What Is Trump's Problem With DeSantis?

And I could see DeSantis taking that deal. Trump would only get 4 more years so DeSantis would be the front runner for 2028.
That's why Duhsantis is keeping his mouth shut about that lunatic Trump. The entire Trump/Desantis fued is a sham.

President and vice president candidates can't be from the same state.

I agree functionally, but technically this isn't quite true. Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates can be from the same state.

Let me explain. The 12th Amendment says "The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; ... "

The limitation is on how the Electoral College electors from that 1 state (being the same for electors and candidates) can vote. They can vote for one or the other candidate but they cannot cast their vote for BOTH candidates.

So in 2024 Florida has 30 Electoral College votes. Once the election is held they meet in the state capital on December 14th to official cast the votes that are transmitted to Congress. The EC electors could cast their 30 votes for Trump as President, but then they could not cast votes for DeSantis as Vice President.

What isn't clear, since it's never happened before is how are the EC votes then counted by Congress. There are 538 electors casting vote meaning normally 270 wins the race. If 30 votes are - for one office or the other - aren't counted. Does the threshold remain 270 to win or does it become 255? That I'm not sure of, and I'm not sure if anyone really know.
If there were to be a Trump/DeSantis ticket it will be a hoot to see how they address the issue. When there was a Bush/Chaney ticket, both from Texas, Chaney moved to Wyoming to evade just such a problem.

If there were to be a Trump/DeSantis ticket would:
  • Trump move out of Florida and establish a new residence somewhere else? (I don't see this happening due to ego.)
  • Would DeSantis resign as the Florida Governor and move to a new state? (I don't see this happening either, as it will make him a laughing stock.)
  • Will they both stay in the same state and one or the other taking a hit on the EC vote count? (Given how close elections are now, this won't happen. Why? Because Trump could end up with a DEM VP.)
Personally I don't think there will be a Trump/DeSantis ticket. Trump wouldn't take the VP slot, nor do I think DeSantis will. DeSantis taking the VP slot make him subordinate to Trump and that is a measurement that DeSantis will not allow.

WW

Last edited:
I agree functionally, but technically this isn't quite true. Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates can be from the same state.

Let me explain. The 12th Amendment says "The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; ... "

The limitation is on how the Electoral College electors from that 1 state (being the same for electors and candidates) can vote. They can vote for one or the other candidate but they cast their vote for BOTH candidates.

So in 2024 Florida has 30 Electoral College votes. Once the election is held they meet in the state capital on December 14th to official cast the votes that are transmitted to Congress. The EC electors could cast their 30 votes for Trump as President, but then they could not cast votes for DeSantis as Vice President.

What isn't clear, since it's never happened before is how are the EC votes then counted by Congress. There are 538 electors casting vote meaning normally 270 wins the race. If 30 votes are - for one office or the other - aren't counted. Does the threshold remain 270 to win or does it become 255? That I'm not sure of, and I'm not sure if anyone really know.
If there were to be a Trump/DeSantis ticket it will be a hoot to see how they address the issue. When there was a Bush/Chaney ticket, both from Texas, Chaney moved to Wyoming to evade just such a problem.

If there were to be a Trump/DeSantis ticket would:
  • Trump move out of Florida and establish a new residence somewhere else? (I don't see this happening due to ego.)
  • Would DeSantis resign as the Florida Governor and move to a new state? (I don't see this happening either, as it will make him a laughing stock.)
  • Will they both stay in the same state and one or the other taking a hit on the EC vote count? (Given how close elections are now, this won't happen. Why? Because Trump could end up with a DEM VP.)
Personally I don't think there will be a Trump/DeSantis ticket. Trump wouldn't take the VP slot, nor do I think DeSantis will. DeSantis taking the VP slot make him subordinate to Trump and that is a measurement that DeSantis will not allow.

WW
The rules are defined pretty well. If a state does not vote for a vice presidential candidate, you could end up with a vice president who was not the president's running mate.

You know I honestly don't get it. I know that they both love America but Trump seems to be putting Trump first lately and ignoring his signature line of putting America first and DeSantis definitely could get the job done just as well.
Wow...

The rules are defined pretty well. If a state does not vote for a vice presidential candidate, you could end up with a vice president who was not the president's running mate.

Correct.

Trump as President ending up with Harris as Vice President would be freaking hilarious.

WW

You think if Trump and DiSanta wanted to do this that would stop them? Ha!

Just remember you guys argued Ted Cruz should be able to run for POTUS even though he was born in Canada.
I believe they would hatch some sort of scheme to try to bypass the rules, no matter how wrong and unethical that scheme might be. I never argued Cruz is qualified for anything, except possibly as a snake oil salesman.

