What policies should be implemented to address racism in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except you made it that way when you said that Jews were not in as bad a position as blacks because they weren’t necessarily known to be Jewish, whereas blacks are known to be black.

And I’m not making it a competition. I’m explaining why your parallel of Holocaust survivors getting reparations is not comparable to blacks, generations removed from slavery. Holocaust survivors suffered physical (and psychological) damage that lasted them the rest of their lives. My step-grandfather was a Holocaust survivor, and he could never eat more than a couple of mouthfuls of food at a meal, and had to eat small amounts frequently to get enough nutrition. Even so, he never weighed more than 135 pounds at 5’10. Now can you say blacks alive today suffered that type of torment? NO.
No, blacks just live in community next to toxic waste, poisoned water, food deserts, etc. While the holocaust was going on blacks were getting killed and no one went to prison. Nazis have been put away for what was done to Jews, none of that has happened for blacks.

How is it different??? The only Jews to get reparations from Germany were the ones who survived - after an inhumane struggle nobody should ever go through again. If the U.S. still has living slaves, who survived being whipped and beaten and treated like cattle, THEN I’d say we owe them too.

The Jews who “merely” lost their entire families from a safe distance - as my grandmother did - didn’t get a penny. And that was in the same generation! So why should blacks, four and five generations removed who never even met their slave relatives, get a penny?
Because slavery didn’t end with emancipation. Inequality was codified with Jim Crowe, loss of property, vocation, even freedom and life continued all the way through to Civil Rights. In this country. Germany took full responsibility in it’s accounting, but we NEVER have…we just drag it out and then claim it’s too late, their all dead. Those who lost their families from a distance…presumably they aren’t German citizens so they wouldn’t get reparations just like blacks outside the US wouldn’t.

Well, it is true in terms of overt prejudice. It is pretty hard to hide skin color.

I’m not going to argue who had it worse, because both situations are horrific…to say otherwise kinda marginalizes one or the other’s suffering, like I said it isn’t a competition.

But are there those alive who suffered? Yes.
Yup, good way to skirt the issue. The reason you don’t want to say who had it worse - the direct Holocaust survivors who were tortured, saw their children snatched away in front of them, and lost their homes, or the descendants of slaves who never knew their ancestors and have enjoyed favoritism for two decades in college admissions, well…..the answer in obvious.

There is NO comparison to the tortured soul and broken down bodies of Holocaust survivors to today’s blacks, and it is offensive to even suggest that they are in the same ballpark, or city, or country, or planet.

Last edited:
No, blacks just live in community next to toxic waste, poisoned water, food deserts, etc. While the holocaust was going on blacks were getting killed and no one went to prison. Nazis have been put away for what was done to Jews, none of that has happened for blacks.
Some justice has been happening. Very slow…most will have died. Weren’t the perpetrators of the Birmingham church bombing finally brought to Justice recently?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
I was composing a response. You aren’t the only person I am conversing with here. IMO, those who came here post Civil Rights would not get reparations. Who gets them would have to be worked out.
I think you have to consider some additional things Coyote.

Citygroup did a study focusing on U.S. GDP from 2000 until 2020. The breakdown is as follows:

“Closing the Black racial wage gap 20 years ago might have provided an additional $2.7 trillion in income available for consumption and investment.

Improving access to housing credit might have added an additional 770,000 Black homeowners over the last 20 years, with combined sales and expenditures adding another $218 billion to GDP over that time.

Facilitating increased access to higher education (college, graduate, and vocational schools) for Black students might have bolstered lifetime incomes that in aggregate sums to $90 to $113 billion.

Providing fair and equitable lending to Black entrepreneurs might have resulted in the creation of an additional $13 trillion in business revenue over the last 20 years. This could have been used for investments in labor, technology, capital equipment, and structures and 6.1 million jobs might have been created per year.”

Some justice has been happening. Very slow…most will have died. Weren’t the perpetrators of the Birmingham church bombing finally brought to Justice recently?
The government is the problem and most of the policymakers are gone. The thing is if that signing the civil rights act had stopped everything them thing could be limited to people alive during that time, but it has not been that way.

I was composing a response. You aren’t the only person I am conversing with here. IMO, those who came here post Civil Rights would not get reparations. Who gets them would have to be worked out.
And what about a black doctor, earning $400,000 and admitted into medical school with a 3.2 GPA undergrad, while the white kid whose mother died when he was a child was sent away with a 3.7?

The black doctor already got reparations. In fact, the affirmative action policies that gave educational opportunities to two generations that they would not have had were they white, is repararions enough. All debts are paid.

