atrocity that was essentially one horrific event with one that was generations of oppression and cruelty inflicted by a government on a people?

The flippant “solution” is “well they had affirmative action, if they didn’t take advantage of it it is there fault”. This indicates, imo, a lack of understanding of what affirmative action is and of what reparations are.

We actually have two large groups (imo) who we, in the form of our government, owe Reparations…African Americans and Native Americans. I wonder what would happen if you pit those two against each other on the ”suffering scale”, would African Americans still come out on the bottom?

It also behooves me that two historically abused groups of people can not find common cause today.

Reparations by the way, isn’t just about getting cash. No matter what, any cash payment is going to be relatively small. It is about acknowledging the wrong done, and offering a path forward. Reparations offer a way to reconciliation.

1a : a repairing or keeping in repair. b reparations plural : repairs. 2a : the act of making amends, offering expiation, or giving satisfaction for a wrong or injury. b : something done or given as amends or satisfaction.

I think a lot of people miss the deeper meaning of reparations…yes, it is complicated, messy, and contentious. Look at how long it took to make reparations to the Japanese Americans we interned.

For both the Holocaust and slavery, reparations could never measure up to the crime committed. In its 1951 diplomatic note to Allied governments demanding compensation from Germany, Israel acknowledged this. “There can be no atonement or material compensation for a crime of such immense and horrifying magnitude,” it read. But according to Judaism’s own religious and philosophical thought, “reparations are not punitive,” writes American rabbi Shmuly Yanklowitz, who makes the case for slavery reparations in Yes Magazine. “They’re restorative.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back