What Most of Us Don’t Know About Spelling Bee Contestants

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
karthik-1280x720.jpg

So they’re smart and spell real good. And the runner-up misspelled “Bewusstseinslage.” [I used to be fluent in German and have no idea what it means. But, if it was spoken to me, I could’ve spelled it because, like Spanish, Germans speak every letter of every word.

Back to the main point. Here’s what blew me away:

Who are these kids?

Some of these students’ parents pay more than $200 an hour to have their prodigies coached by an expert, and the ages of competitors range from 8 to 15. So in the long-term, the real money is in coaching hopeful prospects later.

Not only do kids from every state in the U.S. compete, a number of other countries send their brightest young spellers.

Of the past 23 champions, 19 have had Indian heritage. Karthik is the 14th consecutive Indian-American to win the grand prize.

More @ The spelling bee is over – you know you want to see which word won it all

Here's What It Takes to Win the Scripps National Spelling Bee, According to the Victor's 16-Year-Old Coach @ Here's What It Takes to Win the Scripps National Spelling Bee

Interesting, but I can see it and am not too much blown away. Know I was never able to afford that for my kids but more power to those who can. My main opinion is that I feel better about these parents than I do those who spend any dough on making their 6-year-old daughters dress as hookers for child beauty contests.

karthik-1280x720.jpg

So they’re smart and spell real good. And the runner-up misspelled “Bewusstseinslage.” [I used to be fluent in German and have no idea what it means. But, if it was spoken to me, I could’ve spelled it because, like Spanish, Germans speak every letter of every word.

Who are these kids?

Some of these students’ parents pay more than $200 an hour to have their prodigies coached by an expert, and the ages of competitors range from 8 to 15. So in the long-term, the real money is in coaching hopeful prospects later.

Not only do kids from every state in the U.S. compete, a number of other countries send their brightest young spellers.

Of the past 23 champions, 19 have had Indian heritage. Karthik is the 14th consecutive Indian-American to win the grand prize.

More @ The spelling bee is over – you know you want to see which word won it all

Here's What It Takes to Win the Scripps National Spelling Bee, According to the Victor's 16-Year-Old Coach @ Here's What It Takes to Win the Scripps National Spelling Bee

Sounds boring and sounds like there are better things to learn.

karthik-1280x720.jpg

Who are these kids?

Sounds boring and sounds like there are better things to learn.

This from the local board spelling Nazi!

Forum List

Back