I believe they would hatch some sort of scheme to try to bypass the rules, no matter how wrong and unethical that scheme might be. I never argued Cruz is qualified for anything, except possibly as a snake oil salesman.
If you see Cruz going to Cancun, you know winter will be longer.

Useful for that.

Trump is from NY. Or he can say he is. Then he votes in both states I bet. This is why Republicans believe everyone else gets away with voting twice. You have to have homes in multiple states to get away with it. Florida is not checking to see if Trump voted in NY.

Trump is from NY. Or he can say he is. Then he votes in both states I bet. This is why Republicans believe everyone else gets away with voting twice. You have to have homes in multiple states to get away with it. Florida is not checking to see if Trump voted in NY.
I would bet NY checked to make sure he didn't vote there. I'm disgusted that he is so unethical till they would have to check.

41UbSM2vC8S._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Trump has always loved Trump first. He used fake patriotism as a popularist grift and some people bought it. It was never about MAGA. It was about him betting into the history books as President.

WW
You act like the majority of the career politicians in Washington aren’t self serving.

You act like the majority of the career politicians in Washington aren’t self serving.
And potential 2024 GOP presidential candidate DeSantis has tried to transform himself from “a sort of nondescript political leader and member of Congress” into “a local Mussolini in Florida with the book banning and the brutal tactics and even this week this suggestion that bloggers have to register with the state for the honor of writing about the governor and other political leaders,” he said.
“We have to call this what this is,” Beschloss added. “This is fascism and authoritarianism that goes even beyond what Trump has talked about. That’s what he thinks is going to work in that party and in a way that’s the scariest thing of all.”

DeSantis is acting like a little Mussolini. You right wingers like his message? That is scary.

IF we don't start getting some people into government service,
Who are NOT part of the extremes from either major party
We are going to have some extreme problems coming soon.

We have extreme problems now.

Probably happen until we change the voting system. Or voters wise up. Not holding my breath on either.

That's the problem right there.

Fundamentally what happens is that candidates have to drive to the extremes to win a primary because it's the whack-a-doodles that vote in the primary.

But it's the middle that wins election. (40% will vote "D" no matter what, 40% will vote "R" not matter what. It's the 20% in the middle that decide elections.)

By the time we get to the General Election there are no longer reasonably sane people on the ballot. The only options tend to be RWNJs or LWNJs.

WW

And I support him for it. I wouldn't expect many left leaning individuals to support anyone the RNC nominates.
Especially those who think it's OK for government ran schools to teach things like CRT, and gender fluid crap.
Racial diversity teaches children they're different because of their race. That in itself is the backbone of that agenda.
A six-week abortion ban and crackdown on hiring undocumented migrants will likely play well in a Republican presidential primary but could hurt in 2024.

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) kicked off Florida’s annual legislative session on Tuesday with a call to allow the carrying of concealed weapons without a permit and a crackdown on the hiring of undocumented immigrants — priorities that would endear him to Republican presidential primary voters — but failed to touch on an even stricter abortion ban that he supports.

He promised stricter penalties for fentanyl dealers and to “treat them like the murderers they are.” He would get tougher on illegal immigration: “Florida is not a sanctuary state, and we will uphold the rule of law.” He vowed to prohibit China from buying up land in the state: “We will not allow land grabs by CCP-backed businesses in our state,” he said, referring to the Chinese Communist Party.
And he said he would expand on last year’s banning of sexuality and gender discussion in the early grades. “Our schools must deliver a good education, not a political indoctrination,” he said.
DeSantis, who is expected to announce his candidacy for the 2024

“We welcome pro-life legislation,” he said.

Polling, however, shows that abortion restrictions are unpopular with most Americans and that last year’s overturning of Roe v. Wade by the Supreme Court was a big reason why Republicans did poorly in the 2022 midterms.
While providing fresh fodder for his anticipated run for president, DeSantis’ priorities will do little to address the biggest problems his constituents face, such as massive increases in property insurance premiums, the loss of health care insurance for 1.8 million Floridians, and yet another spring and summer of red tide along the state’s southwest and southeast coasts.
DeSantis already solved the one looming disaster his potential presidential candidacy faced during a special session last month, when he undid a $1.2 billion property tax increase on Central Florida taxpayers that was set to take effect on June 1 thanks to a law he rammed through a year ago to punish the Walt Disney Co. The new law leaves the structure of Disney’s taxing districting largely untouched, although it replaces a board chosen by Disney with one picked by DeSantis.
Meanwhile, one proposal that DeSantis did not mention in his remarks on Tuesday that is likely to pass is a modification of the state’s “resign to run” law, which states that candidates seeking a new office must resign their current position as of the start date of the term they are seeking.
DeSantis, who was reelected in November for a second four-year term, would under the commonly understood interpretation of the statute have to resign effective Jan. 20, 2025, should he declare his candidacy for president.

Forum List

Back