Yup, good way to skirt the issue. The reason you don’t want to say who had it worse - the direct Holocaust survivors who were tortured, saw their loved ones snatched away in front and them, and lost their homes, or the descendants of slaves who never knew their ancestors and have enjoyed favoritism for two decades in college admissions, well…..the answer in obvious.
The only answer that is obvious to me is that you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder that makes it impossible for you to empathize African Americans. What about the little girl, still alive today who saw her sister and friends blown up by racists in a church bombing? There plenty of accounts like that. People like John Lewis who was brutally beaten to the point head injuries for marching to Selma to demand voting rights. The children attacked by police dogs and fire hoses. The remaining survivor of tbe Tulsa race riots. Do they deserve anything?

There is NO comparison to the tortured soul and broken down bodies of Holocaust survivors to today’s blacks, and it is offensive to even suggest that they are in the same ballpark, or city, or country, or planet.

• Love
Yup, good way to skirt the issue. The reason you don’t want to say who had it worse - the direct Holocaust survivors who were tortured, saw their loved ones snatched away in front and them, and lost their homes, or the descendants of slaves who never knew their ancestors and have enjoyed favoritism for two decades in college admissions, well…..the answer in obvious.

You think continuing racism hasn't had any effect on blacks living now?

Because slavery didn’t end with emancipation. Inequality was codified with Jim Crowe, loss of property, vocation, even freedom and life continued all the way through to Civil Rights. In this country. Germany took full responsibility in it’s accounting, but we NEVER have…we just drag it out and then claim it’s too late, their all dead. Those who lost their families from a distance…presumably they aren’t German citizens so they wouldn’t get reparations just like blacks outside the US wouldn’t.
You have got to be kidding.

Germany took full responsibility to its living survivors. There are no living slaves.

And are you telling me that white car mechanics and firemen have to pay all the wealthy blacks in the DC area with so much disposable income that they shop at Prada, eat at Morton’s, and own McMansions?

I bet most educated, professional, affluent blacks are mortified with the liberals constantly painting them as victims .

The only answer that is obvious to me is that you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder that makes it impossible for you to empathize African Americans. What about the little girl, still alive today who saw her sister and friends blown up by racists in a church bombing? There plenty of accounts like that. People like John Lewis who was brutally beaten to the point head injuries for marching to Selma to demand voting rights. The children attacked by police dogs and fire hoses. The remaining survivor of tbe Tulsa race riots. Do they deserve anything?
I was going to answer, but when you made a personal insult, I decided not to. You really need to learn how to debate without personally insulting the other person. Especially since you’re a mod.

And what about a black doctor, earning $400,000 and admitted into medical school with a 3.2 GPA undergrad, while the white kid whose mother died when he was a child was sent away with a 3.7?

The black doctor already got reparations. In fact, the affirmative action policies that gave educational opportunities to two generations that they would not have had were they white, is repararions enough. All debts are paid.
What about the white doctor with the 2.0 who was let into medical school in 1960 and blacks who had 3.7's couldn't, whose 2.5 GPA son gets into the medical school on legacy? Affirmative Action has benefitted white women the most. That's probably how you got your job.

You have got to be kidding.

Germany took full responsibility to its living survivors. There are no living slaves.

And are you telling me that white car mechanics and firemem have to pay all the wealthy blacks in the DC area with so much disposable income that they shop at Prada, eat at Morton’s, and own McMansions?
Reparations would be a case against the federal government. It's time to stop repeating race baited garbage.

That’s inaccurate. The doctor earned his salary. The same as any other medical school graduate. Affirmative action is not reparations, it was attempting to address the gross inequalities in hiring practices and college admissions. What’s more, the biggest beneficiaries were white women, like you and I.

• Love
I was going to answer, but when you made a personal insult, I decided not to. You really need to learn how to debate without personally insulting the other person. Especially since you’re a mod.
You were not personally attacked. Coyote hit you with some facts so you turned into a victim and started whining.

That’s inaccurate. The doctor earned his salary. The same as any other medical school graduate. Affirmative action is not reparations, it was attempting to address the gross inequalities in hiring practices and college admissions. What’s more, the biggest beneficiaries were white women, like you and I.
The point is the odds are that he never would have gotten into medical school were he white. Two out of three black students admitted to med school would have been rejected under the higher, white standards.

The point is the odds are that he never would have gotten into medical school were he white. Two out of three black students admitted to med school would have been rejected under the higher, white standards.
Bullshit. There are no higher white standards.

Umh…I suggest you look at the message you wrote that I was responding to. That was pretty much a personal insult :rolleyes:

• Thanks
There’s so much favoritism given to blacks these days that computer software programs automatically capitalize Black and lower case white. It’s a not so subtle way of trying to say that blacks deserve the honorific and whites do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back