Rangers
Vikings
76ers - racist year
Giants - super offensive if you hand pituitary Prob
49ers - offensive to middle age folks
Chiefs
Cowboys

we can probably erase half of them

Too many to name. One by one, they shall be replaced. Then it will go further, and anything somewhat violent, arbitrarily and subjectively offensive won't be used either, from the NHL alone: Black Hawks (for obvious reasons), "Hurricanes" (too violent and describes nature in a negative light), Golden Knights (glorifies history), Penguins (due to climate change), Oilers (due to fossil fuels and the damage they do), Senators (glorifies the Canadian government patriarch and privilege), Jets (military, which Canada hardly has anyways), Devils (religious connotation).

I could go on and on and I'm sure it will. Soon people will have to change their names too. If someone is named Johnny Black and he is White, that's misappropriation of another persons race.

Last edited:
Lots of people, especially many Native Americans, loathe the name of the Washington, D.C., NFL team, the Redskins.

"The origin of that name is rooted in murder and violence and genocide and hate," says Crystal Echo Hawk, the founder and CEO of the advocacy group IllumiNative. "It's a dictionary-defined racial slur, full-stop."

Too many to name. One by one, they shall be replaced. Then it will go further, and anything somewhat violent, arbitrarily and subjectively offensive won't be used either, from the NHL alone: Black Hawks (for obvious reasons), .
This is why it's important to know the origin, and how the view of the name has changed over time.

The National Hockey League (NHL)'s Chicago Blackhawks was named in honor of the U.S. 86th Infantry Division, which was nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division" after Black Hawk, a Native American chief

Why would you change a name given to honor a native american.

1594696889575.png

USS Dwight D. Eisenhower CVN-69
USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN-73
USS Abraham Lincoln CVN-72
USS George Washington CVN-73
USS Harry S. Truman CVN-75
USS Ronald Reagan CVN-76
USS George H W Bush CVN-77
USS Gerald R Ford CVN-78
USS John F Kennedy CVN-79
USS Clinton APA-144

*****SMILE*****

:)

In April 1942, the Tuskegee-trained 99th Pursuit Squadron deployed to North Africa, which the Allies had occupied. ... The tails of their planes were painted red for identification purposes, earning them the enduring nickname “Red Tails.”

It would be a fitting name for a washington dc team.

USS Dwight D. Eisenhower CVN-69
USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN-73
USS Abraham Lincoln CVN-72
USS George Washington CVN-73
USS Harry S. Truman CVN-75
USS Ronald Reagan CVN-76
USS George H W Bush CVN-77
USS Gerald R Ford CVN-78
USS John F Kennedy CVN-79
USS Clinton APA-144

*****SMILE*****

Launch Date: 29 NOV 1944
FEB1945-Commissioned: 1 FEB 1945
MAY1946-Decommissioned: 2 MAY 1946

Too many to name. One by one, they shall be replaced. Then it will go further, and anything somewhat violent, arbitrarily and subjectively offensive won't be used either, from the NHL alone: Black Hawks (for obvious reasons), .
This is why it's important to know the origin, and how the view of the name has changed over time.

The National Hockey League (NHL)'s Chicago Blackhawks was named in honor of the U.S. 86th Infantry Division, which was nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division" after Black Hawk, a Native American chief

Why would you change a name given to honor a native american.

I wouldn't change any name (well some I might consider if the argument is outlined about how truly offensive it might be), but it's not my call. The emblem on the crest might be offensive to people. Odd, as it was always my favourite looking NHL jersey, I love the colors of the jersey, the red and black, and the emblem.

Last edited:
Browns
Indians
Rangers
Vikings
76ers - racist year
Chiefs
Cowboys

Pirates- the association with the Somalian people.
Ohio State Buckeyes- too close to "Buckwheat" which offensive.
NC State Tar Heels- too close to "Tar Babies"
Nebraska Cornhuskers- too close to "Cornholers" a disrespectful name for sodomy.

In April 1942, the Tuskegee-trained 99th Pursuit Squadron deployed to North Africa, which the Allies had occupied. ... The tails of their planes were painted red for identification purposes, earning them the enduring nickname “Red Tails.”

Yeh but..The Redskins are a Washington State team..Are you from America?!

Browns
Indians
Rangers
Vikings
76ers - racist year
Chiefs
Cowboys

In the Olympics , getting Guinea and Equatorial Guinea to change their names is essential to avoid offense to the Italians. Ditto with Greece that some might find to be too close to the slur "Grease Ball".

Yeh but..The Redskins are a Washington State team..Are you from America?!

Read it agian. I never said the redskins should become the red tails. I said it would be a good name for a Washington DC team.

Or would you prefer the team name "Black Lives Matter"

It's a slur against menstruating women

In the Olympics , getting Guinea and Equatorial Guinea to change their names is essential to avoid offense to the Italians. Ditto with Greece that some might find to be too close to the slur "Grease Ball".
Should we get rid of common idioms too?

A chink in the armor - sounds like the army in Tiananmen Square

A nip in the air - sounds like dec 7th at pearl harbor

What do you bet the CEO's of the Raiders thought, "We're losing our asses this year because of the political scene and pandemic. Let's change our Moniker to something very different so we have fans going out and buying new attire with our new logos???? We get 50% of each sale. Politically safe and economically smart.

Forum List

Back