What policies should be implemented to address racism in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about what the government owes us. Again we must stop repeating race baited rhetoric.. Whites have not earned their way without excluding people.
Yes they have. Not only do you have the same opportunities today, not every white person excluded other races. How dare you say whites haven’t earned their way. I havent excluded anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was composing a response. You aren’t the only person I am conversing with here. IMO, those who came here post Civil Rights would not get reparations. Who gets them would have to be worked out.
If you notice he doesn’t address that which is one of my responses. How are you going to tell immigrants who came here the last several years or those whose family came post 1965 they should pay? You can’t

If you notice he doesn’t address that which is one of my responses. How are you going to tell immigrants who came here the last several years or those whose family came post 1965 they should pay? You can’t
When it gets down to it, assigning people to a tribe based upon skin color is the very most primitive way of looking at the world and undermines everything liberalism has sought to address for centuries. This is the way ignorant, pre-enlightenment people viewed the world.

This very primitive outlook only results in perpetual conflict between tribes as people are not being judged according to their individual qualities, but only according to their tribe. Individuals are then held accountable, not for what they actually did, but for what others did who are perceived as being part of their tribe by those with the primitive outlook.

I am responsible for my actions and attitudes and you, yours. The central dynamic in all this involves people not wanting to be held responsible for ANYTHING they do or any attitude they have and then shifting this responsibility to those in the tribe they hate.

You CAN adress me directly you know, I'm not sure why this an issue for you, but give it a try. Also, I am a "she", if you can't address me directly, then use the right pronoun.

As to answering the question, it has been answered in this thread. I stated it should apply to those here prior to the Civil Rights legislation. As to "telling them"...not sure what the point is. The federal government pays, which means all Americans in essence, pay.

When it gets down to it, assigning people to a tribe based upon skin color is the very most primitive way of looking at the world and undermines everything liberalism has sought to address for centuries. This is the way ignorant, pre-enlightenment people viewed the world.

This very primitive outlook only results in perpetual conflict between tribes as people are not being judged according to their individual qualities, but only according to their tribe. Individuals are then held accountable, not for what they actually did, but for what others did who are perceived as being part of their tribe by those with the primitive outlook.

I am responsible for my actions and attitudes and you, yours. The central dynamic in all this involves people not wanting to be held responsible for ANYTHING they do or any attitude they have and then shifting this responsibility to those in the tribe they hate.
Yet Germans,who were not born at the time, feel a collective responsibility to pay those reparations. Americans did likewise with the Japanese who were interned.

Why should we be any different? Actually I do understand why, as a culture we lean heavily towards individualism and individual responsibility than a sense of collective responsibility.

Yet Germans,who were not born at the time, feel a collective responsibility to pay those reparations. Americans did likewise with the Japanese who were interned.

Why should we be any different? Actually I do understand why, as a culture we lean heavily towards individualism and individual responsibility than a sense of collective responsibility.
The Holocaust survivors and the Japanese prisoners were DIRECT victims of horrific treatment. Not even CLOSE to a 4th-generation descendant of slaves, who never even knew them.

All effort on the parts of blacks should be focused on taking advantage of the wonderful opportunities afforded them in this country, working hard, making responsible choices (I teach financial literacy as a volunteer, btw), and earning whatever they acquire - not demanding whites give them money.

The Holocaust survivors and the Japanese prisoners were DIRECT victims of horrific treatment. Not even CLOSE to a 4th-generation descendant of slaves, who never even knew them.

All effort on the parts of blacks should be focused on taking advantage of the wonderful opportunities afforded them in this country, working hard, making responsible choices (I teach financial literacy as a volunteer, btw), and earning whatever they acquire - not demanding whites give them money.
What about direct victims of the government policies of Jim Crowe?

What about direct victims of the government policies of Jim Crowe?
We are going over the same thing. Don’t you remember that I said that blacks still alive today who lived in Jim Crow states pre-Civil Rights should get an annual payment for the remainder of their years.

We are going over the same thing. Don’t you remember that I said that blacks still alive today who lived in Jim Crow states pre-Civil Rights should get an annual payment for the remainder of their years.
Ah I must have missed that or forgotten. Thanks :)

I totally agree with giving reparations to each and every black person who was ever enslaved.

Those who have grown up in a system that gives them preferential treatment in schooling and jobs have already received theirs.

If some black people do not take advantage of the reparations already extended them, that is rheir own fault and not the fault of a descendent of Scots-irish like myself.

Why do you think my sparkly blue eyes and pink complexion mean I was born with original sin, anyway?

Last edited:
Ah I must have missed that or forgotten. Thanks :)
Now that we agree that a certain segment of blacks should get reparations, what do you think the amount should be? I have a figure in mind, but you go first.

Last edited:
First question: do you want to address equal opportunity or equal outcomes (equity)? You can't have both, either you're going to give everybody equal pay whether they earned it or not, or you're going to try to give everybody the equal opportunity to get ahead. Too many people conflate the 2 things but they ain't the same.

First question: do you want to address equal opportunity or equal outcomes (equity)? You can't have both, either you're going to give everybody equal pay whether they earned it or not, or you're going to try to give everybody the equal opportunity to get ahead. Too many people conflate the 2 things but they ain't the same.
Equality?

When posters keep telling us that equality is racist, we better all get with the program and learn to judge a person on the cor of their skin and NOT the content of their character.

You can have both because we already have privileges given to white people because they're white.

I totally agree with giving reparations to each and every black person who was ever enslaved.
What about those who lived through Jim Crowe?

Those who have grown up in a system that gives them preferential treatment in schooling and jobs have already received theirs.
No they didn’t. That was a system that had one purpose, to open the door to minorities who were routinely denied jobs and educational opportunities. It wasn’t just African Americans and by the biggest beneficiaries were white women. The point of it (whether you agree with it or not was not “reparations” but to address a legacy of systemic inequalities.

If some black people do not take advantage of the reparations already extended them, that is rheir own fault and not the fault of a descendent of Scots-irish like myself.

There have been no reparations made and is saying it is any living person’s fault.
Why do you think my sparkly blue eyes and pink complexion mean I was born with original sin, anyway?

Why do you think I think that? It’s silly. The idea of reparations is not assigning individual guilt, it is for actions of our government in the policies and laws they passed.

Now that we agree that a certain segment of blacks should get reparations, what do you think the amount should be? I have a figure in mind, but you go first.
I do not have a figure in mind. THAT part is much more complex and regardless of what it is, it would really be just a token, like it has been for other groups, and not really address the lost wages, opportunities, and property or the suffering. How did they come up with an amount for the Japanese Americans we interned? How did Germany come with their restitution plan? Those might be where to begin.

I do not have a figure in mind. THAT part is much more complex and regardless of what it is, it would really be just a token, like it has been for other groups, and not really address the lost wages, opportunities, and property or the suffering. How did they come up with an amount for the Japanese Americans we interned? How did Germany come with their restitution plan? Those might be where to begin.
Yes, that is where I came up with my figure. Jews were paid $1700 per quarter, starting in the 80s I think (it was less than that before then), and that is what the survivors are still getting. So, that’s $6800 a year. But since the Jews suffered more than the Jim Crow survivors - not to say that being degraded to drinking out of separate fountains and going to separate, often inferior isn’t awful, but they didn’t have their families killed in front of them and starved nearly to death - I think half, or $3400 a year, tax free, would be a good place to start.

As far as the Japanese, I think - I might be wrong on the amount - that they got a lump sum payment of $20,000. That could be another starting point.

Holocaust survivors, $1700 per quarter: A guide to compensation and eligibility for Holocaust survivors

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back